February 28, 2020, 03:30:57 PM

Author Topic: RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion  (Read 91974 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
Lost was awesome. Never saw the first season, though, primarily on account of being so darn young. Yeah, I think the only person I'm older than is Yuan and Charlie. Another reason why you shouldn't put me in charge.

In other news, WHY AM I THE ONLY PIRATE? (Took them long enough, made and joined another writing group after that anyway, which died too.) And why isn't it singular? That's driving me insane.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Charlemagne

RPG: Rules, Questions, & Discussion
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2014, 12:12:54 AM »

Lost was awesome. Never saw the first season, though, primarily on account of being so darn young. Yeah, I think the only person I'm older than is Yuan and Charlie. Another reason why you shouldn't put me in charge.

In other news, WHY AM I THE ONLY PIRATE? (Took them long enough, made and joined another writing group after that anyway, which died too.) And why isn't it singular? That's driving me insane.

I love how it's two of the youngest people here who are running this thing. And yeah, the last time I was really active I was the second youngest forum member - and Jian only has a couple days on me.

Aren't I a pirate too...? It makes me so sad that the writing group died. :( Some really good stuff in there.

As for an earth-domination plot, I don't really have time for more than one or two posts a day, and definitely not enough to run a full campaign like that. If you guys want baddies to fight, you'll probably have to set them up yourself.
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2014, 01:30:11 AM »

I love how it's two of the youngest people here who are running this thing. And yeah, the last time I was really active I was the second youngest forum member - and Jian only has a couple days on me.

Whatever happened to Jian? I haven't seen him around much here.   

Also I honestly thought Charlemagne was like 29 or something.   I would've not pegged you for somebody who's 15 (16? Somewhere around there, right?)

As for an earth-domination plot, I don't really have time for more than one or two posts a day, and definitely not enough to run a full campaign like that. If you guys want baddies to fight, you'll probably have to set them up yourself.

Well, as long as Scarlet doesn't erase them from existence again.   (No offense meant, Scarlet.)     

Though now apparently we're in a castle haunted by the ghosts of former dark lords.....and we're naked.   

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
  • Love is a sweet poison, but it kills nevertheless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2014, 02:01:33 AM »
I thought the major game changes were supposed to be posted here first...

I want to still think that we have a plot going on...
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandprodigy.wordpress.com/

Offline MTMaenpaa

« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2014, 03:06:03 AM »
I thought the major game changes were supposed to be posted here first...

I want to still think that we have a plot going on...

We do have a plot, or at least we should try for one.  Seems like Brynn has a better clue than the rest at the moment and Charlie Mane can't be the big bad for the first season.  Can we veto the random castle teleportation and just be stuck on a mysterious island with a mysterious amulet?
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2014, 03:08:44 AM »
Can we veto the random castle teleportation and just be stuck on a mysterious island with a mysterious amulet?

Which is what I'm thinking.

(No offense Gariath)
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2014, 03:34:43 AM »
The plot would be helped if all our people didn't have a general viewpoint of "Oh, well I guess that happened now".   I mean, nobody has really cared that one of Charlie's group is now hanging around Doc's group, or Scarlet's reality-warping book, or where Elfy went, or pretty much any of the random stuff that has gone on since this started.    I mean Doc's group FOUGHT GODZILLA and nobody seems to care.   Except for my guy, but then again I'm the only one who seems to be trying to actively keep track of everything.

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2014, 03:44:27 AM »
The plot would be helped if all our people didn't have a general viewpoint of "Oh, well I guess that happened now".   I mean, nobody has really cared that one of Charlie's group is now hanging around Doc's group, or Scarlet's reality-warping book, or where Elfy went, or pretty much any of the random stuff that has gone on since this started.    I mean Doc's group FOUGHT GODZILLA and nobody seems to care.   Except for my guy, but then again I'm the only one who seems to be trying to actively keep track of everything.

