December 09, 2019, 05:00:29 AM

Author Topic: RPG 2015: JayMack's Quest for the Dragon Diamond  (Read 15265 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: RPG 2015: JayMack's Quest for the Dragon Diamond
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
There was a strange, accountant-looking man in the room, sitting at a wide wooden table. He looked up and gave Henry the Jack a thin smile.

"Mr. Dale, I presume?" He flipped through a set of files, and slid one out; opened it, and removed a single sheet of paper.

"Er, I suppose," said the Jack.

"Yes, Mr. Dale. Indeed, Mr. Dale. Mr. Dale, I have here a warrant for your arrest and punishment by order of his highest Goatness, Atku. Have you anything to say before sentence is passed?"

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »
Henry the Jack backed away... "No!" he screamed. "You can't catch me yet! My birthday is only in 19 days! Tell that goat to go punish someone else."
The accountant frowned. "In that case, you're too early." He took a little goat doll and made Henry stare at it intently. The eyes lit up.

Henry found himself in a long corridor. How strange...had he been here before?

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
The corridor ended in a cul-de-sac with three doors. On one door, text was scratched into a metal plaque, and read:

I write this here inscribed in metal so that Atku cannot change what I say here. Do not believe what is written on any door but this one. Enter here.

On another door, there was a similar inscription, but this time in wood. It read:

I write this here inscribed in wood so that Atku cannot change what I say here. Do not believe what is written on any door but this one. Enter here.

And finally on the third door, there was an inscription in whipped cream that somehow had not melted or dripped but tasted fantastic.

I write this here inscribed in whipped dessert topping so that any passers by can have a taste. Do not believe what is written on any door but this one. Enter here.

Henry scratched his butt head. This was a puzzler.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:20 AM »
  I write this here inscribed in whipped dessert topping so that any passers by can have a taste. Do not believe what is written on any door but this one. Enter here.

Henry couldn't resist the whipped dessert topping. Guilelessly believing that only good could come from such a delicious challenge and hoping there was an early birthday cake awaiting him, he eagerly bounded through the door..........

.........and found himself in a long room with laden kitchen benches in every direction. Trolls, Elves, Olympians, Mistwraiths, Dragons, and a few Frost Giants, all wearing black aprons, were slaving away over pastry boards, pressure cookers, ovens, mixers and piping bags.  At the front stood three asses wearing long white wigs and scarlet robes. On a table in front of them were place settings for a gourmet degustation. On cushions to one side were three large black caps.

“Welcome to  First Emperor Chef King Initial Nouveau Gastronomie Contest, ”  someone shouted at Henry. He turned to see a tall man with wild black hair staring fixedly into his eyes and gesticulating at him with pointed fingers. "This is the Instant Death Round."

“I am Macho Pierre Blanc and you are contestant three hundred and nine. Take your place at a bench and make yourself the hero of the dish. We wish to see you on a plate. A few tears and a soppy background story will help with the judges.”

A short redfaced orc with a spikey hairdo strode forward and thrust his face close, eyeballing him with evil intent.   Macho Pierre Blanc introduced him to Henry.

"This is your mentor* Gordy Ramsbum from Bistro Hades. You must achieve the fourteen dish menu with Soylent Green and three other ingredients in the next forty minutes. Failure means instant and permanent elimination but success will bring a wonderful reward for you and your friends and make you F.E.C.K.I.N.G Winner-for-LIfe. Go forth young man and do your best to degust!”

Henry rolled up his sleeves in desperation and began to cook. The honour of the crew was at steak, not to mention his life.

*Please fill in all GR’s mentoring for yourselves, you only need  F’s G’s and ***’s.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:45:01 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 05:44:40 AM »
Unfortunately, Henry knew not how to grill a steak. Things were looking bad for his survival.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 05:55:14 AM »
Unfortunately, Henry knew not how to grill a steak. Things were looking bad for his survival.

