February 24, 2020, 06:35:36 PM

Author Topic: Doctor Who Jodie Whittaker signs for 3rd season  (Read 1017 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Doctor Who Jodie Whittaker signs for 3rd season
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
Yay! I never watched Doctor Who before her, to be honest, but I find her really entertaining :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Bender

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:29:35 PM »
I've read most of books but never seen the show.

Is it something you can pick up from latest season or have to watch from S1?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline hexa

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 11:08:07 PM »
You can pick it up anywhere

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 05:08:26 AM »
Not seen Dr.Who in decades but get the impression all is not well. Massive drop in viewers and complaints that it lectures the audience and terrible ratings don't encourage me to do so.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:55:36 AM »
I like Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor but the show direction has been pretty woeful (IMO) and up and down for years now. I guess I'm more a fan of the 'proper story' approach than over-reliance on shock reveals, wacky twists and constant resurrection of fan-favourite enemies. In David Tennant's time it was that little bit more serious, and I seem to have preferred that.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Rostum

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 02:57:23 AM »
I am against genderswapping characters as a rule but think it should have been done years (decades) ago with Dr. Who as the premise fully supports that. FWITW the audience score on rotten tomatoes is 14% atm and I doubt that is down to Jodie Whittacker who is a competent actor or a fanbase objecting to her in the role.

Online Bender

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »
Any show which runs for so many seasons with changing characters is bound to hit a slump and DW is no exception.

As we saw in Capt. Marvel, people were complaining that the woman featured was not a of color.

I doubt there's pleasing everyone.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Rostum

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 12:32:16 AM »
From what I see 14% review is a disaster not a slump. Sacking the writers and getting a new actor would be commercial televisions response. Now I would have like an Asian Dr. Who. As thats over half the worlds population, but I guess that was too much of a stretch for the BBC.

Brie Larson has shown herself to be a horrible person and her character Captain Marvel was a minor character in the Marvelverse brought to the forefront as an unpopular Mary Sue.

Those fans wanting a person of colour to play Captain marvel are latecomers to the party and are a very vocal minority on twitter and other social media platforms. The way they operate is by determining the narrative and gatekeeping by vilifying anyone who speaks against their wishes. I would strongly suspect those shouting were in the majority white and sprinkled with psuedo journalists from Gawker Group, kotaku and Vice. All very proud of their blue check marks and ability to stifle debate.

Both DC and Marvel have been ideologicaly captured by some woke idiots who are destroying goodwill and comic sales at present. FFS they employed Zoe Quinn to write comics if you want an example of terrible judgement. Disney makes solid money from marvel films but despite chinese money coming in those margins are being reduced and costs are rising.

Online Bender

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 01:23:37 AM »
Now I would have like an Asian Dr. Who. As thats over half the worlds population, but I guess that was too much of a stretch for the BBC.

No offense, but that's nonsense. I'm Asian and I can say It'd not be popular and Asian people would hate an Asian Dr Who. Just like they'd hate an Asian Indiana Jones or an Asian James Bond. It's just retrospective gender/race swapping just to satisfy the PC crowd. Perhaps that's be true in China, but not in Asia.

I'd assume that movie industry isn't that bereft of imagination to not come up with a good movie featuring a women secret agent or a women adventurer. Lara Croft and Wonder Women come readily to mind without resorting to compulsory swapping of characters.

It's not like I'd protest swapping of gender or race for popular characters, but wouldn't be disappointed if it's not done.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 04:45:01 AM »
Now I would have like an Asian Dr. Who. As thats over half the worlds population, but I guess that was too much of a stretch for the BBC.

No offense, but that's nonsense. I'm Asian and I can say It'd not be popular and Asian people would hate an Asian Dr Who. Just like they'd hate an Asian Indiana Jones or an Asian James Bond. It's just retrospective gender/race swapping just to satisfy the PC crowd. Perhaps that's be true in China, but not in Asia.

I'd assume that movie industry isn't that bereft of imagination to not come up with a good movie featuring a women secret agent or a women adventurer. Lara Croft and Wonder Women come readily to mind without resorting to compulsory swapping of characters.

It's not like I'd protest swapping of gender or race for popular characters, but wouldn't be disappointed if it's not done.
The one that rarely gets mentioned here, and imo is perfect is Modesty Blaise. It’s unfortunate that the 3 attempts to transition her from comic strips and books to screen have been botched. I always felt Marvel missed a trick by not gender flipping Black Panther. Again only my opinion, but that to me would have improved the character.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 02:29:46 PM »
Have you seen movies in the last 20 years? The industry is completely incapable of creating any new content. It's all sequels, remakes, and adaptations.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Rostum

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 04:12:10 PM »
@Bender no offense (ever) taken. We are on a forum the exchange of ideas is paramount. Dr Who has run for 57 years and the premise of the Dr regenerating allows for a number of actors and while I can see where you are coming from I think Dr. Who makes more sense to gender/race swap than Indiana Jones and with James Bond while the name is associated with 007 is after all a position not a person. That said wouldn't it be nice if instead of hijacking existing and established series something original could be created.

Modesty Blaise is great and overdue a remake. Following the original comic could work very well for it.

There is a rumour floating round that Black Panther actor Chadwisk Boseman is pissed because he will be replaced by Lititia Wright who plays Shuri by the end of the second movie.

Another rumour is Jodie Whittacker will meet a former Dr Who we know nothing about played by Jo Martin who will be inserted into an earlier timeline.

Online Bender

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 04:57:43 PM »
Just trying to think of movie series which have gender swaps recently.

MiB International had a women lead.
Oceans Eight had a ensemble cast of women.
Ghostbusters went to a all women cast too.

Fact is despite the gender issues, none of above can be considered as well-made or even comparable to their respective originals.

Even the latest Lara Croft movie was awful.

We've had Kill Bill, Aeon Flux, Atomic Blonde which all have probability to be a successful franchise...(assuming they don't screw up the movies).

I think we've digressed from the OP quite a bit!  ;D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
Lord of the Flies was gender swapped  and died a death in 2017

Fight Club is being Gender Swapped at the moment how far from understanding the point can you get. Rule 6 might save this one though.

There have been calls for a female Gandalf because fucking up what fans love and then not going to see the result is an easy call for some of the less rational on twitter

Battlestar Galactica carries off genderswapping starbuck pretty well.

Ghostbusters in being/been remade following original canon and with original cast participating  and the usual suspects on twitter are screaming that it ignores the 2016 film, which I have not seen but am told was dire. An hour of queef jokes anyone?

HBO have just cancelled and lost $24,000,000 on a prequal to GOT directed by Jane Goldman not a gender swap as such but too woke for HBO to consider it commercial and too far from GOT lore so I would hazard a guess at plenty of stong independent women and not much game of thrones.

The Rocketeer is being gender swapped for an animated series.

Batwoman is currently tanking and blaming men for not watching. Again being woke is an alternative to a decent script good acting and sensible fight scenes ohh and a rational plot. Ruby Rose said it's not for straight white old men a great way to halve your audience.

The new James Bond may have a black female Bond. The only two diehard Bond fans I know are really unhappy about this. They are both women in their 40's, but they buy the books and films and don't sit on twitter shrieking about how unfair established series are. Of course Judi Dench was genderswapped in as M but thats more a title than a character.