December 11, 2019, 01:29:30 PM

Author Topic: RPG 2015: Chill's Recruiting Thread  (Read 14503 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
RPG 2015: Chill's Recruiting Thread
« on: May 24, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
The sun was setting over the great city of Fantasia, and out in the countryside there stood a church. Under that white washed building’s umbrage was grass grown ankle high. A hired hand was hard to come by nowadays, what with these lands in a quiet turmoil. Yes, the Realm was prosperous. The Five Principalities flourishing with idea and innovation, trading technology and theory just as much as coin or books. But inside those walls not just smoke escaped.

Whispers did. To far away.

Tucked in the folds of a letter was one murmur, crumpled in the hand of a trench coat man standing outside. He was gazing toward the bay and the gray walls of a peace that had long overstayed its welcome.

“Such a beautiful sunset,” the woman beside him remarked, gazing at its glorious orange hue. She was fitted in all crimson. “So fitting.”

A gale brushed through the blades and flapped their coat tails and skirt. She shivered without warm leather. But the man’s words were colder. “Been a long time.”

They sounded empty. “Only three years.”

“Three years can do many a things.”

She nodded and glanced at him; turned away when he kept his gaze on the sea and city. “Why’d you call for me?” came the eventuality. But he knew. His answer was written in that letter, and it told no lies. Reassurance, however, can be the best medicine for worry.

For reluctance, too. “You know why.”

“I do.”

The city of Fantasia was bubbling underneath. Far in the East, the nation had not only picked up spices but a prophet. He spoke of Atku, of a freedom far more reaching than the one that High Dragon Saphira or the Kingdom had ever offered. The Prelate said that the Broken Empire was not to be feared. That it was merely a shattered sea, a 75K journey of nothingness. Discontent walked the streets and a missing heir only made matters worse.

“The city’s in disarray,” the wizard whispered to him. “It needs healing more than anything, and you’re a doctor last I heard.”

“I can’t give it what it needs.” From the hill up here, you wouldn’t be able to see the seams coming undone from its stitches. But a gun swinger has to have a keen eye, and an even keener understanding of things. “I failed once. I’d rather not fail again.” He looked down at his palm, stained blue with a memory. A memory of loss. Of an old friend gone, too.

“You’re not a failure.” She tried to catch his gaze, but even she knew what had transpired on that island. He was right. “Look, I have a map of the temple. I have a team ready. All I need is for them to hurry toward this forgotten church and to scour an old tower.”

“Then why’d you need me?” No bitterness there, though. A smile crept onto the edge of his lips. Always the planner, her.

She mirrored with a devilish grin. “I need a hero.”

His face quickly soured. “I’m no hero; I’m a professional.”

Scarlett looped her hands together. “That may be, but-“ A thunderclap stopped her midsentence. Sent a spike of curiosity in her gaze. A war was coming, yes. One rife with names and sounds and charges, but not yet. There was a problem.

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky.

Doctor Chill sighed and slipped the letter back in his pocket. He wasn’t going to worry. “Best be on our way.”

Wind was picking up off the east. Best, indeed.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: RPG 2015: Chill's Recruiting Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:10:29 PM »
Scarlet smiled, though internally she was a bit annoyed - the Doc kept misspelling her name, she could hear the extra t in his lips. Nevermind, he needed her, and that was the key thing.

'It seems my graduation to full Wizard was useful. I just *know* you are the hero I need.
Now I just need to complete my alchemical studies, and we'll be able to have all the gold we'll ever need'

That was useful, thought Doc. Just another of the reasons he had called for her. That, and her willingness to spy 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 10:29:19 PM »
A gruff, resonating laugh interrupted the conversation of the young squirrel hunter and trainee alchemist. They looked over and saw a tall figure dressed in a raggedy old overcoat pissing against a tombstone.

"Stop that right now! Have you no respect for the dead!" snapped Scarlett.

The grizzled man laughed some more but after just a couple of more squirts, he fiddled with his breaches and then turned around offering his hand. Scarlet chose to ignore it, but being well brought up dropped a brief curtsey.  The Doc on the otherhand groaned, and spat on the grass beneath his feet.

"The god be damned! I heard you had been hanged! Seems I will never escape you," he groaned.

The pirate laughed and then handed over a filthy looking piece of parchment.

"The black spot!" moaned the Doc and dropped to the ground running his hands through his hair.

"Stop being such a pansy!" the pirate barked. "Tis for me. But you are gonna help me kill the blighters who served it to me before they kill me. I have escape the noose, I can sure escape the bleeding black spot!"

"Language!" sniffed Scarlet.  "My darling Doc would never have anything to do with the likes of you!"

