23 (43.4%)
Good. But way over-hyped.
20 (37.7%)
Not really.
7 (13.2%)
Awful.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 12272 times)

Bryndled1

Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
*I* have not read a single page of harry potter though I have been pressured from numerous sources, However my youngest daughter is a Fanatic! for her harry potter is right up there with Jack skellington and Tamora Peirce. She even won a "Hermione-look-alike" contest at the midnight release of Harry Potter and the half-blood prince.

Offline Arthum

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
A good series but not the best. I know that Rowling started writing for her kids alone but I think it was good for her style to publish the series. I could see how she developed, even if I haven't read all the books yet I plan on doing so. The part which I liked the most was the Order of Phoenix.
Well the success of Harry Potter really brought up a few dull and uninteresting romances :/ Like the twilight saga, personally I haven't read the books but I read a few reviews online and every review just put me off from the thought of reading those. Vampires walking in the day? Not for me. Even though the conflict between werewolves and vampires it is not a series for me. I get reeeeeaaaaaaly bored by romances :/

jswinds

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »
I completely agree that they helped draw young people and adults into books. Which is definitely positive.
This is the biggest plus about Harry Potter and Twilight - people are venturing into libraries and bookshops that never would have normally, and getting them through the door is half the battle.

As for my thoughts on Potter itself, I thought it was an excellent series, and incredibly enjoyable, up until the end of Goblet Of Fire, I feel that the writing and storyline really took a nose-dive afterwards, and the last instalment ( particularly the ending ) was dire.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
I've never quite figured out why the Twilight books got as much fan support as they did.  Sorry, but sparkly vampires, werewolves that shape shift at will, and way too many overtones of pedophilia (come on…the werewolf dude loves her, then when she chooses the vampire, takes her daughter instead?  CREEPY)…yeah, not so much.  Not to mention that I read the first chapter of the first book, and the writing was beyond bad.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Bryndled1

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »
I've never quite figured out why the Twilight books got as much fan support as they did.  Sorry, but sparkly vampires, werewolves that shape shift at will, and way too many overtones of pedophilia (come on…the werewolf dude loves her, then when she chooses the vampire, takes her daughter instead?  CREEPY)…yeah, not so much.  Not to mention that I read the first chapter of the first book, and the writing was beyond bad.

I was very lucky in that my daughters are discerning enough readers not to get caught up in the whole "twilight" mania. I dont know how many times those books have been "recommended" to me. =/

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 07:16:23 AM »
My daughter (she's 14) told me, and I quote 'Twilight is a cult.' 

I'm good with that.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline Arthum

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 08:07:19 AM »
For me hearing that Twilight is a kind of a romance book put me off from reading the whole series. It just shows that everybody CAN write and publish something strange as long as it is appealing to the readers. That is what I would like to avoid in my writing. Not to end up with a badly written book just for the public, and most often those usually brainless little girls. Not to offend anyone but that is how polish readers of Twilight are.

Bryndled1

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »
well 13 year old girls are the largest buying demographic of the world, why not take their hard earned babysitting money

Offline Arthum

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 11:53:06 PM »
well 13 year old girls are the largest buying demographic of the world, why not take their hard earned babysitting money

For Poland make it usually 16 year old girls who are called by Polish people as Pokemon and make it cash taken from the parents. Not to offend anybody those girls are mostly blond and really dumb, but I'm not the one to generalize I just said what I heard and read on the web.

Offline Captain-Dr-Proffesor

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »
Harry Potter, for me at least, is what turned me onto the fantasy side of reading. I have always enjoyed reading, but up until then I had not had a specific genre that I liked to read. When I picked up a Harry Potter book, JK Rowling opened me up to the magic, the wonder, and the joy of finding a new world beyond reality. Without the Harry Potter series, which I admit, is nothing new or special, I would not be the fantasy reader I am. In spite of it's flaws, I think that the series is a wonderful way to open people up to the fantasy genre.

Offline The Mad Hatter

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
I completely agree that they helped draw young people and adults into books. Which is definitely positive.
This is the biggest plus about Harry Potter and Twilight - people are venturing into libraries and bookshops that never would have normally, and getting them through the door is half the battle.

As for my thoughts on Potter itself, I thought it was an excellent series, and incredibly enjoyable, up until the end of Goblet Of Fire, I feel that the writing and storyline really took a nose-dive afterwards, and the last instalment ( particularly the ending ) was dire.

Amen. It was incredible going to midnight releases with the kids, and seeing people there who I knew. People who I knew didn't read a damned word. But they were there for their kids! People in some cases who ended up reading the books too, either to see what their kids were reading, or to see what all the excitement was about. And who in some cases who kept on reading.

I know an incredible number of people who either don't read, or can't read. Rowling got some of them reading, and she got a lot of their kids reading.

Sure there were problems with Harry Potter, but by damn, it got people reading. It's the same with Twilight. My wife's views on Twilight verge on unprintable, and she doesn't swear. Problems aside, both series got people reading. And from that point of view they were a success. Even if parts of them stunk.

Wayne aka The Mad Hatter

Offline Zziz

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »
Why is this in the non-fantasy books forum? Harry Potter is as fantasy as it gets. Wizards, magic, dragons, spells, wands?

I thought the Potter series was brilliant. And it wasn't popular because of the movies, whoever said that. Actually, the movies are complete rubbish. The writing may not be elaborate and flowery, but Rowling creates a world that exists within our own, which is what makes it so accessible and magical.

I still can't believe this is under non-fantasy. Shit, Harry Potter is what has gotten a TON of readers into the genre.

Bryndled1

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »
I think because it was a poll, its the only reason I can imagine it here.

Offline Zziz

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:04 AM »

The poll would be equally relevant in the main forum, I think.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:09:17 AM »

The poll would be equally relevant in the main forum, I think.

I put it in the non-fantasy section before the site got 'popular' so to speak. At the time it was very, very fantasy orientated. Although Harry Potter is of course a Fantasy novel, it didn't fit very well with the topics we had going on at the time. I could move it I guess... but then people looking for it might not see it so I stuck with leaving it here! :P

It's a fantasy book, but it is unique in the sense that its readers would not see themselves as Fantasy fans :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering