August 13, 2020, 05:53:32 PM

Author Topic: RPG 2015: Getting Closer  (Read 30093 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
RPG 2015: Getting Closer
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
No, it wasn't winter that was coming. It was Atku.

He looked across his domain, sipping fruit parfait from a cup and cackling madly to himself. "Sire, we found the Doctor and his companions." A young kid, barely old enough to grow stubs on his forehead, shambled forward to the throne of his Great Atku.

The Goat God stopped his slirping and stared. "And? Is he here?"

"He is not in your dungeon, no." The young boy bowed his head.

"Why not?" He already knew where this was going.

"Because the agents that were sent to capture him, well." The kid lowered his eyes. Such young eyes. So beautiful. "Well-I am not worthy, sire. I cannot-"

"What happened to them?"

The young one swallowed hard and said, "They're dead."

Ah. "Well then, send some more. We have plenty of acolytes to dispose of." He narrowed his gaze at the servant. Such beautiful hooves, too. Such a shame. "We have you. Now go. I do not like to be disappointed."

"Yes, sire." Billy Goat Gruff's younger brother bowed deeper and averted his gaze from the throne.

"And do not return without the Doctor's head!"

Yes, Atku was coming. Another distraction was well into motion. He bleated into the starlight. Cackled manically. Head thrown back. It was going to be a good show. Yes, yes it was.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:39:23 PM by Doctor Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
Re: RPG 2015: Getting Closer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »
The group gathered in Scarlet's hotel room to decide on a plan for that night. JayMack was nursing a horrendous hang over, and desperately trying to refrain from making his companions have to roll a D4 dice.  The Captain was nursing a blow to his ego, turns out the Waitress had decided to be entertained by Waka in his room last night.  Even worse, Waka kept looking over and winking.  He had showed him a grainy video he had shot on his phone  in which Waka and the waitress had done finger painting and trampolined on his bed.  (And sadly none of these were euphemisms.)  "Thar she blows!" the captain mournfully muttered for the umpteenth time that morning. 
"So what was all that about a ring then?"  asked Henry. 
"Seems it was just a distraction.  Our real goal is now to retrieve the talisman, but it won't be easy.  And the prophecy suggests that the forces of the goat will attempt to distract us with various nefarious attacks," explained the Doc. 
"Now," said Scarlet, "Last time we entered the library to find scrolls which reveal what the talisman is and where it might be found, the goat's agent, enchanter Tim waylaid us.  Now we have a second opportunity tonight to enter the library, while the rest of the palace is attending the Barry Manilow concert, but our intelligence suggests that the Vampire Court will be in attendance."
"And that Barry Manilow himself might be the chief vampire," added the Doc.
"LIES!" screamed JayMack.  "The Manilow is no vampire.  You are just jealous of his talent."
"Sorry," soothed Scarlet, "But it's what out intelligence is telling us."
Bob showed JayMack a cardboard box with INTELLIGENCE scrawled on the front, and a flashing light bulb and rudimentary circuit and battery sellotaped inside. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:51:24 PM by Nighteyes »
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:45 PM »
Bob was our Chief Intelligence Analyst , if you didn't know.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:02:11 PM by Doctor Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »
It was odd. JayMack kept trying to remember why he was such a fan of the Manilow's, and how he knew all the songs. When he'd grown up in the North, he'd heard the occasional bard, saga, ballad and bawdy tune. But this Nine Sevendes music was foreign to him. But, he knew it all!  How was that possible.

Everyone wonders sometimes whether they are actually insane and the rest of the world is normal, or whether the rest of the world is insane, and themselves are the normal ones. Whatever the case JayMack suspect the Goat. Could Atku have planted Manilow's worship in JayMack's mind? And if that, what else might the damn Horned One have done to the little king?

He took another slug of a pink chalky mixture they sold in the hotel gift shop. Strange that no one was manning the front desk. And JayMack could have sworn that was blood he'd tracked through the hallways after picking up the pink stuff downstairs.

