December 14, 2019, 06:07:15 AM

Author Topic: RPG 2015: Jmack's Recruiting Thread  (Read 17884 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: RPG 2015: Jmack's Recruiting Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
Scarlet entered the castle as a strange light disappeared in the middle of the throne room.
Interesting, she'd have to tell Doc, he might know more about it.

An amazing smell was coming from a side door, something about chilled cream and blueberries... she'd have to do more spying, if that's the kind of food the dark lord had for his gang.
Grabbing a bowl, she approached a strange cat. What was it that felt strange? Oh right, the cat had a bikini on, and a velociraptor tail. Oh well, everyone's going on about diversity, she'd be the last to complain.

The dark lord suddenly appeared nearby and said in a suspicious voice:
'Oh welcome back dear lady. I wondered where you had gone'

'You can't expect me to be here the whole time, do you? I didn't sign for that, and anyway, I still haven't received the tour money. I deserve it, after such boring hours... Anyway, what's been going on? Who are all these... erm... people? Beings? That skined tiger looks particularly dangerous, are you sure it knows who the friends are?'

Jaymack gave a quick laugh 'Sure sure, he's in my perfect control' Waving his arm, he called 'here kitty kitty'.
The tiger gave him a look that chilled his blood and moved in the direction of the balcony, mumbling something about bringing down the goats.

'Goats', thought Scarlet. AR had mentioned something about the old Aktu goat god, could she have fallen in the middle of his cult?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »
[In real life, John laughed and said, oh my god, how will I ever deal with this bunch?  ;) well, and get to work on time.]

"Ok!" yelled JayMack. "Everyone into the kitchen!" The feasting hall had needed a new roof anyway. At least the kitchen was in the oldest part of the castle, and actually had a stone roof. And food.

With beams and blazing gobbets of wood cascading around them, the intrepid band exited the throne room and made their way to where Oggy was holding forth to a somewhat dazed woman in red. Meanwhile, when no one was looking JayMack ran back and grabbed the Unseen Throne and brought it with them.

"Now you see, dear, the blueberries have to be at room temperature and the cream must be almost frozen..." Oggy looked up from her lecturing and saw the band:

A tall thief (Henry the Jack)
A short bard (Arcane)
A startling tiger (Kassin)
A little king (Black JayMack)
A miniature dragon (Smug, who was dancing around Oggy's skirt hem begging for food)
And a strange conglomeration of pussy cat, hissing raptor and curvaceous barbarian maid caught in mid-transformation (name unknown)
A mysterious woman in red, with blueberry stains

Oggy sighed. "Everyone, look over there!" she said. And they all did. She quickly muttered a spell, and the cat-raptor-wench slid back into cat form and jumped up in the counter top.

"What?" said JayMack.

"Oh, thought I saw something." Oggy looked down at the cat. "And no telling," she said. And winked.

Then she looked over at a corner and noticed there was someone else, hanging back, trying not to be noticed (Justin, aka ultamentkiller). She winked at him, too.

"All right!" said JayMack. "Now that we're all here, let's talk about the secret treasury my father hid in the dungeons here."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:14:23 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »
"I suppose the obvious question to start with is 'what do you need us for?'" Arcane said, leaning back in his chair. "If it's your father's fortune, surely you should be able to access it on your own."
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 01:38:11 PM »
Jaymack seemed baffled by this question. "My father set me out in the wild to be raised by goats."
Henry intervened. "Hold on a minute, goats?"
Jaymack nodded. "Yes, goats with dragon wings. Similar to chimerae. Good, doting parents. Great milk too, it's how I got this tall."
"Male goats don't give that kind of milk."
Jaymack spun around. "Who said that?!"
No one ventured to raise his hand however as the small lord eyed everyone in suspicion.

Arcane sighed. "Get back to the point please and skip this nonsense."
Jaymack gave Arcane a nasty look. "Fine, the Dragon Diamond is the key. It holds a secret so great. The problem is, those Fantasia louts have it."

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
"Hmm. The dragon diamond. Yes, but let me start over a bit.

Well," started JayMack, "I know my father. There's no way he would leave even a hidden treasure unguarded or unlocked. I haven't the brawn for the guard or the key for the lock. What I do have is a map of the dungeons. So, help me out while we wait and see if anyone else is joining our merry band, and there will be gold and probably some cool other stuff for anyone who helps."

