December 09, 2019, 05:51:36 AM

Author Topic: RPG 2015: Jmack's Recruiting Thread  (Read 17875 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: RPG 2015: Jmack's Recruiting Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 12:29:04 AM »
Team Omega

Kassin reduced his size to fit through the trap door and slithered to a stop next to the shadowed one. This "Justin" had potential. He controlled light, twisting it away from himself as easily as a micrometer thin plastisheet on Kassin's home plane. He was unconsciously tapping into a blood rune; had probably scribbled it on his body somewhere not even knowing what it meant. He might have even more power - if he was taught.

The treasure room was straight down from where they stood, with meters of granite between them and it. Kassin drew a fusion-colored crystal from under the skin flap below his left front leg. He blew on it, and it flared into life.

"Wha?" said the Justin.  The granite under their feet liquified and the two were lowered into the depths.

It was at that moment that Arcane had decided to follow them through the trap door. As he fell through the air, the floor dropped out from under him. "Oh shite." His legs slipped out from under him as he hit the surface of granite slop. He slapped into it face first.

"Damn," said the shadow master. "Did that hurt?"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:57:26 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »
Team Alpha

The team began to descend the winding staircase. They went round and round and down and down and round and down and down  and round about fifty times each and finally came out at the edge of a huge gigantic enormous cavernous cave-like cavern. It was filled with multi-coloured stalagfruits and stalagloops which hung from every corner and all across the ceiling. A vast shimmering blue lake stretched as far as the eye or glasses or even magic vision could see.

"Well now, there's a thing" Oggy exclaimed gazing all around. "Seems like we just had A Long Walk to Water, but that's the wrong genre and in any case I haven't read it, so I don't know what happens next, this might be a useful retreat if we ever need it but on the other hand it could be a dead end trap. That lake may not be water and would probably turn us to jelly or dissolve usto nothing or burn us up into gas or transform us into......"
At his point she actually broke off and committed the deadly sin of double posting because she had already typed the whole lot once today and lost the darn lot by accident which she often did.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 02:27:32 AM »
Before she had time to catch breath Smug tugged at her green lace petticoat and whined pathetically.

"Öh my sweet luvvie, your legs must ache and you must be so hungry,lLuckily I tucked a few gluten free Giant Squid Eyes in my pocket for all of us,  I got the recipe from Pantella Awesome and they're the best I've tasted since I cooked Spicy Atku Cat Walrus Eyes for the Great Sultan. Too much of this rushing around and not eating properly, King Jaymack, a robber/bandit/hero/pirate  band marches on it stomach, or so they say, but that seems pretty silly when you know they could march on bare feet and boil their boots, so someone better decide what we do next so I can get back to my warm kitchen and check what's in the freezer."

To everyone's relief she suddenly stopped talking, handed out purple glowing Squid Eyes, and then picked up Smug, even though he weighed eleventy dragonstone. She whispered in his ear and he nodded happily.

Everyone else started talking at top speed before Oggy could begin again.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »
JayMack would have looked out across the lake in stunned silence, except that he was talking wildly in self-preservation to keep Oggy from starting up again.

A strange echoing sound reverberated across the water. In the light of the stalaglamps, they saw a hail of stone pouring out of the cavern ceiling in the distance. Two figures descended gently to the far shore, followed by another screaming as he fell.

"Well," said Jaymack. "Looks like both teams are on the same level. But I think they're closer to the treasury."
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 03:01:31 AM »
Team Omega

Arcane lifted his (now red) face up, with a disgusting suction sound from the ground. The two humans were now down to their chest in the rocky goo. Kassin deployed his wings over the surface, brushing both his companions.

"Hold on to me" he said, "grab my claw there, right, I'll pull you close."
"No need to be this... friendly" Justin squeaked as a clawed wing bumped against his head. Kassin shot him as dark a look as his iridescent, pupil-free eyes could cast.
"How about you shut the fuck up, and focus on the symbol you carved in your flesh?"
Justin gaped at that, and started to protest, only to be silenced by his own realisations.
"Huh. Yes... what about it?"
"Do you feel a sense of heaviness to it?" Kassin asked.
"Yeeess... Yes I guess you could say that. Something a bit unusual."
Kassin snickered. "That, dear fellow, is the pull shadow tech makes the user feel when they are above a very large amount of pure blackness."

A bit of silence stretched.

"What does it mean?" asked Arcane suspiciously. He was now close to the weird winged creature. "It means we're above a pretty high cavity. Death by gravity. Damn, I could make you slam instead of singing." Alter answered in his ear.
"A high cavity?"
"Exactly, human." Kassin answered, an air of surprised satisfaction on his face.
"Fascinating!" Justin cheered.
"Whatever. Just hold on to me tight, you two, I'm going to turn the liquid stone to mist before my head goes under. Then we drop. Hopefully you both survive that."
"Man, you're such a wet blanket.." Justin breathed out, as his own head went under the stone surface.
"I never bargained for that shi iii iiit!" was Arcane's own contribution as the floor swallowed him too.