Life was just so complicated.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:32 PM »
A small imp watched JayMack from a nearby flowerpot.  He wasn't imagining it, JayMack was resisting the conditioning.  He radioed hq. "Billy goat gruff come in," he whispered. "Subject is resisting conditioning."
"Blast him with more Manilow then!," came the response. "Subject MUST be conditioned to love the Manilow unconditionally. Or tonight is a bust."
"Roger that," replied the imp.  How was he going to expose JayMack to more Manilow before he broke the conditioning?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
Kassin encountered an imp behind a flowerpot.
Now that looked tasty. Om. Nom. Gone.
What was left was a little speaker yelling. "Hello? Hello! Come in!"

The gleems came upon a small speaker. "Hellooooo?" They squeeked.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
In a nearby crypt, Tom Jones was stirring.  He ran through some vocal exercises, and then drank the decaffinated blood his minions had bought.
"Are we sure that forming an alliance with the Black Court is in our best interests?" he said to the nearest minion.  "Barry Manilow has promised me a cure to impotence, but I am not convinced that serving Atku is in my best interest."
"All he wants is you to not sing to ensure that JayMack remains in his throes and he can turn him," explained a particularly cute minion with one eye in his high pitch squeaky voice. (For convenience sake I have transcribed his speech.)
"Hmmmm. But I am Tom Jones and I became undead so I can sing the songs of the valleys for eternity."
"But one chorus of Deliah and the conditioning breaks and JayMack and his allies will be able to strike Barry Manilow down."
"Blessed Velma the Virgin Velicoraptor. If this JayMack could just give me the cure for impotence and I will happily let him slay that damned Barry Manilow of the Black Court."
"But Barry Manilow says only he has your cure!"
In the dark corners of the crypt a group of gleams frantically signalled between themselves.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
Morning came sure enough, and with it birds chirping to "The Bright Side of Life." "Seems Tiny Tim had one last joke in that pack of magicks." Jaymack rubbed his head and groaned on the floorboards. "Just remind me not to bet against Henry again."

The master thief was polishing his monocle, and had a devilish grin on his face. "Hah, I think rightly so!"

"Can somewhere hit the jukebox, though, and turn us on some Manilow?" The old king rose with a creak and staggered over to the nearest table. The legs buckled underneath him. He let out another moan. "Manilow? Somebody?"

Henry tsked. "That's what you get for thinking you could cheat your way out of a drinking contest."

If only Billy Goat Gruff could've informed Atku about this.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:59 PM »
An bellhop walked into the room and gave JayMack an ipod Nano. "Thanks," muttered JayMack desperately popping the ear phones into his ears. Barry Manilow was becoming like crack for him. And he just couldn't remember why. Slightly curiously the bellhop appeared to have hoofs. That couldn't be right. He sighed, must be the hang over. He lost himself in the dulcet tones of Barry.

The rest of the crew realising JayMack was now lost in his music, continued plotting. They decided that Bob, the Captain, JayMack, Henry, the A.R. bros, Waka, Kasian would distract the vampires by getting a mosh pit going at the front of the concert, and would all have wooden stakes hidden on their person, whilst the Doc and Scarlet would sneak into the library using the secret passageways that Doc discovered last time.  Ogg planned to cooked a big cake and have any character that I had forgotten to name hidden inside with stakes. Just Henry queried whether you might have a moshpit at a Manilow concert but was overuled by the rest who told him that every gig had a moshpit.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 02:25:28 AM »
Oggy set to work baking the cake while Bob tinkered with his flying machine. Now he'd have to fit too many people in his cardboard box, adjust the loopty-doo and pie catapults, but it was a necessary evil. It was to beat evil, for goodness sake!

Justin the shadow volunteered to hide in the cake while she was putting the finishing touches on it, and just as the rest of the group was wrapping up their plans.

