December 10, 2019, 02:16:16 AM

Poll

If we were to do another RPG, what would "generally" be the best time for you to participate?

Spring (March, April, or May)
1 (7.1%)
Summer (June, July, or August)
2 (14.3%)
Fall/Autumn (September, October, or November)
0 (0%)
Winter (December, January, or February)
11 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: RPG: Nonsense Survey  (Read 23841 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: RPG: Nonsense Survey
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »
I thought the point was to simply torture Jmack.

The second one flopped badly because there was a couple of posters who thought it was a serious writing exercise.   

Maybe someone could draw a map next time and actually create a vague outline of the world - what races, rulers, magic exists. Or is this too ambitious?

Give me a month and I could write up some stuff from the past two RPGs. Maybe make some sense for a few races and instances. Drawing a map would be interesting, though. I can't do anything fancy, aside from a hand-drawn one and a scan. Maybe I could do a rough sketch and somebody more talented whip up something even better.

But I agree on the second point: Some thought this was a writing exercise when the few veterans thought differently. I think know we now it's pointless fun, though. Might want to make that known to any new people that want to show up.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
I thought the point was to simply torture Jmack.

The second one flopped badly because there was a couple of posters who thought it was a serious writing exercise.   

Maybe someone could draw a map next time and actually create a vague outline of the world - what races, rulers, magic exists. Or is this too ambitious?
I'd be happy to help with that kind of thing. The question is how all that would work though, especially if you got to the point of creating sex dungeon maps...

Keep your sex dungeons out of it thank you!
What!  :o Never mind...

Some structure is ok, but I'm not sure we should get too much into map making (or planning in general). I mean, for example, if we were to draw a map of a dungeon, that would probably mean that we would plan what is going to be in different parts of that dungeon (because there's little point in having a map of a dungeon if it doesn't tell what's inside it  ??? ). That would mean we would need to plan what is supposed to happen in said dungeon. And that would mean that someone would need to know the "plot" of the RPG. All that is fine if someone really wants to be a dungeon/game master and do the planning. That could mean a LOT of work for that poor (lucky?) individual. Of course, there are different levels of planning, and there is always the possibility to "wing it" even with a plan.

I'm not making sense anymore, but I guess what I'm trying to say/ask is: Do we want this to be a more traditional and "restricted" RPG or this wacky free-form adventure? Or something in between, perhaps?

I stopped posting in the RPG because I felt my post's were not as good as everyone else's.
Well, I probably can't change how you feel, but I didn't think your post were worse than everyone else's. They were shorter, yes, but that doesn't mean they weren't as good (in fact, I feel that many times shorter is better). There were good post and not so good ones made by everybody. And the quality (good or bad) of individual posts doesn't even matter as long as people are enjoying the RPG as a whole. It's a game and there might be different kinds of players, but that shouldn't mean they can't still play together and have fun, should it?

So I think you should take part in the next RPG and not stress over whether your posts are good or not. If you post something funny or something that advances the "plot", that's good. If you post something that's not funny and not advancing the plot... You know what? That's all right. (And, of course, if you don't feel like playing and choose to just read (or not) all of it instead, that's perfectly all right too.)  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »
@ArcaneArtsVelho: That bit about traditional v. free-form is a good question. When I thought of a map, I thought they wanted a world map, which can have many things tacked on there for fun and also leave room for impromptu discussions. For instance, we can't put the Chupacubran Order on there for Waka, and I doubt Texas should be set on the map for Doc, but the likes of Fantasia, Redrum, and the Islands of the Pirates (they need a name) can be expanded upon.

I guess I'll do the map; rough draft at least. Anything else people want on there that wouldn't be in any of the past two RPGs? I'm also considering throwing little bits from another RPG I ran last year, but that's more as a world-building tool than anything, really. We don't need it, but it adds "mystery" to the land.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
@ArcaneArtsVelho: That bit about traditional v. free-form is a good question. When I thought of a map, I thought they wanted a world map, which can have many things tacked on there for fun and also leave room for impromptu discussions. For instance, we can't put the Chupacubran Order on there for Waka, and I doubt Texas should be set on the map for Doc, but the likes of Fantasia, Redrum, and the Islands of the Pirates (they need a name) can be expanded upon.