JayMack saw stony silence from the crew.

"Oh, you're wondering about to 50 gold pieces I promised. Well, I'm sure there will be that amount... and more! yes, assuredly more! And I did mention a tour. I just didn't say it would be of the dungeons.  ;D"

The strange tigerish being opened its jaws and an otherwordly voice emerged: "But what is this about a mission beyond a pathetic dungeon crawl?"

"Ah, yes. I'll get to that in more detail. But the short version is:

> We've been hired by a secret sponsor to find a sacred object in a buried temple
> But before we can do that, we need to know where the temple is, and the dragon diamond is the key
> Meanwhile, I have it on good authority that there is a group of villains who oppose our righteous cause

"At the end of the day, you'll all be rich, and I'll have the power to take back my lands from the evil Fantasia empire."

The cat was licking its ass paws; the cook was muttering about the melting temperature of sugar (though her ears had pricked up at the mention of the dragon diamond); the thief was buffing his nails; the tiger was looking hungry; the bard was singing a bawdy song under his breath; and the woman in red was suddenly nowhere to be found.

Jaymack wasn't sure this going very well. And the smell of goat was getting really strong in the room.

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 03:52:14 PM »
"Ah dungeons, that sounds quite fun to be honest. We may find a challenge there, for a change." Henry said as he stirred a cup of tea. "Mayhaps this could be interesting enough to stay. Let's just say breaking into dungeons and retrieving valuable objects is part of my everyday routine. In a gentlemanly manner of course. Show us the map, Jaymack, sir."

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »
JayMack knew he'd put that map somewhere. He just needed a bit of time to remember where.

But in the meantime, he reminisced about his childhood among the flying goats. It had been... wonderful, really. How nice of the new crew to have brought that to mind. In fact, adopting Smug had probably been an attempt to recapture the memory of his brother and sister goats. But they were all gone now. All gone. Damn the king of Fantasia to hell.

The bard was singing terribly, but he was singing:

"A lusty young smith at his forge was a'toiling
A'toiling and toiling the hours away.
When to him a buxom young damsel came smiling
and asked if to work at her forge he would play.
With a jingle-bang-jingle-bang-jingle-bang-jingle
With a jingle-bang-jingle-bang-jingle hi hey!"

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:09:58 PM by Jmack »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »
Kassin felt disgusted. He had waded through the property without meeting anyone, and into a deserted room with an invisible thrones and a loitering pet dragon. He had followed noises all the way to a room where the presence of scraps of food entitled it as a "kitchen" and where everyone had stood around, dismissing Kassin and jabbering about some quest.

While Kassin usually felt amused by how confused and dismissive of him most humans were, he couldn't help but feel annoyed upon realising that the source of the call was a money driven nutbar, and that his assembled bunch of misfit was just as ignorant of the subtle arts.
Or else, they would be able to recognise the power tattoos crawling in golden signs on Kassin's belly, or able to find that "hidden treasure".

Damn that did not even require blood runes. Just a matter of fine tuning really. Kassin had already pinpointed where the room was, and being mistaken for a misshapen dragon while they all ran in circles in search for a secret that was not really one had little appeal as a way to spend the rest of his day.
He had run for hours in hopes of having an educated discussion.

Now his grumpiness evolved into hunger. Kassin turned toward the shadow that was lurking in the corner. The shape there oozed ill intent and animal power. Kassin discerned horns and two nuggets of golden eyes.

"You can see me, monster?" the shadow whispered, unnoticed by the boisterous, eating crowd.
Kassin hissed back, a high note, just as lost on the group of humans.
"Be gone you filthy lurker. Come forth so that I can see you, or hide your face by taking it out of my reach!"
A white flash of pointy teeth tore the shadow in a twisted grin before dissolving in the wall.

"Let's split up in teams!" The master of the house, one called JayMack, was yelling at the table. Chaos ensued.

Kassin decided to find his own food, and wandered back to the main room and its collection of smoking beams.
The pet dragon was there, chewing on a blackened bone.

Kassin jogged to him and spread his wings out, making a display of size against the smaller creature.
"Your name" Kassin spat. Dragon language was as dumb and simple as most dragon minds.
"Smug" was the subdued answer.
"Share food. Now." Kassin went on, baring his fangs, sampling the air with his forked tongue.
The smaller dragon didn't dare refuse, and soon they were both chewing on a couple of strips of raw meat.

