December 10, 2019, 02:28:35 AM

Author Topic: RPG 2016: Chill's Recruiting Thread  (Read 14419 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: RPG 2016: Chill's Recruiting Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »
"The Captain. Hmmm. Me and me Calamari crew took the body. He wanted it in a tomb, buried with his treasure. The tomb is riddled with ... I can't think of the word. Thing that is designed to entice you in, then BANG! Oh what's the word. It's on the tip of my tongue ..."
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 06:04:20 PM »
"Is it a--" Arthur offered, but Doc cut him off with an arm over the priest's chest.

"No, it's a trap!" the Admiral explosively bellowed. "We buried that tomb full of traps and goodies galore!"

"Of course you did," Doc muttered under his breath. Meanwhile, Scarlet was still fighting with watercolors over which one of the women would get to decipher the tome. So far, Lexi was winning, but none of the men noted that observation.

"Got a nice looking Rembrandt," Arther tried halfway into their competition, some haphazard swirl on Red's canvas. Doc shook his head.

"Forget it. I'm gonna take point and make sure there's nothing fishy left in these waters."
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 06:32:28 PM »
Right, before we all go on this quest, I wish to give you all crabs," announced Ackbar.
"You what?!" spluttered Scarlet.
"Yes. Admiral Ackbar's patented crab sticks. Your taste buds can't repel tastes of this magnitude!" grinned Ackbar.
"Ummm. That is very kind," replied Doc. "But we will be just be needing the location of that tomb."
"Ha! Don't be so snappy. No one gets star map to tomb before you eat my crab sticks!"
The group all took a deep breath.
"Now with extra brine!"
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »
Pressing the nose tightly shut didn't help - those crabs were just disgusting.
Except...
Mr. Jiggles looked like he hadn't eaten in months, the speed he was devouring the crab sticks.

The Admiral stood with his mouth open.
'My crab sticks... they were supposed to be bad for everyone!!!"
He almost fell when a shadow enveloped him in a big hug.
"Oh Ackbar, how did you know? This is just Mr. Jiggles absolutely totally favourite food!!!"

Her smile was blinding and Ackbar found himself blushing.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »
"I hate to interrupt," Doc said to the hugging duo, "but where's the tomb, Ackbar?"

"Er. There's no rush. Er. Look, look what I can do," the admiral said and started juggling some books. He stopped straight away when he spotted Scarlet's murderous stare.

"Why are you dallying, Ackbar?" Arthur inquired, amazed that the only word that had come to his mind was 'dally'. "It is almost as if you don't want us to resurrect Cap at all."

Doc and Scarlet gasped.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:01:01 PM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 10:12:05 PM »
"Or maybe Ackbar was enticed in by beautiful maidmers into a situation where BANG! He was caught by forces he simply couldn't repel! What that's called again?"
"Don't encourage him!" groaned the Doc.
"IT WAS A TRAP! That's funny I forgot that. It's my catchphrase you know. Anyway, I had my memory wiped. Can't remember a darn thing. Just left with a portion of this star map showing the cap's location. Thing is it is useless without the rest of the map. If we head off without the rest we would most probably be walking into ... darn it, forgot the word again."
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 02:13:23 AM »
"A snare," Doc finished for the calamari-man. "Geez, I think we're going to have to make a stop at Elfy's thesaurus for this guy." He rubbed his revolver and waited for Scarlet and Lexi to finish up their paintings (they had switched brushes with crabsticks, just an FYI).

"Aha!" Ackbar whizzed only a few seconds later.

The group turned to him in tandem. "Yes?" Arthur ventured when the Admiral wouldn't finish. But Ackbar decided to run off into the shelves in search of something.

"Let him be," Doc called from the front of one bookcase row. Murdock bounded after the Admiral while the rest admired the finished canvases. Both of the women took a step back to marvel at their handy work. "So who won?"

They both rubbed their chins and wouldn't give an answer.

"Bah, it's as if you've all turned into that ghost! Won't say a damn thing!"

Mr. Jiggles started singing again, which is exactly the kind of noise none of them wanted.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 04:15:10 AM »
Lexi switched off her hearing aids just in the knick of time.  Everyone else wasn't so fortunate, except for the ghost because he liked sleeping so much.  When Mr. Jiggles was finished, Lexi applauded.

"That was such a beautiful song, Mr. Jiggles.  You really know how to serenade people."

"Jiggly-jigglypuff!"  Mr. Jiggles beamed with pride.

Lexi looked around at the others, her gaze stopping at the paintings.  "Mine's better."  She looked at Scarlet.

"Jigglypuff."

"They're all cute when they sleep, Mr. Jiggles."

She trotted over to Ackbar.  "So this here's a star map, huh?" she said, prying the slab of stone from Ackbar.  "If we can't get into that tomb place or whatever it is, what are we going to do?"  Just then, an idea struck her.  "Aha!  I could try drawing the other part!"

"Jiggly Jiggly Jigglypuff."

"No, you're right," she said, hanging her head in defeat.  "I'd probably end up drawing a pizza or something."  She sat down crosslegged, thinking hard.

"Jiggly-jigglypuff!"

"Keep it down Mr. Jiggles.  I'm trying to think."

"Jiggly-jigglypuff!"  Mr. Jiggles persisted, jumping up and down.

