December 06, 2019, 12:59:07 PM

Author Topic: RPG 2015: Jmack's Recruiting Thread  (Read 17805 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: RPG 2015: Jmack's Recruiting Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
"Okay," Justin Said calmly. "I have no clue what to do. The entrance has to be in this room somewhere... Maybe at the bottom of the lake? Or is that obvious? Yeah, that's obvious. So maybe..."
"Will you stop talking to yourself?" Kassin glared at him.
"I'm sorry. Just following Alter's lead. He's over there doing the same thing from the looks of it."
"Strange humans." Justin shook his head and let it go. Humans? Strange? What did he call himself when he looked in the mirror and realized his body couldn't decide what kind of animal it wanted to be? Justin shrugged. Anyway, back to thinking.
"I got it!" Justin beckoned Arcane over. "Let's go to the center of the lake and jump in the water that went into the hole."
"The treasure won't be down there," Arcane said with a bit of annoyance in his voice. "First of all, why would you put a valuable treasure in a room where water could sweep it away? Second, the water's going to drain out of that room and come crashing back down into the hole again. it's on a cycle." "
"That's the thing though. It's not in there. The entrance to the treasure room is."
"But wouldn't the water flood that as well?"
"Not if the entrance is cealed. Here's the trick." Justin began whispering, making sure the other group couldn't hear across the echoing cavern. "Go to the center of the lake and stand by the hole. Then when you see all the water drain out of it, we all jump in. It's going to hurt but... Anyway, we'll have a limited amount of time before the water comes crashing back down, so we'll have to open the entrance and close it quickly. Not just the treasure room entrance, but the lake hole drain thing as well. We wouldn't want to make it easy for the other side. I'm not sure how to do it, but we can figure it out. Hell, maybe that cat has figured out something while he's down there. Of course, he could just get washed away again with the current. Either way, with all of us, we can do it."
Kassin glanced at Justin with a bit more respect. "That could work," the dragon tiger thing said. "It's worth a try at least." Arcane nodded, and they headed toward the drain.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2015, 06:13:17 PM »
(Ultament, no offense, but can you not automatically assume the rest of the group is willing to go along with your plan? Because it makes it slightly awkward to justify when I really don't agree.)

"I'd just like to provide my professional opinion that this is a terrible idea." Alter said bluntly. "You have no idea what's down that plughole and, quite frankly, the only place worth being when this lake starts to fill up is anywhere except there.

"I know." Arcane whispered out of earshot. "That's why, while I'm pretending to wait by the drain, you're going to scout the lake bottom and see if you can find another entrance to the treasure room like my original theory. If you find it, I'll sneak off and we can get to it before anyone else and see if there's anything of use. If not and the lake starts filling up, you can carry me to safety before things get bad."

"What if he's right and the entrance really is down the plughole?" Alter asked.

"I'd be surprised if it was." Arcane said. "The point of the treasure room is that it's supposed to be accessible, albeit difficult to find. I can see from here that there's one hell of a drop down that plughole. Unless the Jaymack family is known for their ability to survive long falls... although I suppose if they brought some climbing gear..." He shook the thought out of his mind. "Well, if it's down there, we'll find it either way. Remember to stay in contact range."

"Got it."

The unseen Alter took off as Arcane jogged over to keep up with his group.

"What were you muttering to yourself over there?" Justin asked.

"Just going over song lyrics." Arcane lied. "If you want, I can give you a demons-"

"Do it and I rip your tongue out." Kassin said.

"...I'll take that as a no."

The group finally made it to where the plughole rested. Arcane peered over it. It was indeed very dark and deep. He couldn't see much in the way of doors or anything else. Still, it was worth checking and there was a good way to do so.

"As much as I adore our current plan of 'jump in and hope for the best', might I suggest something a bit different?" He said. "For example, sending a scout to check it out before the rest of us go?" He glanced at Kassin. "And considering Whiskers the Wondercat over there can apparently fly...."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:15:01 PM by Rukaio Alter »
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 12:24:59 AM »
A thrumming buzz sounded across the empty basin of the lake, echoing and bouncing around in the newly weird acoustics. Arcane, Justin and Kassin looked up to see a tiny dragon, about the size of a small Wolfhound, flying towards them.