I think we knew it would be chaotic in the first place. Let's just try to keep the fun.
Probably the main point of this exercise is not just for the entertainment but for the exposure to new ideas and improving ourselves as writers on a whole.

The main problem is that we're a little bit uncoordinated. We take things out of context too often, which isn't so much a problem since it brings a bit of humor. All we need to do is to always keep in mind the intentions and goals of each group and work towards it. And we need to recognize certain limitations to plot-changing. Once there is a problem or conflict, we have to work towards solving it, not magically poofing it out of existence. no character should be that powerful 3:

Also, try to know each character so that if you're using them, they wont seem to behave...out of character?

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2014, 04:04:29 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying we shouldn't keep the fun.  It's just there's a fine line between fun and chaotic and confusing and not fun at all.   You have to have a base of normal in order to decide what is chaotic

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2014, 04:08:05 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying we shouldn't keep the fun.  It's just there's a fine line between fun and chaotic and confusing and not fun at all.   You have to have a base of normal in order to decide what is chaotic

Then we should impose some new rules.
And making a thread similar to 'Who is who' would be nice, where everyone could state the type of person his/her character is. What they would or would not do?
A bit of familiarization would do some justice, eh?

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »

Then we should impose some new rules.
And making a thread similar to 'Who is who' would be nice, where everyone could state the type of person his/her character is. What they would or would not do?
A bit of familiarization would do some justice, eh?

Well, maybe just a more detailed Who is who,  I mean, yes according to the main rules...

3) If you want to make a big change to the story, drop out, join late, or anything that would seriously impact the game, post it here first. We won't stop you - we can just plan around you. And find humorous reasons for why you've done it.

It's the parts in bold that seemed to be missing.  For instance Gariath's major castle change wasn't posted here and there seems to no planning around it.  It's either "just accept it" or "it never happened".   Half the fun of this should be our characters reacting to the crazy stuff.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2014, 04:27:19 AM »
Gahh. You're making me have to think up rules. Um... Um... Have fun? No? Too confusing? Well, um...

Okay. Some things: Plot: About to clarify. In my next post. Okay? What? Rule #3, you say? I'll explain later. Basically, don't throw curveballs as big as Gariath's last one. I can work around it, just try and refrain from doing any of that in the future. And as much as I hate to say it, don't post it here. That detracts from the fun. Truly, it does. I'd rather you PM people than blurt out the randomness because then it loses its charm.

The one thing we need to start focusing on now is not cutting scenes. That's our biggest problem. We create rabid lemurs, and they're shot down in two posts. I admit this was my fault, but I'm fixing this before it becomes too much. Scarlet, tone down on your "reality-bending books." This overpowered switching of the plot applies to everyone. Make it in character. If all the lemurs die, make it because we set traps up beforehand. If you can't solve it, pass it to the next guy. My recommendation would be keep the post small, but post. Even if you just check in, post a line or two. A single quip is fine. We could've stretched Mathias's storytelling some more and done some really good laughs.

What I'm getting at is stretch everything as far as you can. We tried that with Godzilla's fight. Plus, a lot of people were on at the time. That helped immensely. Did everyone enjoy the way that was done? That's when I felt that we were closest to the kind of sheer insanity I felt in the last RPG. And that's what I'm trying to emulate here. Fun is the biggest thing, and I don't want y'all to be confused. That detracts from the fun, and creates stuff like Jon's recaps. (Though they are fun in their own right.)

Okay. Breathe.

If you have any more problems you don't want to express on here, PM me or Charlie. We'll try and fix everything. Hopefully.

Now off to fix this plot. ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:29:05 AM by C.Hill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2014, 04:35:12 AM »

Need help?

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2014, 04:41:57 AM »

Need help?

You work your sub-plot and set up a way to get us off the island. Go see if I missed anything, too.

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2014, 04:47:18 AM »

Need help?

You work your sub-plot and set up a way to get us off the island. Go see if I missed anything, too.

Mkay. About to get some sleep soon though.