Knew someone would bite ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »
Now we'll leave Henry's ordeal be for a moment and return to the rest of the troupe. After all he's been in the spotlight for quite some time now.
Jaymack and the others had been following Kassin through the maze and happened upon an orchard. The apples on the trees looked delicious. Oggy couldn't wait to turn them into pies, but Justin stopped her. "There's something magical about them. Oggy reached for an apple either way. The sound of didgeridoos stopped them."

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
A mob of giant skippy's, all playing rainbow striped didgeridoos, hopped up to surround the crew. They all wore bus conductor's caps, with green and gold stripes.  Kassin gaped, they were bigger than him and definitely had more powerful tails. Arcane, Justin and Oggy moved promptly behind Jaymack as the leading mobster skippy grinned at them.

"G'day mates, howryagoin'? Those Tassie apples are premium ticketstaride, so grabahan'ful each and climb inta our pouchpockets. The joeys'll make room ferya.  Whered'yawannago?"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:35:09 PM by Lady Ty »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »
Kassin snorted. This was it.

He walked away from the roos and the now overly excited group of mercenaries that had come forth to pet the giant animals or eat fruits and chat idly.

Things were off. Too many of them. Ever since the call had rung and he had joined that team of misfits, it seemed like the barrieres between parallel worlds had thinned, disrupting normality and laws of physics and probability.
Could his own inter-world travel had been a cause of problem? Was his participation to the events making a snow ball effect on the future of this world?

Kassin spoke aloud in his tongue, often too high for humans ears to hear, and took notes he dictated to his storage Kark crystal. He needed some insight from his home world but daren't open a portal yet, in case it was what caused such chaos here.
A shadow thickened by his side as he finished the last sentences.

"Yes?"
"Well, what are you doing Kassin?" Justin asked, materialising in his lean human form.
Kassin didn't answer but instead eyed the human thoughtfully.
"Would you be interested in getting some new skills Justin?" the Dracon asked, whipping his forked, harsh tongue out as if to sample the air to taste Justin's feelings. "I could teach you something even more powerful than the single rune you carry carved on you. Something far more dangerous but rewarding."
Kassin grinned, exhibiting his dagger length set of silvery teeth like a death threat and waited for Justin's answer.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:41:13 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
"Hell yeah," Justin replied eagerly. "You seem to know a lot of things that I don't. I'm up for whatever. you have in store."

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:46 AM »
The scholar in Kassin came to life with delight. he had no idea if the power tattoos his kind used extensively would work on a human, or affect his health. Or even if the ascendant would work...
The ascendant principle dictated that the tattooer kept a power over the tattooed, preventing the gifted powers to be used against him.
Trained tattooers obviously enjoyed a very large power and superiority in Dracon society. Kassin was just one such tattooer and a very talented one. He had gone so far as to work some of his own technology in the tender flesh of his belly, making him an independent force to be respected.

The shard of Incal crystal he had picked from the bag of goodies was one of the medium type of tattoo stones one used to gift power.
This young man Justin had a remarkable mastership of shadows, for someone who went about with nothing more than a crude blood rune, Kassin didn't doubt that he could push his talent far beyond the current state of things.

The two of them huddled in a corner, whispering to each other out of earshot from the main group.
"I would tattoo you on each of your forearm, on the inside there," Kassin said, running a soft finger along Justin's arms, "it will hurt like hell and bleed a bit. The pain will stay for longer than on a normal tattoo of your world. Power will suffuse your flesh."
Justin perked up at the mention of power. "What would this allow me to do?"
"I would tattoo you for mastery of shadows. If you were what I am, the effect would be that you could completely disappear in dark shade, you could stalk people in their shadows, you could move unnoticed across rooms as long as you have shadows to reach, and you would be able to expand it around of you, creating artificial nights and killing light in poorly lit places. Bend shades and shadows too, to light a path or hide it.. truly it depends on your imagination and your own substantial power."
Justin gaped. It sounded too good to be true. "Any drawbacks?"
"Well, I'm not sure if it'll work just like that, I never tattooed a human. Also you shouldn't be able to dupe me with shadows if I don't wish it, tattooers have that privilege."
"Huh. I guess that's like a pact of non-agression? An association of sorts?"
"I'm more curious than anything else." Kassin answered coolly. "I'm sure we can collaborate anyway, you seem rather sensible and dedicated to whatever your own cause is. As long as it never crosses mine..."

