August 24, 2019, 02:15:01 AM

Author Topic: RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion  (Read 79485 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications, I think I've been lost and just going with the flow, ever since Godzilla appeared... ;D

But this:
Probably the main point of this exercise is not just for the entertainment but for the exposure to new ideas and improving ourselves as writers on a whole.
No no no, at all. I'm not a writer, and I don't want to be one, and people accepted this when I asked if I could hang around.

I fully agree that I'd rather see a bunch of 4-6 lines posts than big chapters "book-like".
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »
I think there is a bit of confusion about what this is all about.  The last rpg was us just all being silly, def not a serious writing exercise!

Sorry about coming out of leftfield but I was rather bewildered. I might just sit this all out.  Far too many characters coming and going and bit put off by it being an actual writing exercise now.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2014, 09:04:03 AM »
I think there is a bit of confusion about what this is all about.  The last rpg was us just all being silly, def not a serious writing exercise!

Sorry about coming out of leftfield but I was rather bewildered. I might just sit this all out.  Far too many characters coming and going and bit put off by it being an actual writing exercise now.

Honestly, I'm not treating like an actual writing exercise, seems like an odd place to do so. 

I think my main issue is I've never read the orginal rp (mostly since I can't find it), so I had no idea about how random things were and pretty much took it upon myself to find some middle ground between the ones who want all out random chaos and the ones apparently treating this as a writing exercise.    At least after I got my bearings in the introduction thread. 

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
  • Love is a sweet poison, but it kills nevertheless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
Well, improvement is why I'm sticking around, though not the only reason.

And sorry if my posts are a bit too, short-story-length as Scarlet pointed out  :P
It's that I dont post as regular, because Im not so active. In the current thread, I've only posted thrice (One being just a comment and not an addition to the story) while others posted up to eight times (random number, didnt count). If you were to add them up and stack them against my posts, they'd be equivalent. One long post works more for me than several small ones.
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandprodigy.wordpress.com/

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »
Yeah, this definitely isn't a writing exercise. If so, I think Eclipse would've been cut out in the beginning. But I could care less about punctuation or the likes, just so long as you're having fun, you understand what's going on, and you're doing something. I agree with Bea that I'd rather see 4-6 line posts than anything. I know I have a habit of abusing the "enter" key and info-dumping to settle the plot some, so let's hope I can hold off on that.

As for Dom, don't go! Your's are my favorite posts. But yeah, I can see why too many people coming and going would put you off. Unfortunately, we got stuck at a bad time with holiday, work, and college. We have to make do with what we got. It's not the best plan, at all, but I think we're doing better than what we could've. I'm sorry if we made you think this was a writing exercise. The most exercise we're going to get out of this is piecing together a strange plot. :D

And Jon, I would have loved for y'all to be able to read the first rpg to get a good feel for it. I wanted to read it just for fun and to get some pointers. However, one of the mods I asked said they couldn't. And that's all right. Quite frankly, I don't understand why Jennie or Marc archived them when they cleaned up the forum. Don't know what they cleaned up with it, but okay. Guess we can do without.

Yuan, if you can post short asides every now and then (the opposite of this, in fact) that would be lovely. If you can only stick to your short stories, that's fine, too. :P
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Charlemagne

RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion
« Reply #290 on: August 09, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
Okay, I kinda missed the "crisis" moment here, so my thoughts may not be too helpful, but here goes:

The problem with this RPG (at least as compared to the last one) is that there is no overweening goal, no competition between the two groups. As a result, everything feels a bit haphazard and random. With a goal that both groups can aim for, the plot becomes much more streamlined, and because everybody wants to get to the final goal, all "plot twists" have a clearly defined purpose. I know Gariath suggested that we try to set up a world domination scheme, but that's a bit too complicated for me.

What we need is some kind of race. The Amulet has clearly become the focus of the story - I would propose something to do with that. Maybe there's a twin, more powerful amulet that both parties learn about from the butler, and want to reach in order to hold ultimate power? I dunno, just a suggestion.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on this. Take 'em or leave 'em, it's up to you.

And sorry for making you sit through two extra-long posts in a row! I blame C. Hill. :P
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #291 on: August 10, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
*still slightly confused*
I think I'll rejoin once the story gets back into line of amulets and searches and quests...
(I can't seem to do battles, no ideas at all)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #292 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:09 AM »
Question for Yuan: what are all the posts with just the signs?
Is it code? Anything I missed?

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
  • Love is a sweet poison, but it kills nevertheless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 11, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
Question for Yuan: what are all the posts with just the signs?
Is it code? Anything I missed?

._.   .-.

It's my, 'you have to be kidding me' face.
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandprodigy.wordpress.com/

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #294 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
*still slightly confused*
I think I'll rejoin once the story gets back into line of amulets and searches and quests...
(I can't seem to do battles, no ideas at all)

I recommend drawing flaming donkeys out of your books. Sice Cole refuses to cooperate.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #295 on: August 11, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
._.   .-.

It's my, 'you have to be kidding me' face.

I recommend drawing flaming donkeys out of your books. Sice Cole refuses to cooperate.

;D for both

Offline MTMaenpaa

« Reply #296 on: August 11, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
Cole is very cooperative.  He was willing to attempt to eat Cthulhu for the greater good.
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #297 on: August 11, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
Cole is very cooperative.  He was willing to attempt to eat Cthulhu for the greater good.

Speaking as a chef, how would one serve Cthulu?

Offline MTMaenpaa

« Reply #298 on: August 11, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
Probably start with just the tentacles, which I imagine would be a lot like calamari or octopus - I'd probably braise it like octopus tentacles, do something Asian style.  Garlic, ginger, chili flake.  Maybe tempura batter and fry some of them, serve with a ginger-wasabi aioli.
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #299 on: August 11, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
Sorry guys!
Sorry for 'reality altering' stuff, but I was getting annoyed with the fanfic that showed up out of nowhere :-\ so I sort of brought the story back to where it was a half dozen posts earlier, or something.
Please don't be mad, and let's all go back to the beach and off the island - or further into the island. Wherever. Just not in the castle.
That's what we'd agreed here earlier too.

(but ok. feel free to say that Scarlet was the one breathing the nasty fumes and get back to where it was, if you want...)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:03:52 PM by ScarletBea »