Smug was enjoying himself. He was full of goodies, so happy his new friend Oggy had arrived and generally enjoying having something more to do than sleep all day and light everyone's candles and ovens. He was so happy, he'd even decided to cooperate with JayMack when the little king asked him to check out the lake drain. He rose up above it, then turned his nose and plummeted down. He hit the drain hole and disappeared.

It turned out there was an interesting maze of pipes below the lake. Since Smug could see in the dark and turn on a dime, the whole thing just added to his fun. Soon he found a new pipe that rose back up toward the surface. It ended at a funny manhole with a latch that just fit Smug's wide dragon nose. He hit the latch at full speed, and the manhole cover popped up like a flipped coin. A golden glow seemed to emanate from the new opening in the lake bottom as the little dragon flew back to his friends.

"Good dragon!" called JayMack.

"Good cake!" called Henry the Jack, who had made elevenses last until twelvses.

"Good grief," muttered Arcane.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:29:01 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 04:18:23 AM »
Smug was feeling happy and excited. He had been bored with the diet of charred or raw human and the odd dog. It was much more exciting to have those amazing stews and curries Oggy was making these days. The curries certainly helped stoke his firepower and seemed to have resulted in many strange new smells in the air around the humans and funny grumpy noises as well.

Oggy had just laughed and said, "Don't you worry about that ,littl' ún, wait until I stew up Live Mexican Jumping Snake Chilli, you'll be runnin' for the hills when they let off after that."

Smug had noticed that he was growing stronger now and was pleased there were more beings around who spoke Dragontongue, he was even getting better at speaking and understanding Humantongue. Then King Jaymack had asked him to  fly again. He nearly burst with joy and shot off looping loops and dive bombing, great feeling to stretch and flap those long shining gold wings again.

When he came back he hurried over to whisper to Oggy

"Kassin down below, he kinda wyrmymake too, can speak Dragontongue, says he can get people allgogether down by hole in lake is OK?"

"Perfect, we will  keep our eyes on everyone better that way. You go tell Jaymack and then tell Kassin go ahead. I'll meet you down there with some hampers. Can't transport all those people, but can always get food where needed. We need strength to find treasure. I can smell hoards nearby, little fella. Could be happy huntin'."

Smug lolloped off and Oggy quietly transported back to her kitchen. While she packed the hampers, with their odd old labels reading Fortyum and Munchin, she had time to get her thoughts together. The little fella was coming along fine. Much brighter and stronger than she had expected. She had always kept an eye on him , and had made sure he came to no harm but, bless his little golden heart, he'd learned to look after himself well. 

She took a sparkly blue lump out of her pocket and dropped it carefully into his favourite Turtleshell Cupcake. That would protect him well and should stay in his third tummy for ages until he needed to call it out again.  Cows and camels had extra spare stores, but  dragons had at least ten. Bit like tummy pockets, so useful.  That done she got on with packing the hampers and wondered what that totally bonkers crew were up to now.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 07:32:30 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Meanwhile in the dirt of the drained lake, Jaymack's zombie father waddled free from the layers of mud that had trapped him so long. He would get revenge on that little twerp!
Well, his revenge would be sweet. Then he was torched by a playful dragon that had too much curry.
The small zombified lump waddled aimlessly towards a group standing near a manhole.

Oggy turned and came face to face with the mud monster. "Oh dear"
Henry prepared some flashbangs while Jaymack backed off. "Ehm. Hi dad."
The garbled mess raised what was probably an arm at the party.
"I have returned for vengeance, Jaymack. Did you really believe you could push me down that pit like that and claim the kingdom? Now we will share this watery grave!"