Time to shine, Kassin thought. And in a hissing cough of plasma, he burst the fusion crystal in two pieces, turning the stone in a mist of molecular dust with an urge to get the hell away. And the group fell into darkness. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:05:09 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 03:25:15 AM »
Noise. Stifling dust. Granite ruined to mud. Screaming.

Then silence.

Justin and Arcane got back to their feet unsteadily, wondering what truck wagon exactly had run over them. The tiger-dragon or dragon-tiger of whatever the fuck it was was standing at the side of a wide, dark lake. It turned and looked at the two humans. If it was possible for such an alien face to look smug, then by the gods that face was smugness itself.

Arcane started singing again, just to try to wipe that cod-sucking non-smile off its face.

"There was a woman in our town, in our town did dwell.
She loved her old man dearly, but another man twice as well.
She went into the doctor to see what she could find, to see what she could find, boys,
For to make her old man blind."

"Do you really have to?" said Justin. "I'm trying concentrate on my shadow tech."

"Your what?"

"She called it shadow tech."

"If she called it A Wookie, would you call it a Wookie?"

"A what?"

"Oh, never mind."

The dragon-tiger thingy looked at them and curled it's upper lip. It had gone from smug to snide. "The treasure is under this lake," it said.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:28:45 AM by Jmack »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 03:33:39 AM »
"And just for the record," Kassin added, "I'm a He, and technically carnivorous, so mind your pronouns."

"And does your maleness know how to turn water into air, to help on further?" Arcane went on sarcastically.

Kassin sat on his thick tail and patted his sides and the various crystal stashes hidden along his ribs. He counted only two crystals for molecular modification and he had no intention to use them for such a job.
He rolled on his back in the black sand of the lake's shore and looked at the men with a happy grin.

"Nah. You're on for this one guys."

"I think I have an idea, anyway." Justin said.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 03:46:27 AM »
Team Alpha

Henry looked across the surface of the lake to where the other group was standing looking back at them. One of them was wading into the water and flapping his arms over his head.

"What in the world is he doing?" Henry wondered aloud.

"Dancing?" said JayMack. Smug was dancing. The darn dragon was completely obsessed with the cook. "Sausage. I bet you feed him sausage."

"I think," replied Oggy, ending her self-imposed silence, "that someone over there may be think that the treasure is under still water."

"Dad!" yelled JayMack in frustration. When he'd calmed down, he turned to his teammates. "Anyone have any ideas how to search for a treasure chamber under a few fathoms of freezing lake water?"
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 04:50:07 AM »
Oggy looked thoughtful, then spoke - as usual, yet again. of course, what did you expect?

"There is a very large blast chiller up in the kitchen. Must have been left over from the My Castle's Catering Rules Competition sometime. If you took the freezing engining thing out of the housing it could be used to freeze the lake solid. And with my Crème Brouhaha Giant Flame Gun we could melt a clean hole through the centre  down to the lakebed and see if there is any sign of hidden tunnels or treasure trove. Hang on a jiff."

Without waiting for comment or protest she turned to Smug,  "Need a claw little fellow, can you help?"

Smug nodded happily and he and Oggy joined hands and claws. They jumped up and down three times chanting "SaintlyScottie SaintlyScottie Saintly Scottie Entërprise Rules!"
Music rang forth at top volume, you all know the tune, whereupon a Big Blast Freezer and a Giant Flame Gun were transported to the ground in front of the stunned band.

"Now I've solved that problem, you guys and guyesses can get on with the labouring part. Wake me up when you need more help or get too hungry, whichever comes first." With that Oggy settled in a corner with Smug on her lap, threw an apron over her head and they both began to snore.

Jaymack looked at the crew "Better get on with it, I suppose, if we want to eat tonight. At least she's asleep for a while. Thank the Great Goat God for some peace and quiet.  Let's see what is at the Bottom of the Lake and hope we can also find the rest of the crew.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:07:01 AM by Lady Ty »

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
Team Omega's problem changed when the lake started freezing over. Kassin liquified it once more after which it froze over again. What was this dark magic!

Henry over at team Alpha felt like an idiot. Here they were, running back and forth with these freeze-a-bobbles- honestly, what was that name? The lake kept liquifying again however. The cook, having gotten bored, came to check on them and found the lake still liquid.
"Are you guys even working?"
"This is most evil magic at work here!" Jaymack blurted out.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
Scarlet approached the castle with a strange feeling - no sounds anywhere.

[don't ask me how she can be on the ship with Doc and in Jaymack's castle - she's a spy, she's got tricks!]

The throne room was empty, the kitchen was empty.
Taking an extra bowl of the chocolate mousse (wow, Oggy was *good*), she followed down staircase to a big cavernous cavern. She could see the lake, and Jaymack's cronies split into 2 groups, on opposite sides.

Jaymack noticed her and called 'Hey, red woman, stop disappearing! What can you tell us about this evil magic?'

'Evil magic? Nah, it seems a perfectly normal lake to me'

'Well, we're trying to go under, can you help?'

