November 16, 2018, 06:18:28 PM

Author Topic: The Traitor God, part 5 - chapters 27 to 35  (Read 1944 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
The Traitor God, part 5 - chapters 27 to 35
« on: June 05, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
Please add your comments about chapters 27 to 35 here.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:07:01 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: The Traitor God, part 5 - chapters 27 to 35
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
And finished! Stayed up too late, and the. For some odd reason, Mrs. JMack and I woke at 3:30 am and couldn’t get back to sleeep. Unrelated, but weird.

Anyway, YEAH! @CameronJohnston,that was a freaking awesome last third of the book. Oh, sure,quibbles, but who cares when the roller coaster is rockin!

I’ll post more later.  Maybe. Because awesome fun needs no great critiquing.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »
That was quick!!! Glad you enjoyed it, quibbles and all ;)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Peat

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »
Finished. Slightly sad that the investigation ended fast in favour of more mayhem and that the best characters don't seem likely to appear in any sequels.

But still enjoyed myself a lot. Voice was great. Reminded me of Polansky, but better to my tastes, as there was more levity and joie de vivre to it. All the individual scenes well balance. I could poke at the pacing if so inclined, but not today. Not unless someone else wants to start. Best of all...

I'm now ready to interview Cam. Bet you'll never guess what my first question will be...  8)
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
(no not finished yet, but I'll write this down now. I couldn't finish because I had to get back to work, I was reading on my lunch break)

How amazing is the titan, eh? :D And fighting a big massive blob of goo, it's all out of a big imagination 8)

Something that didn't quite connect: why was Eva surprised when she saw Harailt? At that point in time everyone already knew he was the baddie, no?

Edit:
Finished!
Wow, what a battle! Even though I like grimdark, it was a bit too visceral at times, for me, hehe
I really liked what the secret was!
I wonder what will happen to Edrin now...

I really enjoyed that it's both a contained book and that it leaves enough open issues for the next one :)

Well done, @CameronJohnston  :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:10:12 AM by ScarletBea »

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »

I really enjoyed that it's both a contained book and that it leaves enough open issues for the next one :)

Well done, @CameronJohnston  :D

I really dislike books in a series that just...stop, without a satisfying conclusion until the next is out in a year. There should always be SOME kind of conclusion, character arc, plot or otherwise at the end of a novel in my opinion.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:20:50 AM »
And if anybody is interested, Mirror Dance magazine have recently reprinted the short story that started it all: Head Games, my experiment with writing 1st person point of view that, well, kept going and turned into a novel.
http://www.mirrordancefantasy.com/2018/06/head-games.html

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »
I submitted an amazon review :)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 02:34:53 AM »
I just read chapter 32.

That was just disgusting.  The puddles of fat... ew. Don't read this one while eating!

Ok, it's really hard to put down... gaaaahhhh I think I'm gonna read on instead of doing my work!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 05:44:47 AM »
Ok all finished!  That was exciting! OMG that part where he... to his own... gggaaaahhhhh!

I loved the corvun thing at the end (lady night? Maybe I missed the foreshadowing to interpret the association) and I think my favorite line of the book was "The streets were dead; not just quiet, actually dead. Corpses of cats..." There were moments in the climax where I thought of City of Stairs and City of Blades (perhaps b/c I've read them recently) with the mystery winding up to the god-battle. There were some things Bennett did better, but there were other things I think Cam did better.  What struck me about this book was how genuinely intimidating that final battle felt-- the god felt really... god-powered.  With Bennett the tension sort of gets shunted into a surreal LSD trip.  I liked the teeth-grinding tension of confronting that degree of power.

As a whole, the take on magic was really unique, mostly because of it's physicality.  That was sort of theme throughout the book, to the point that I would actually put this in the genre of "body horror"  I really can't handle body horror in movies (I nope the hell out of them), but apparently I'm a-okay with it in books... it's still unsettling, but in a way that doesn't overwhelm me.  The other thing I usually nope out of is alien hellscapes... idk it just creeps me out too much.  So I'm secretly glad we didn't go into the Far Realms.

Other things I really liked: Charra. Her character was 100% my favorite part of the book. Nathair. Everything about him just made sense and I loved the juxtaposition of his physical form with his awesome power.

Quibbles (I had two):

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Byzant reveal.  It makes sense that he would become the hooded god, but the whole thing where he was able to change Walker's personality...  If he was secretly a tyrant then sure it would be believable, but were smack-dab in the middle of a scene where a frigging god is getting outmatched by being inside a tyrant's head. Even with the inexperience, it's not set up as being something that non-tyrants can ever do, and even though it's described as rudimentary, there doesn't seem anything rudimentary about changing someone's entire personality and replacing specific memories, if anything that's more sophisticated than anything we've seen Walker do in the whole book. Plus Walker feels like a victim a lot throughout the book, and nahair reveling in his betrayal just kind of oversaturated the victim narrative for me (maybe a Mary Martyr instead of a Mary Sue?).

The Skallgrim invasion of Iron Port/Pacing.  The book is very fast in the beginning, idk if that's the reason but I sort of felt like, for whatever reason, the significance and the severity of the invasion at Ironport didn't really register.   

And finally-- I hope we get a humanized account of the Skallgrim in the next book! I'm not just saying that b/c i studied anthropology.  Oh wait, yeah, I probably am.  I also am playing Skyrim with a new character pretending to be a foresworn so you know my alliances :)

I'll eventually submit an amazon review, but rn I'm saddled with academic book reviews, and other not-fun work for like 3 months.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 08:37:52 PM »
Polished this off a few days ago and have mulled it over for a bit of time.

I enjoyed it a lot, despite finding my reading of it broken up more than I would like due to LIFE. I found the second half particularly strong and the monsters & magic visceral in all the best ways. The world building was excellent and I'd happily visit it again.

I never really warmed to the MC, sadly, which makes the fact the story and world building pulled me on even more impressive. I found Edrin irritating early on and though learning of his history helped, it didn't ever get me fully behind him.

A very solid debut and rightly nodded at for awards. Kudos, Cam.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »
To be clear - The character was very well crafted but I found his snarkiness off-putting. Very much an individual thing.