February 23, 2020, 06:57:06 PM

Author Topic: Dune, 50 Years On  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Dune, 50 Years On
« on: July 05, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
Apparently it's been 50 years since Dune was published, and the Guardian have posted a nice retrospective on it (contains a lot of spoilers, so don't read the article if you plan to read it).

Really love that book, I'm always wishing I could find something that manages to capture the intense sense of peace that some of the desert sequences portrayed for me. I'm reading the part of the Wheel of Time where Rand is in the Aiel waste, and it just feels like a poor homage. I'll have to give Dune another re-read sometime...  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dune, 50 Years On
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
I read it a couple of years ago and was quite disappointed. I expected more of a space opera with battles in Space, whereas it read more like a fantasy for me with the prophesized one fulfiling his destiny. The retrospective in the Guardian though was very good and made me realise I had perhaps been unfair.  Perhaps my mistake was reading it in my 30s not my teen years and comparing it to the novels which have come since and built on its legacy. Particularly intriguing how much Star Wars owes to Dune.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
I read it a couple of years ago and was quite disappointed. I expected more of a space opera with battles in Space, whereas it read more like a fantasy for me with the prophesized one fulfiling his destiny. The retrospective in the Guardian though was very good and made me realise I had perhaps been unfair.  Perhaps my mistake was reading it in my 30s not my teen years and comparing it to the novels which have come since and built on its legacy. Particularly intriguing how much Star Wars owes to Dune.
Yeah I wasn't expecting a space opera, and it definitely feels more like a fantasy so I can see why it'd be a disappointment if that's what you were expecting. Don't remember when I first read it, but I've re-read it every few years since and still think it's brilliant, especially the section where Paul is getting to know the Fremen culture.  :P

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
I've never read the book :-[

I saw the film when it came out, I was 14, and I completely fell in love with it (teenage me and all ;D).
And the same way than when I read a book first, I usually don't like to watch the film, years later when I finally discovered that it was based on a book, I didn't really want to read it, because of the film.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »
I've never read the book :-[

I saw the film when it came out, I was 14, and I completely fell in love with it (teenage me and all ;D ).
And the same way than when I read a book first, I usually don't like to watch the film, years later when I finally discovered that it was based on a book, I didn't really want to read it, because of the film.
I've never seen the film, from what I've heard from people who have and liked the book too, it's best to treat them as separate stories. It's been on our watchlist for years now, can't really make ourselves particularly interested though...  :-\

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
there's the film, and then there was also a SyFy mim-series. i quite liked the mini-series. it had none of the grand vision of the movie, but it told the story more fully and more coherently.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline asabo

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
I loved Dune up until
Spoiler for Hiden:
Paul became the worm
. It lost something for me after that.

I did not like the movie - Sting in a speedo notwithstanding - it didn't get a lot right. The Syfy mini-series was better, but different from the book. There is too much in those books to translate to film. And I had such strong feelings about certain characters. Might be time for a reread.
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »
I loved Dune up until
Spoiler for Hiden:
Paul became the worm
. It lost something for me after that.
Isn't that in the sequels? I didn't really like any of them at all, from what I can remember.  :-\

Offline NedMarcus

Has anyone read the complete Dune series?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
I've just reread Dune and Dune Messiah and enjoyed them. The sequel was slow to start, but the empathy it developed for the main characters was strong. I'm now reading Children of Dune, and so far so good. The books definitely feel more science fantasy than science fiction.

Has anyone here read all six books?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 12:42:51 AM »
Wow, @NedMarcus , what a great bit of threadomancy. And what a pleasure to see @Raptori’s name as the previous poster!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »
I cheated and had them on audiobook, but yes. After the first the only one I really remember is Chapterhouse Dune.

I don't think it's considered very good but I loved the Bene Gesserit and their 'evil' splinter group the Honored Matres who returned from the Scattering to conquer the galaxy with addictive sex (not even a joke).

Offline Skip

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 02:01:52 AM »
I read Dune as a teen back in the 60s. Then I read it aloud to my wife some time around 1972. It still held up except for one thing: the barking. Duncan barked. The Baron barked. Sooner or later, everyone barked. It got to the point where I would use "said" just because it was sort of embarrassing.

Looking back now, that was my first lesson in dialog tags. :)  And, I suppose, in the difference between reading silently and reading aloud.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »
It still held up except for one thing: the barking. Duncan barked. The Baron barked. Sooner or later, everyone barked. It got to the point where I would use "said" just because it was sort of embarrassing.

Looking back now, that was my first lesson in dialog tags. :)  And, I suppose, in the difference between reading silently and reading aloud.

I never noticed the barking ;D Perhaps this is something to be aware of if converting to audiobooks.

Offline Skip

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »
Yup. I never noticed it on my first read either. Only when I read aloud.
Visit Altearth