I guess I'll do the map; rough draft at least. Anything else people want on there that wouldn't be in any of the past two RPGs? I'm also considering throwing little bits from another RPG I ran last year, but that's more as a world-building tool than anything, really. We don't need it, but it adds "mystery" to the land.

I don't see why we couldn't place Texas on the Fantasia map. Obviously it's not a real place.  ::)

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »
Ever consider an underwater city needing to be saved from the notorious monster of Abnok? (Just made that up). Have you done underwater levels in past RPGs? Because honestly, I think it would be cool. Let's search for Atlantis!
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »
I stopped posting in the RPG because I felt my post's were not as good as everyone else's.
Nah, that's just silly!
Every can contribute, even non writers (look at me!) and we really enjoyed your posts :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Ever consider an underwater city needing to be saved from the notorious monster of Abnok? (Just made that up). Have you done underwater levels in past RPGs? Because honestly, I think it would be cool. Let's search for Atlantis!

Ooh, I love this idea.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »
...When I thought of a map, I thought they wanted a world map, which can have many things tacked on there for fun and also leave room for impromptu discussions. For instance, we can't put the Chupacubran Order on there for Waka, and I doubt Texas should be set on the map for Doc, but the likes of Fantasia, Redrum, and the Islands of the Pirates (they need a name) can be expanded upon.
Well there was talk about sex dungeons, so I thought I'd voice my thoughts on sharing too much planning too much.  ;)

But yes, a world map would be nice. And of course, if you have the time to gather the lore from the past two RPGs, that would be great too.

If you want to bounce off ideas or need any assistance with the map or anything, I'm more than willing to help.
I have some experience with map making, seeing as I have been re-doing one for my WIP for about three years now.  ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 09:50:06 PM »
So I whipped up a rough draft of a map yesterday. Gonna work on a better copy today and tomorrow. Also going to try and wrangle all the lore together (or at least most of it) this week and next. Yes, there will be pictures to go along with nonsense world-building.

If anybody wants to add stuff to the lore, you're more than welcome to PM me or post it here. Of course, I'm sure the lore will be open to interpretation, even after I post it, but the more the merrier, I always say.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2015, 02:06:21 AM »
Double post yay.

Okay, I'll be putting up the two maps sometime tonight when I find the time. Also chunk in the plot summaries of the past RPGs with it.

But this update is not to announce that. After this, I'll be doing 1. Important Places in the Realm and 2. Gods and Races. If you have any suggestions when you see the map, feel free to add them. Places like Mendip Hills (@Lady_Ty), Lactosian Hills (@wakarimasen), and the Velma Shrine (@ArcaneArtsVelho) were specific to certain characters, so I feel their input would mean a lot on short biographies of the place.

Also, I would like to do a list of 3. All the Major Characters during the past RPGs. I know some members aren't here to help with their characters, to which I'll be taking over artistic liberties unless they show up, but if you have a picture of your character or any biographical or background information you want in the list, please tell me. If you don't sometime in the next couple of weeks, I'll be taking artistic liberties with them when I post it. Of course, you can still say "Hey, that's not right" afterward, but I'd prefer you do it now. Same goes for anybody who wants to jump in (@m3mnoch), or jump in with new characters for the next RPG.

Actually been enjoying this project, so big thanks to everybody who wanted the lore thrown together. There's obviously going to be a bit I have to keep out for sanity's sake, or stuff that I just can't find like with the Pirates, but I hope there'll be enough references that it'll be nice to look back at.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2015, 02:54:40 AM »
You go, Chill. You got this.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »
Chill, so can't wait to see those maps. I love maps!
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline MTMaenpaa

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2015, 06:33:19 AM »
Summoned and I arrive.  Late and distracted as usual.  Was someone hungry?
Foodie, Chef, Writer, Reader, Father, Geek

http://laughingcook.wordpress.com/

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2015, 01:24:42 PM »
Thanks, Chill, the Lore thread w maps is great and I'll have a good look through slowly. So happy you included the Mendip Hills and will do short bio of Oggy and her background. Would probably like to keep her character in future tho' she can be exhaustingly annoying to have around so may reconsider.

Please can we mark where King Jaymack's castle is - or did we demolish it completely?  Maybe. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »
I'll stick with Henry the Jack for future rp. He's rich atm, but sure enough he will lose all his spoils within the first posts of the adventure  ;) Conan might return too for more misadventure.  :D