Scarlet thought for a while. She needed to get some more information, give some help, but not enough that they actually succeeded, so...
Biding her time, she asked 'What exactly are you trying to do?'

Jaymack started saying something when Smug jumped over 'We want to check the lakebed for tunnels or treasure, we're trying to find the magical treasure from his dad!!! Come play with me do you have food? I can smell chocolate you are a very nice lady I like you a lot you will give me food and you will play with me on the lake and...'

Hmm a treasure! Doc must be told immediately!
However, given Jaymack's annoyed face Scarlet assumed he still didn't trust her completely, so she should give a little help.

'Oh that is easy, I'll help. I'll leave this here with you while I go.. erm... buy more stuff'

And she vanished up the stairs, leaving behind 2 sets of diving equipment and a half-eaten bowl of chocolate mousse, that Smug made disappear in his own way...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:34:25 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »
On team Omega's side the lake stopped freezing.
"Finally!" Justin sighed. "What was all that just now?"

Team Alpha was posed with a new problem however. None of them fitted in the diving suits left by the lady in red.
Henry was too tall, Oggy too fat and dark Jaymack too small.
"This won't do." He muttered from the depths of a suit.
They looked at the suits, the kitchen equipment and the dragon...
Henry wondered out loud. "What if we... build a bathysphere?"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:09:22 PM by Henry Dale »

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
"A what?" said JayMack.

"A bathysphere, sort of hot water ballon except , well, no, that's not a good image. Sort of a bladder. Eek. Worse. Sort of a round boat, enclosed on all sides, and people go inside, and it sinks and then..."

"Then what? You open the front door to go check out the treasure. And what's wrong with that idea?"

"The water rushes in when you open the door?"

While they were talking @Raptori slunk out from behind an outcropping. The cat had been watching all of the goings on with detached amusement. Now he wandered over to one of the abandoned diving suits and sat down daintily - like a dainty cat inspecting a pillow. It's was strange. Ever since that terrible Frenchman had transformed him, the cat had developed a sense that he was now something more than he'd been. He twitched a whisker - like a sly cat, thinking catlike thoughts - and then he transformed himself back into the raptor form the Frenchman had taught him.

He was a perfect fit for the diving suit now. The two men continued arguing while Le Chat slipped into the now thawed-out water - like a quiet cat slinking through a dark room.

The lake water closed over his head and he swam down and down into the dark. He turned on the head lamp and the floor of the lake was revealed. In the center of the lake was a strange object: circular, sort of white, made of some kind of rubbery substance. It had a large silvery loop through a hole in a semi-circular ridge that flared from it flat surface, and attached to the loop was a long chain of little metal balls cunningly connected one to the other.

"Hmm" thought the cat - like a wise cat studying a mouse - "I wonder what happens if you pull on that?"

He grabbed the chain with one gloved hand and pulled. It took all his saurus strength, but the thing finally popped out of the depression into which had been shoved, revealing a gaping black hole in the center of the smooth lake floor. With a great rushing gurgle, lake water began pouring through. The force was so great the Le Chat was sucked down into the hole before he could even do anything - except yowl, like a cat.

Back up on the surface, the members of both teams saw the edge of the lake tremble and a great whirlpool form in its center.

"Anyone want to tell me what that is?" asked an exhausted JayMack.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:30:35 PM by Jmack »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Arcane watched the lakewater draining away and looked over dumbfounded at Justin.

"So was this part of your plan?" He asked.

"No." Justin admitted. "This is new."

"I'm back." Taking advantage of his spirit form, Alter had gone to investigate.

Pretending to be examining something, Arcane moved out of earshot for the rest of his group. "Report."

"Someone pulled the plug." Alter said.

"Is that a joke?"

"Nope. There's a huge white plug near the centre of that whirlpool. Someone's just removed it and now the water is draining down a large hole."

"I see..." Arcane frowned. "Any chance that hole leads to the treasure room?"

"Unlikely." Alter said. "The treasure would probably get damaged if you dumped a lake's worth of water on top of it. More likely this is just a way of revealing the true entrance.

"So we just wait for the water to finish draining and then go searching the lake bottom?" Arcane scratched his chin. "Sounds easy enough."

"..."

"There's a 'but' in there isn't there?"

"The water has to go somewhere." Alter said. "And, to keep this treasure hidden, you need a method to refill this lake."

"So you're suggesting all that drained water is going to make its way back here?" Arcane frowned. "How long do you reckon we have before that happens?"

"I don't know." Alter admitted. "It could be a few hours or just a few minutes. Or I could be wrong. Either way, I don't think it's a good idea to spend too much time fishing around down there...
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »
The flushing sound gave a rather laxative feeling to those gathered round. With a last gurgle and a pitiful meow, the water vanished down that plumbing hole.
"Well. That was smooth." Oggy said. The party looked at the slippery descent.
"Y'know." Henry ventured. "I might be hungry now. Who's up for elevensies?"
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:01:07 PM by Henry Dale »