Justin thought the proposition over and finally nodded, holding his front arms forward to Kassin. Who doesn't gamble a bit doesn't get anything exciting... right?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:58:39 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2015, 04:19:11 AM »
"We're searching for Laboratory #2" JayMack told the Aussie renegade conductors. "Can you take us there?"

"Aow, 'n why might tha' be the place for ya, mate?" the lead creature asked. A platypus tried to pop out of the kanga's pouch, but the thing gave it a beer and a pat on the head and it pulled back inside.

"Well, we think that's where we'll find something important. But we have no idea what." Even JayMack thought that sounded lame. But the chorus of skippys just said, "Hop in and hang on tight. Make sure to have your apples out where I can see them"

JayMack, Oggy, Arcane and Smug all jumped in.
Leaving Kassin and Justinchatting in the shadows.
Henry the Jack slaving in the kitchen.
And Raptori Le Chat utterly disappeared from the narrative.

Inside the pouches, they found a rumpus room filled with rubber duckies and cupcakes. Before they could stay "Tolkien" they were being given the green light to disembark. Piling out, they saw a glass door with thin wire mesh between its panes, and labeled "Laboratory #2".

They peered into the room, and saw a small gold ring held in a stasis field, projecting wild lights and energy around the laboratory like someone's lost and demented disco ball.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2015, 04:20:41 AM »
Justin writhed, squirmed, flinched, flailed, twitched and trembled on the ground trying to relieve the pain. It was agonising, irritating, crucifying, annoying, bruising, tormenting, excruciating.
It hurt.
Kassin watched impassively.
Finally Justin became calmer and gently cleaned his blood soaked arms with a cool cloth which had appeared conveniently nearby.
" This better be worth it,” he grated out through gritted teeth and looked at his arms.
His eyes widened and his mouth opened in a soundless scream …….
as he stared at his new tattoos…………

Meanwhile Oggy and Smug looked with delight at the stasis field.

"Superpower premium fuel for your flames at last, Smugs, go for it!"

The dragon leapt forward and licked eagerly at the sparkling energy. Suddenly -  ta da - the stasis field collapsed and the gold ring was within reach.

Smug licked his lips, burped loudly and his scales began to glow with excitement.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:37:58 AM by Lady Ty »

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2015, 04:14:08 PM »
Macho Pierre Blanc tasted Henry's concoction and looked pensive at Gordy Ramsbum, then eyed Henry.
"This is the most tasteless turd I ever ate!" He screamed.
Henry shrank down to the size of a mouse and Gordy stared him down with eyes of hate.
"...This means, we have a winner! Ladies and gentlemen!"
A big boom and confetti all around, Macho Pierre Blanc shook Henry's hand.
"Thank you so much! All that judging and people try to do their best and all I get is good food. But finally, finally I get someone whose cooking is so abominable. Thank god, I needed that, you win."
Henry blinked in disbelief. "What?!"
But he was already pushed ahead to the stage.
"We present you with this wonderful First Emperor Chef King Initial Nouveau Gastronomie Contest knife and a great prize behind these locked doors. A ring of great power."
Henry, still taken aback, took the knife and pocketed it with his other shinies, then he reluctantly opened the double doors and came upon a dragon licking a ball of fire.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
Posted before I read Birthday Cycle and The Downfall, but worth a smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Doc or Jaymack, The Great God Atku sent out heralds into all the lands, summoning his mighty warriors...........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQev3UoGp2M
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:41:02 AM by Lady_Ty »