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
-------------------------
I am so glad I have an office, since that last post would have brought stares from co-workers had I been out in the open.  ;D
-------------------------

While JayMack was distracted, Team Omega broke for the golden manhole. Peeking over the lip of the pulsating orifice, Jason called back to the others: "I'm not really sure that yellow color is, um, gold." He cocked his head and could swear he heard a flushing sound coming from below. "Did someone say they figured the water would be coming back soon?"

Back on shore, Jaymack quickly hid behind Oggy's skirts. "Oh my poor dear man," said Oggy to the shriveled, smoking pile of curry-smelling goo that had once been the King of the North, "you need to be fattened up. I think I have a medicinal porridge that can do just the trick." She pulled an enormous pastry tube from her back of tricks, filled it with an equally foul-smelling goo and proceeded to force feed it to the smoking ruin.

Over at the original drainage hole, some yards away from the glowing return pipe, a slinking cat emerged, pulling a heavy canvas bag with its teeth. It could have handled the treasure a little better had it been back in Raptor form, but the scrubbing bubbles deep in the innards of the spaceship that was the mountain were strangely attracted to reptiles.

"No!" screamed JayMack in the distance. "No! For the love of the gods, don't feed him!!!!"

------------------
So there! Enough threads in this for you all?!  ;)
------------------

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:23:37 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2015, 05:29:31 PM »
Justin's eyes wandered. First to the cat with the bag full of what was presumably treasure, then back to the drain, and over to the cat again. Screaming from Jaymac drew his attention next. What is this now, he thought staring in wonder. A zombie? What the hell is the cook doing? No matter. First the treasure. "Kassin, stop the cat! I'll use my shadow tech and circle around just in case something happens to you. Arcane, plug the drain. The water's coming back soon." A dull roar could be heard from overhead. Without looking back to the others to see if they had any objections, Justin cloaked himself in shadows and disappeared.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
Stop a cat? Not likely. But stop a cat that's trying to haul a heavy bag? That's in the realm of possibilities.

Kassin pounced on the cat, which escaped his paws easily - but the bag was left behind. Kassin grabbed it and was just tossing it into a skin-pouch when Arcane nimbly plucked it out of the air. He was running up the side of the basin, when shadows surrounded him. When they departed, he found himself holding nothing. Justin hid in the shadows, snickering, when Kassin loomed up beside him and exploded a crystal under his nose. The bag flew up into air again, and Kassin tracked its path easily. He was just about to grab it again, when a roaring, shuddering blast of yellow liquid came pouring from a hole in the roof of the cavern.

Justin yelled, "Come on, act like a team!"

Just slightly, maybe a wee bit, maybe a tinge chagrined, Arcane plugged the drain. Juston plugged the return hole. Kassin spread his wings and dove to pluck the two adventurers from the path of the flood.

Meanwhile, the curry-goo zombie was absorbing the medicinal porridge - like a cat sucking a dish of cream on a hot day (well, no, not like that) - like a desert wandered reaching an oasis at last (a little better) - like -

"Stop writing, and help us!" cried JayMack, as his father began to expand and grow, taller, wider, meaner.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 12:06:21 AM »
Arcane hung limply in Kassin's grasp. "So... anybody got any ideas?"

"About what? The treasure, the zombie or the lake of piss?" Justin asked.

"Any really." Arcane sighed. "But I suppose the zombie should come first."

"I do have a thought." Kassin said lazily. "If the cook's porridge is empowering the ghoul, perhaps we should stop feeding it?"

"As a cook, it's my job to make sure everyone is well-fed!" Oggy said loudly. "Be they friend, foe or vengeance driven ghoul of a betrayed relative!"

"It is too late anyway!" Jaymack's father swallowed down the last of the porridge. Slowly, his body began to expand, soaking up the lakewater like a sponge, until he towered over the party. "Your accursed slop has allowed me to regain enough of my power so that I can destroy you all!"

"Accursed slop?" Oggy frowned. "That was top quality medicinal porridge!"