Kassin's good humour and scientific mind returned as he started to feel satiated, and he decided to prod the dragon, who was now as much his pet as he was Jaymack's.

"What you do."
"Eat. All. Human, animal, tell master, burn for master" was Smug's smug answer.
"Why?" Kassin pressed on. The dragon looked lost at that however.
"Food, home. Master.."
"Good. You find room, gold, crystal. Smell it, feel it?"
"Yes, room, down down down, right, wall, down, floor, gold, lots".
Great Kassin thought. Even the pet dragon knows where to find the treasure room. What a bunch of twiggies I just ran to.
His curious mind however, led him back to the kitchen room. Maybe these were humans he could speak with. Maybe he could blow his cover and help them on. Worst came to worst, he could easily kill them all, he believed.
If no one had more than the average technology, maybe, just maybe they'd be curious – or desperate – enough to learn from him and evolve.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:15:14 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 05:20:35 PM »
After being confronted by the strange dragon creature, Justin stood staring. Well, he thought, Obviously lurking around isn't going to work out anymore. And Kassin, he might actually know what he's doing. But first, a test.
While Kassin was focused on Smug and the food, Justin crept up behind him, still cloaked in shadows. As long as he didn't look over his shoulder... He extended a shadowy hand and quickly cloaked the piece of meat before kicking it into a corner. Justin quickly rushed back to the wall, smiling to himself at the thought of his reaction. And then Justin looked around. Well, that was disappointing. Kassin had already wandered away before even noticing.
Justin went back to the kitchen. Kassin stood standing against the wall, quietly observing the strange humans. He knows where the treasure is, he thought, so why isn't he saying anything? Maybe he wants it for himself? Maybe I could take a hundred gold pieces without anyone but Kassin knowing. But could I risk it? Does he know? Justin shook his head. Of course he knows. He's not acting like the others, asking questions and giving helpful suggestions. And he's certainly not shy.
Thinking no one would be paying attention to him, Justin tapped the dragon on the shoulder. He spun on him, teeth bared. "Whoa whoa whoa," Justin whispered, "It's me. The shadow. Come with me." Eyeing him suspiciously, Kassin followed him outside of the room. He cloaked them both in shadows so no one would see them if they started the scavenger hunt.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
While the rest of the group were discussing splitting up for their scavenger hunt, Arcane backed slowly away into another room. As he did, he kept up his singing and hoped no-one would notice how much his eyes were twitching.

"A lusty young smith at his forge was a'toiling
A'toiling and toiling the hours away.
When to him a buxom young damsel came smiling
and asked if to work at her forge he would play.
With a jingle-bang-jingle-bang-"

"All right." Alter interrupted. "I think we're alone."

"That was possibly the most awkward 20 minutes of my life." Arcane said in a low voice. "You have to know a better song than that for me to sing."

"Well, I apologise for my lack of musical knowledge, Master." Alter's face couldn't be seen but it was obvious he was holding back a smirk. "But if I recall, you were the one to suggest 'bard' as an occupation."

"Don't remind me." Arcane scowled. "Seriously though, I can't just repeat that song on loop for the whole quest. You've got to know at least one other."

"Well, there was this one about a buxom young maid, who-"

"Preferably one I can use around young children without being arrested."

"'Fraid nothing comes to mind." Alter lied. "If you're desperate, you could always try asking Oxford."

"I don't think there's a single situation in the world where 'asking Oxford' would be a good idea." Arcane decided to change the subject. "Did you find anything interesting?"

While Arcane had been 'singing' he'd sent Alter to scout the area in search of anything useful.

"Not much." Alter admitted. "A few throne rooms here and there, not much of interest. I think there was a treasure room somewhere, but I couldn't sense any summoning scrolls, so that's not of much use to us."

"What about our comrades?"

"An interesting bunch. Especially that cat over there." Alter nodded at Kassim. "I don't know exactly what those tattoos are on his belly, but I know they're something strong. And unnatural.

"What about the cook?"

"I get the impression she's a lot older than she appears. But she seems harmless enough." Alter reported. "The guy you really need to keep an eye on is the shadow.

"The shadow?"