"What do you mean it's--"

She looked up.  High above on the far wall hung a mosaic, barely visible in the light of the torches that lit the library.  It appeared to be some kind of map and in the centre, a piece had been cut away.  Awe-struck, Lexi stood, lifting the slab of rock up so that it fit perfectly in the centre.

The others began to stir.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »
“I like rest as much as the next hero, but this is getting tiring... figuratively,” Doc said as he woke up. “Here, everyone.”

The gunslinger handed out earplugs he had ‘procured’ from a shooting range. He was sure they had been free to take, even by the dozens. Then he himself, Scarlet, Arthur, Ackbar, and Murdock swiftly put them to use. Doc did offer a pair to the ghost as well (with a quite substantial grin on his face), but the spirit, annoyed at waking up from the sweet but short slumber, raised a digit to the man. It wasn’t a thumb.

This is when Lexi started talking enthusiastically. Or at least her smiling mouth was moving and her eyes were wide. Strangely enough, the others couldn’t hear what she was on about.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
Admiral Ackbar had no idea what was going on, so he did what he always did in this type of situation; looked concerned and occasionally exclaimed some kind of intelligent phrase such as, "We can't repel forces of these magnitude," or "It's a trap!"  For the most part, the rest of the gang looked very impressed, although the Doc was glowering at him. Must be annoyed with one of the humanoids, Ackbar thought.  He decided to peruse the shelves, but every book seemed to either have a hunky stud on with half the buttons of his shirt undone, or a sexy young temptress in black leather trousers.  He wouldn't have minded, but there was no covers with a Calamari lady on showing off her pinchers.

The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »
Yes, the star map from above came down in a holographic projection, illuminating the deaf group on what Lexi was going on about. They took the ear plugs out for a second. "Look guys! It's a map to the tomb!" It didn't look like much, granted; nothing more than a trail across the Realm. "See, Fantasia's here and the Gnome Republic over there." It led across the world like a drunken snake drinking Ackbar's cereal, but it found its way somehow.

Arthur stepped over to the finish line. "What this?" he pointed at the final dot. "Where is this?" He was, if anything, directionally challenged, but do not be surprised, because nobody there knew what the place was. They didn't even have the Admiral to brighten up the mood for some brief second, what with his regular comment probably being apt right now.

But the ghost caught something. Or at least, they all hoped he found something, what with the wailing arms floundering out above his head as he floated from end to end.

"What is it, boy?" Doc half-teased. "Timmy stuck in a well?"

But no, Scarlet had caught the gunslinger by the shoulder and pulled him back. The ghost was pointing at the map from a distance, and yes, if you looked hard enough from the edge you could see something.

You could see a name written out:

WINDBREAKER.

"Guess it's an important thing to him," Red noted. "Wonder who it could be...?"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:28:37 PM by Doctor_Chill »

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2016, 12:27:19 AM »
Lexi was impressed. The writing referred to a rock formation which clearly protected the island from the dangerous winds which blew up from the sea.  It looked like there was an ancient temple on the island. Was this the Lost Temple of Cthulu? It would be a perfect place to bury a sea captain. Shame the Admiral had seemed to have had his memory wiped.  Maybe the crew should visit this brothel of Maidmers and learn what had happened to Ackbar.
 Meanwhile the Admiral had put his pincher around Doc's shoulder and was asking him what Star Wars characters had been on posters in his bedroom as a young boy.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 01:11:58 AM »
The ghost, satisfied he had been noticed, occupied himself by walking into and then out of bookcases. He seemed entirely unconcerned with anyone save for Mr. Jiggles, who he continued to eye hopefully. As the party debated how best to approach WINDBREAKER, a low growl filled the library from somewhere beyond a tall stretch of shelves.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:56 AM »
"Boba Fett. He was my hero, y'know. That Sarlacc scene was a classic."

Ackbar nodded in turn. "More of a Leia guy myself, but I see where you're coming from."

Arthur shook his head and brought them back to reality. "Yeah, Star Wars is nice and all, but what about this place? This Island of the Windbreaker, eh?" (The ghost was dancing a terror jig in the background and it was made worse at the mention of the island's name.) "Is this where the Cap was buried?"

"I guess," was all Ackbar had to lend.

"Well then, we should take stock of the situation," Scarlet interceded, seeing the frustration grow on Arthur's painted face. "We've got a tome on necromancy, hopefully."

"Mr. Jiggles has a photographic memory and can remember the star map if need be," Lexi offered.

"And I've got 300 barrels of tartar sauce back at the ship!" Ackbar proclaimed. He danced with the ghost at his remembrance, but couldn't make it through the bookshelves, however hard he tried.

"So you've got the Schmoking Cultist with you, hmm? I wondered where that had flown off to."

The Admiral stopped his chicken dance, scratched behind his ear with one pinscir, and looked crestfallen. "Um, yeah, about that..."

The growl interrupted him, and like a setting sun's shadow, it grew behind the calamari man.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 01:40:09 AM »
"Well remember that time those Maidmer wenches lured me into a scenario I was unable to escape from, using feminine wiles of such magnitude I could not repel them?"
"Yes?" asked the Doc impatiently.
"IT WAS A TRAP!" blubbered Ackbar.
"Oh god damn it!" swore the Doc.
"They stole the boat and my precious memories!"
Just then two tentacles shot out through the book shelves and dragged Ackbar off into the fanfiction section of Elfy's library.
The Real Powers That Be