With that the Doc turned pale. "Actually darling, me and the cap here used to sail together."

"How could you!" screamed Scarlet and turned and slapped the Doc before running off towards the town.

The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
Seems Scarlet had disappeared to who knows where. Doc shrugged and motioned for him and the Cap to go inside that old church. They needed to talk. The grizzled old pirate might’ve been summoned by them, but right now a smell was summoning from his undergarments. And Doc wanted them all in tip-top shape. Even the old captain.

“Let me look at that rot,” Doc mumbled inside the dusty sanctuary. Don’t know why Scarlet had chosen this place of all places. “Go sit on one of those pews.”

The Cap fell through some moldy wood on his first try. Grumbled and wiped his bum. “Any more scratches?” the doc groaned.

Old captain scratched his butt again and said, “None that you’ll be looking at deary!”

“Whatever. Take off your shirt and let me get that wound cleaned.”

The linen was hesitant to come off, sticky with sweat and salt. His torso was snaked in tattoos of all kinds, bringing back memories. Memories of a much cleaner captain, if Doc remembered correctly. But then, time was getting to him. Too much magic had scrubbed his brain raw, he noted, as he ran a hand over the crusted cut on the Cap’s side. Pirate winced.

“Got any alcohol? Any rum, perchance?”

The seaman shook his head. “Made it out of there with only me hide and me wits. Think I would be here if I’d had a bottle of scotch on hand?”

Doc shrugged his shoulders. “Just askin’.” And so he went to shaving off the excess gruff and pus with his knife. “What about any weapons?”

“You deaf?”

“No. And you’re not dumb. Hiding them out there somewhere, in case things had went south? Or north?”

Captain grunted. ‘Bout as much as he was getting out of that old seadog. Doc set to scouring the closet for communion while the Cap’s mood soured further.

“Tell me where we can find those people that summoned you. Gotta head to a Tower, Scarlet said. And then a Temple of Atku’s. Hope you’re on the way.”

Cap grumbled something under his breath, but didn’t elaborate. Perhaps, “You bet my wet willy I’ll be on your way.” But Doc couldn’t verify that. Only slipped out of the musty closet with a bottle of red wine more sour than the captain now.

Set to cleaning the wound further.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
Suddenly the captain grabbed the Doc's arm. "Aktu, did you say Doc?" the captain asked. "You wet your breeches when you met Cthulu!" The old pirate began laughing before breaking out in a fit of coughs. He grabbed the bottle of wine and before the Doc could stop him began glugging it down.
"What can you tell me of Aktu?" the Doc desperately asked. But too late. The bottle had dropped from the pirate's hands and the captain's head dropped back, and a eruption of snores broke out.

The Doc picked up the bottle and proceeded to drain the last few dregs from it.  Meanwhile unnoticed a ghostly face watched them both from a window.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Atku God of Goats

• Tribute
  • Charged with the power of elemental cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
I look through the window of the abandoned church at the physician-cowboy and the ancient pirate. I thank the fates that I can't smell them from here.

Poor, pathetic heroes. They think a God won't know their plans.

I turn sideways into the ultra verse and emerge in the North to spy on my chosen band.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
Just before the goat can slip through the ultra-verse he feels a pair of hands grab him. The goat desperately kicks out but the hands are too quick and have tied ropes around his legs. A sack slips over his head. The goat can hear a French voice. "I voz just 'ere to spy on my old rival but I have found a new amour. Come my petit cherie. Monsewer Charlie vill give you a night to remember!"

The goat starts shaking. He bleats out curse after curse as the night proceeds but it is to no avail.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
There was a whisper in the window, he swore it. Sounded French and suitably crazy. Like two goats banging baguettes on the street corner whilst painting. Or something cultured and all that jazz. Oh well. Doc took another swig of the wine, found it empty, and went to scour the closet for more.

Maybe Scarlet would return by the time he had finished his second bottle. Or somebody new to make his acquaintance.

Just so long as they didn't wake up the captain, he would be fine with them.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »
Scarlet felt annoyed.
Again.
Someone had passed through her barriers and made her act like a silly girl - slapping a man? Saying 'how could you'? Running away in spite?
And worse, the influence seemed to have lasted quite a long time, and seriously affected her sleep: 10 hours today, and a headache at the end? And then there was this very strange thought in her brain that she couldn't understand, the words "thank god this is a bank holiday" - what the hell is a bank? This was a powerful feeling, nothing but a strange god could have caused it.

She returned as quickly as she managed to the protection of that abandoned church she had found on Google Maps (again! what were these strange words that kept showing up?)

'Doc! Doc! Are you still here?'