"You didn't notice him?" Alter sounded surprised. "He's been in the corner most of the meeting."

"I did not..." Arcane frowned. Apparently someone here was very skilled with espionage. "It might be worth finding out what he's up to. If he's the familiar of another summoner..."

"I don't think so. I'd sense if that was the case." Alter said. "You're right though. We should get him on his own and find out what he's up to. And this scavenger hunt may be a good opportunity..."
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »
"Let's split up in teams!" Jaymack had decided and they would do so through a game of Dance Dance Revolution. The problem was only few of them knew the rules and it soon turned into a flailing of limbs, soup, cat tails and counterfeit gemstones.
"Full house! I win!" Shouted Scarlet.
"That's not how Darts goes." The cook scolded.
"I thought we were just having a tea party." Henry spoke, puzzled.

Somehow they ended up in two disorderly heaps of bodies when Jaymack roared "Stop!"
Everyone looked up at the little fellow. "Ahem, we are divided into two groups. Group one will go left, group two...down. Ready, set, go!"

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 06:45:39 PM »
In a confused muddle, the teams left the kitchen.

Team Omega: Justin had wrapped the tigerish Kassin in shadows, which Kassin barely allowed - but, hey, he'd get nowhere if he ate everyone before completing his investigations. Justin was powerful with shadows, but Kassin blazed like a bonfire to those with the eyes to see. Which was how Alter tracked the two of them and led Arcane in their wake.

Team Alpha: Black Jaymack, Henry the Jack, and Oggy the cook turned left at the blazing banquet hall and passed down a set of steps. Smug the dragon followed the cook's every move, adoration in its puppy-like eyes. The silent, unnamed cat padded after them.

Meanwhile, the woman in red was gone again. She seemed to flicker in and out of the tale like a willow-the-wisp. Jaymack decided to call her the Scarlet Willow, since she'd never introduced herself.

(continued in next post)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 06:51:22 PM »
Team Alpha:

Henry the Jack couldn't hold back his impatience. "So, JayMack - or should I call you BJ? This treasure of your father's... Any chance there's a big blue glowing diamond secreted away with it? Did your father ever talk of such a thing?"

"No," the little king answered. "But our sponsor, the one putting up the reward for the great final magical thing that we'll find in the buried magical place guarded by.. magical.. thingies. He said that we'll need that diamond, and that an enemy named Mister Freeze has it. Or was that Professor Arctic? Damn, my memory sometimes."

Henry ground his teeth. Patience, he told himself. It was the score he'd been dreaming of his whole professional life. Retirement was at the end of that trail, blessed retirement. With money. And women.

The team turned and started down a winding stone staircase.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Team Omega

The other group was comprised of three - or maybe 3.5 - individuals who took themselves very seriously.  Kassin was disappointed the dragon had stayed with the cook, but there was no accounting for taste. But the location of the treasure was obvious to his enlightened mind; he didn't need the dragon.

Justin kept the shadows wound tight. The only problem was that it was hard to see outside the damn shrouds. They were great when you were standing still. Just awesome. But moving? Avoiding walls became a full time occupation. Which was why he was so startled when the floor disappeared under his feet, and he suddenly fell through a trap door in the floor of castle.

"Damn," said Arcane. "Did that hurt?"
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
Damn shadows, Justin thought with annoyance. Dismissing them entirely, he grumpily got to his feet. He grunted and looked pointedly at Kassin. "Alright, since apparently we're on a team together..." He paused glancing briefly at Arcane, then turned back to Kassin. "What are you up to? You're not asking questions, you're not being of much help, so you obviously know something we all don't. I'm guessing that would be the location of the gold. So, spit it out." Kassin looked at Justin annoyance showing clearly on his weird non-human face.
"Humans with your games and your stupidity. I came here for a quest. Not for simple gold and food. Why should I help you?"
"Obviously because you're standing here and, from the looks of things, have nothing better to do."
"I..." Kassin's eyes darted around the room, as if he was looking for something more important. Shaking his head, he turned and angrily stomped away. The bard chuckled and began to sing some song about a lovely maid. One look from the strange creature ended that potential disaster. Despite his annoyance with his shadow mistake, Justin smiled briefly. He looked over his shoulder and found Arcane looking at Kassin with a huge grin on his face. Crazy bards.