"Alright, we enter HERE, HERE, and THERE." The entrances were appropriately marked with big red circles and arrows. "Any questions?"

Kassin raised his hand. "What's a mosh pit?"

"Henry, show him."

"But that's terribly ungentleman like."

"Do it anyway, ya loon," Cap barked. The thief shoved Kassin over his chair and made the alien stumble over to the ground. However, with wings come perks, and the next second Henry was flying out the front door and to greener pastures.

"Damn, well know we need to wait for him to return." Doc shook his head. Another set back.

But Cap offered, "We really don't."

"Unfortunately, we do. He's the only one who can fly Bob's Burgers out of here." Yes, Bob did not have his pilot's license, and the master thief had learned from Amelia Airheart herself. Her disappearance was his first attempt at vanishing acts, and what proved to be a short career in magic. Oh well.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 06:53:57 AM »
Henry landed on a stall in the marketplace that had been erected in the Palace courtyard. He pacified the market trader by buying an over priced Barry Manilow T Shirt that he figured JayMack might like. SUDDENLY, a group of gleam appeared in front of his face.
"Tom Jones is a vampire and will join forces with us to fight vampire Barry Manilow, breaking JayMack's conditioning, if we just find him a cure for impotence?" Henry gleamed from the Gleams' flashing. Turns out that course in Gleam 101 at Thief School had turned out to be useful. (And people said he just took it to hit on hot gleam girls.) "Hmmm, I know a fellow called Conan who might be able to help us with that!"
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:44 AM »
Conan was a gentleman of different sorts. The kind that had bulging muscles and twelve packs hidden underneath his bowtie. Henry had led the group to his manse in Barreltown.
"Why are we here again?" Justin voiced.
Henry flashed the group a smile.
"Just extending an invitation for the concert to an old friend of mine."
The door in front of them crashed down as Conan the gentleman let out a battlecry.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
Conan the Gentleman was dressed in a tuxedo and spats, because he'd been planning to go to the Manilow concert, even though he thought a fight might break out between the warring factions of the Court. Well, especially because of the chance a fight might break out. He'd grown a little bored since his stint as governor of Colleyforna had ended.

"I thay chapth," he said," what's all the futh?"

Henry explained about the need for a cure for impotence.

Conan was immediately intrigued at the idea and led the group on a rigorous walk to the local zoo. "There is nothing tho good as rhinotherous horn for someone whatth got the blues in hith peckery!"

The enormous, muscle-bound gentlemen strode up to the rhino's cage and with one heave of his rippling frame tore the bars down. An enormouth, I mean, an enormous rhinocerous stared the group down, steam coming out of its ears. Conan didn't wait for the thing to charge, but charged instead himself. With a roar of "By Crom!" which he preferred over "By Isuss!!" because it had no "s" sounds, the Gentleman tackled the huge monster and pinned it head to the earth. Then he pulled a pocket horn grinder from his pocket (Only $19.99 in 55 easy installments! Call now, our operators are standing by!") and proceded to grind the creatures deadly horn down to a nubbin.

Conan rose from this amazing feat and passed half of the powder to Henry.

"I'm keeping one for mythelf," he said. "You jutht never know when it'll be that nethethary evil."

Henry begged the amazing Gentleman to come with them to the concert and help them face down the vampires.

"Already have a ticket, don't you know." Conan waved a golden ticket at them. "Wouldn't mith thith for the world."
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
At long last the night of the concert had come.
The cake was set up to be delivered with Justin inside and the others had taken their positions at key locations: the deejay set (lots of electronics), the bar (with lots of smashable bottles) , the food tables with many tasty things ("coo" said one gleam, "kies" said the other in delight.), the middle of the dance floor where there would soon be many vampires (scary) and the exit (where all the bored people and smokers would be).

---------
pick your spots people ;)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
"No Doc, you can't chat with the smokers. Cmon!"

He groaned and mumbled something about, "Women."