He was slumped by the end of the pier but thankfully still awake. And thankfully too the old pirate was still snoring - enough to make the closest wall tapestries move slightly. And the smell... eeek!
She quickly explained to Doc all that had happened.

'A strange god, did you say?' He started remembering...

'Wait, that's not all! Don't go into a trance yet!
I tried infiltrating Jaymack's castle as you suggested, but I couldn't find anything. Well, except that he doesn't seem to have anything but a small dragon - so your assumption that he's being led by a goat must be wrong, since we all know goats and dragons don't mix. That's what my books say, so they *must* be right!'
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:53:37 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 05:10:42 PM »
"Wait, a what?!"

The Captain grumbled at the outburst, but turned around in his pew and scratched his butt. Chill lowered his voice.

"There's a dragon with him? A Smauglette, you said? Why, I need to stop having hunches, and you seeing if they're true."

Scarlet rolled her eyes. "Yes, the twenty other hunches I visited were full of plenty to tell you about."

"So a dragon in the Northern Hall is all you found of importance?" He pinched the bridge of his nose and snorted. "Could be worse. We could be without a hobbit or a dwarf to save us from it." Doc passed a sharp glare at her.

She put her hands up. "One of my agents might be; you don't know."

"Intelligence is key, I've learned on many a journeys, but please Scarlet, don't go running off on my wild hunches. Magic can't save you from everything."

She flicked her hair and presented a grin. "Isn't that the only reason you keep me around?"

Captain answered for him. "Only reason I keep you around is for your golden arse cheeks."

"Shut it, Cap," Doc finished.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:14:45 PM by Doctor Chill »

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:55 AM »
Rain had finally settled in. Perhaps that rumble had been storm clouds. But by the twist in his gut and the long stare Scarlet gave the stained glass window, he wasn't so sure of that.

"Gonna make a trek into that ole fishing village tomorrow morning."

"Gonna need an Ark for that trip," Scarlet quipped. "Just make sure that mangy beast doesn't get a hold of it. Liable to crash it into the rocks."

"Never crashed in me life," the pirate grumbled on his pew. "Well, there was that incident with the sirens. Ah, the indecent incident."

"No time for your poetry, Cap," Doc told him. He withdrew his pistol. "I hear a ghost. Sounds like it's coming from under the altar." He sniffed the air and blanched. "Smells like a wet goat. You fart?"

"Not on this pew," he giggled and let one loose. "Caught me."

Scarlet rolled her eyes again, but Doc's outstretched hand stopped her. Silenced the room. Then the bleating came, like a roll of thunder down a hill of wet cabbage. It was a roaring garbled mess, growing louder and louder with each step. But when he came to the stone altar, he found nothing. Nothing but a whisper tucked in the alcove below, of light mandolins.

Doc rubbed his head. He was definitely losing it at this late hour. "Need to lay off the bottle."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:05:47 AM by Doctor Chill »

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
But Doc hadn't heard entirely wrong.

"Forgive me my eavesdropping," said a man dressed and hooded in dark brown monk robes as he emerged from a decayed doorway behind the altar, "but as you all are trespassing in my church, I think that my transgression pales in comparison to yours." The man paused, leaning lightly on his walking stick. He studied the trio for a moment. They looked surprised and remained silent, so he continued, "I heard you spoke of Atku. Has the goat-god revealed himself?"

Doc readied his pistol, eying the stranger intently. "What do you know about Atku? Who are you?"

Scarlet stepped in front of the gunman, scowling at him as she passed. "We are so sorry", she said to the stranger. "We thought this place was abandoned."

"I suppose I should say this WAS my church or, better yet, that I was a priest here", the man recanted as Scarlet's apologetic smile thawed his cold and sombre exterior just a little. "Don't remember how long ago that was."

The man walked closer to the others, his metallic cane clanging to the stone floor with every other step, even though he did not seem to put any weight on it. He removed his hood, exposing his bald head and his face that looked younger than his voice and speech had implied. "My name is Arthur Reuel Cane, A.R. for short, a former priest and a long time vagabond."

Scarlet curtsied. "I'm Scarlet and this is Doc", she said, pausing before pointing at the slumbering pirate, "and that one there is... inconsequential."

A.R. nodded, but Doc was still suspicious about the newcomer. "What do you know about Atku?" the gunman reiterated.

"Next to nothing I'm afraid. But when I was still a priest, some old tomes came in to my possession. One of them contained a short prophesy which spoke of Atku, the God of Goats, and how he would defeat the other deities and conquer the world. That is all I can remember." A.R. sighed and shook his head as he continued, "Back then I studied those tomes intently. The were spell on their pages, old dark magic, and I was young and foolish enough to try to master them. It went all wrong. One of the spells was too powerful, and because of it some people from my congregation died. They died... because of me. I was too curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat", the pirate mumbled from the pews.