"Um... question!" Arcane raised his hand. "You're wanting vengeance on Jaymack, right? If we fed him to you, would the rest of us be free to go?"

Jaymack blinked. "Wait, what?"

"Nay!" Jaymack's father bellowed. "I would destroy you all for partnering with my treacherous son!"

"I wouldn't say we're partners." Arcane said.

"Barely even acquaintances." Henri muttered.

Justin scratched his head. "I don't even think we've met properly."

"Silence!" Jaymack's father was growing bigger by the second. "Regardless of affiliation, I will slaughter you all!"

"Then I guess we've got no choice but to fight together!" Arcane declared. "All under the leadership of Boss Jaymack!"

"You guys were going to throw me under the bus a second ago...."

"All under the leadership of Boss Jaymack!" Arcane repeated. "Now what do I recall about zombies?"

Alter caught the less-than-subtle hint and replied with a sigh. "He looks like an intermediate level vengeance ghoul. A vengeance ghoul is usually formed when someone is murdered in a moment of great betrayal. They have a strong affinity with the area in which they were murdered, in this case being the lake. And they gain extra power if near the source of their vengeance or if fed something with medicinal purposes"

As the familiar spoke, Arcane repeated the information for everyone else to hear.

"However, they also have an foci that anchors their souls to their bodies. In this case, it looks like his skull from when he was human. It's probably buried in that mass of mud, urine and porridge that he's calling a body. If you want to kill him permanently, you'll need to find, dig out that skull and smash it. And considering he seems to be absorbing the lake to become stronger... you may want to do it fast."
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2015, 01:58:16 AM »
"This is going to take everyone working together!" declared Black JayMack.
"I'll open the treasure bag!" yelled Henry and Justin at the very same moment.
"I will return to my home dimension if I am required to bathe in whatever yellow flood is about drown us," declared Kassin.
"Come on, people!" called Arcane, at the same time that he was shimmying as far from the massive Vengeance Ghoul as he could get.
Le Chat just licked his ass paws-- like a cat, licking its ass paws.

Suddenly

[Hold on, interrupted Alter, A good writer is never supposed to say 'suddenly' during an action scene. Can't you do any better?]

All of a sudden, the plug of the lake popped free again, and was launched high into the curve roof of the cave. Strange white creatures swarmed from the yellow spew. They were round, with brush bristles for movement, and these spun at an extreme rate of RPMs, causing bubbly suds to fly in every direction.

Le Chat looked up, and his hair stood on end. Like a cat [Shut it, said Alter. No one remembers the joke, and anyone who might is tired of it.] He transformed quickly into the raptor and form and yelled, "Watch out! It's the cleaning crew form the space ship!"

Everyone turned and looked at the saurus incredulously. "There's a space ship?"

"Yes, and the natives are NOT friendly. They tried to clean me to death. Cats do not like to be wet, and reptiles have skin that can really dry out if you're not careful."

Meanwhile, Justin had managed to open the treasure bag, and had pulled out a strange object. It was a small box made of metal, and it had a red button in the center. A label read: "Push in case of emergency." Well, thought Justin, no time like the present. What could go wrong? He closed his eyes, held his breath, and pushed down on the button.

Light blazed from a miniature sun that suddenly appeared all of a sudden in the center of the cavern. Alpha Team and Omega Team were sucked into the vortex before they could say "theladiesoftheharemofthecourtofkingkaradikus".

They emerged into daylight on the shore of a body of water. Gulls cried, and the salt tang of the sea tickled their noses. But then their noses were assaulted by a fould odor. It was coming from ne of two Nord sailing ships racing across the water.

And at the prow of one of the ships was the most horrible sight anyone could imagine.

The huge vengeance ghoul had also emerged from the vortex. Now it stared at the form tied to the bow of the ship, and groaned. "Those hips, dear gods, those hips!"
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2015, 02:00:46 AM »
HERE ENDETH THE THREAD. SEE THE NEXT THREAD: "JayMack's Quest for the Dragon Diamond"
www.starlit-lands.com