"In my case... it is the cat that does the killing." For a fleeting moment, as A.R. said that, his yellowish green eyes glinted in the gloom of the church and his pupils narrowed into vertical ovals. The pries shook his head again, staring at the floor. "I'm sorry. The spell tomes put a beast inside me, and at times I have trouble controlling it. I have traveled far to find a way to escape from this curse, but sadly I only found these glyphs to help me keep it in check", he said, opening his robes just enough that the others could see lines of strange text tattooed all over his torso. "But if you are going against Atku and his minions, and if you will have me, I would gladly help you rid this false god from this world."

Maybe I will even find my own God again in the process.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:21:01 AM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »
Scarlet stumbled.
That strange spell was still affecting her, but she was fighting through it - damt it, she would fight until the end to get her real life back! And if it meant spying and putting up with strange pirates, she would still do it - at least she did like Doc, he was a very agreeable young man with a great future ahead of him.

'So Doc, fishing village tomorrow, is it? And just what exactly am I supposed to find?
Are we all going?'

Doc shrugged 'that's still to be decided'

'I could always go back to Jaymack's castle, see what's happening. I've heard rumours of a great cook joining forces with him.'

A.R. smiled for the first time 'Cake? Can you bring cake?'

'Hmmm I can hardly ask for something for the road and...'

'I always have one extra for the road... or 2... or 5...' mumbles could be heard from the pirate's corner...

'Oh just shut up! Be useful or stay quiet' Gawd she was in a mood today! 'So, I'm off to the castle. In the meantime, try to remember some more about Aktu - his weaknesses, what he likes, anything that we can think to use against him'

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »
There was a ear shattering loud burp, the resonance of which caused the pews to begin shaking, and a statue of the Velma the Virgin Velociraptor  to nearly crash to the floor, only to be caught by A.R.  A.R. dabbed one finger to his mouth which he kissed, before dabbing the finger to the statue's head, and replacing it. 
The ancient pirate was standing in front of them, with a bottle of rum which had mysteriously appeared in his hand. "A.R.!  As I live and breath!  Never thoughts I'd see you again, and still full of staggering bullshit!"the pirate bellowed in a jovial voice. "How could you have once served in this 'ere church? Tis only been here around 3 months I'd say."
"Excuse me?" spluttered Scarlet. "This church is ancient ...."
"Look up at the ceiling darling," the pirate interrupted her.
Scarlet looked up at the ceiling, which like the roofs of most churches resembled an upturned boat.  Though most church roofs didn't have masts hanging down from them.  And was that?  Yes it was.  A upturned flag mast could be seen still flying a Jolly Roger.
"This church... it conceals The Schmoking Dutchman, your infamous ship,the one that fought Cthlulu," Scarlet breathed in amazement. 
"And talking of old friends," the pirate smirked.  "Remember Charlemagne, Doc?"
The Doc turned ashen face to the doorway, where a disheveled French nobleman stood. 
"I thought you were dead!  I saw Cthlulu devour your body." the Doc screamed.  "I mourned you. I moved on!"
Tears were running down his face. 
"Cthlulu devoured him for sure," the pirate muttered.  "But is was not his body he devoured, it was his soul.  That there creature is not Charlemagne now, but instead his husk of a body has been possessed by another."
The creature that was once Charlemagne stood there grinning, and gyrating his hips. "Nice goat, precious goat. Come here goaty!"  he muttered gleefully under his breath. 
"Goat?" A.R. muttered, "Oh shit!  What is that creature talking about?"
"Atku must have revealed himself to him, but what is he doing with his hips?  What did he do to Atku?" Scarlet whispered. 
"Atku must know where we are, and judging by that look on Monsewer Arsewipe's face, he is going to be mightily angrily with us for whatever depraved French things he did to Atku," shouted the pirate.  "Quick pull on that lecturn, Doc.  It will transform this church back into my boat!"
But the Doc was just standing there.  Transfixed by the figure of Charlesmagne.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Atku God of Goats

• Tribute
  • Charged with the power of elemental cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
Atku hovered in the darkness, equally terrified by the Frenchman. Every body part hurt. What was that quote? "Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain." Well, stupidity, and evil Cthulhu-possessed Frenchmen.

But the Great Goat had a mission. He silently drifter forward and slipped a glowing, blue diamond into Chill's medicine kit. The Dragon Diamond, oh yea. Supposedly the key to finding the lost temple. Well, maybe just the key to setting these teams of heroes against each other.

Warily eyeing the Frenchman, Atku turned sideways into the ultraverse once again and arrived unscathed in his mountainside lair.