October 16, 2018, 12:46:19 AM

Author Topic: The Traitor God, part 1 - chapters 1 to 7  (Read 1557 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
The Traitor God, part 1 - chapters 1 to 7
« on: June 05, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
Please add your comments about chapters 1 to 7 here.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

Re: The Traitor God, part 1 - chapters 1 to 7
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
Huzzah! I get to christen the thread.

I'm only about 30 pages in but I immediately really liked the prose. Cynical ageing down on their luck 1st PoV narrators are my jam to begin with, but Mr Johnston's just got a nice touch in general.

Pretty straight set up for the adventure to come. Should be a nice break from my Feist-mania.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
Yeah my local bookstore said it would come on Thurs... but then they said it would be Fri, but when I went in they said it was "upstairs" and that it would need to be processed along with the 100 other books in the shipment.  But the people who do the processing don't come back to work until Monday... soooooo.... still no book for me.
But I'll be on it soon!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »
Am I really he first to reach chapter 8? Or are the rest of the readers holding back?  8)

Ok, so, this is going to have spoilers. I guess that’s understood for read-alongs, but just to be sure:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Traitor God (TG) grabs right away, then does a whole bunch of info dump. Quickly and well; but if not for the immediate action it would have been a bit unwelcome. I like the prose and the attitude. The MCis engagingand fun. The whole thing is a great romp so far, and I love the forced amnesia and mystery aspect.

One thing I particularly like is how magic is a part - not apart from - the wizard’s physical nature. In the smell, the cells, the brain. I don’t know that I’ve ever read a book that makes magic so... sweaty and basic.

Meanwhile, what is it with brothels and fantasy genre? I’m not fond of the trope and I keep running into it. I will say that it’s done well here so far.

And black, evil, soul-stealing blades that cut the hand of the wielder and beg to be fed blood? Another standard trope, and again done well, except that I don’t quite get the consistency between the horror of blood magic that our MC loathes and his willingness to use an object so blood/death-focused. That the MC found in the catacombs he doesn’t want to go into. I’ll let this play out and see we’re it goes.

Overall, TG is chockfull of interesting stuff and a fun read so far.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:02:49 PM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Meanwhile, what is it with brothels and fantasy genre? I’m not fond of the trope and I keep running into it. I will say that it’s done well here so far.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's a really good question that I've never really seen addressed - possibly deserves a thread in its own right.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 02:05:58 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's a really good question that I've never really seen addressed - possibly deserves a thread in its own right.

Done. ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:03:32 PM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Peat

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
You could always create the thread yourself leading with that post  :P I'll marshal my thoughts for said thread but for now, while there's a lot of sensible reasons for including them, there's a lot of things not included in fantasy books where there'd be sensible reasons for including them too.

I too am beyond Chapters 1 to 7 - I have to say, I'm a tad muddled by everything and vaguely wish there'd been a good old fashioned info dump - a lot of information is given, but its all woven in and it makes everything quite dense. We'll see if I think the same come the end of the book.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 11:06:17 PM »
@Peat You could always create the thread yourself leading with that post  :P

I was on my phone at the time  :P Posting was hard enough. See above   8)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 04:19:36 AM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
First impressions on these chapters are that The Traitor God is fast, fascinating and fun.

Straightaway get clear idea of impressions of Edrin Walker, definitely enhanced by the cover, but also a feeling of empathy for his character and intrigued by all the hints as to his past and his Gift-bond with Lynas. Liking the fact I can say all the names easily and all the characters, even minor ones, took shape well. The various different areas of the city were well described and easy to visualise and place in relation to each other.

Smooth enjoyable prose and appreciating  some particular phrases here and there. "..slimy grey lump of surprise meat" ". Exploded with laughter at fight on page 11. Absolutely agree just wrong. The Glaswegian insult from the Clansman " you dirty wee bawbag". ;D  "I tsk'd."  Really enjoyed seeing that written again, haven't heard it in a long time.

Appreciate the fast moving action, that is easy to follow, but have felt rather swamped with details of Arcanum and magic users and Edrin's elusive past actions, as well as a other mixed descriptions in these first chapters. Hoping most will fall into place as we get further into the story. Sorted out that the Gods are no longer apparent in their towers and are named Derrish, Lady Night, The Lord of Bone, Northair the Thief of Life, while it seems Edrin believes he killed Artha the God of War.

I am intrigued by the magic swishing around and like that residual magic in the sewers is used to feed the crops and keep the city supplied. Seems as though Dissever may become a character in itself. Now happily on to the next chapters.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 04:25:40 AM by Lady Ty »

Offline Peat

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
Dissever definitely has my favourite line of the opening chapters, that's for sure.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 11:59:28 AM »
Wow I fell way behind!

Just finished Ch 7.  I have to say my favorite thing so far is Charra.  I really like her. And now that I think about it, she's the only one Walker has had a genuine conversation with at all 7 chapters in.

The book moves fast-- explosive action from the first chapter-- my head was spinning for a moment--was it too fast?--but it definitely wasn't boring.

One thing I noticed is that Walker takes great pains not to use magic, even with daemons hunting him, or, you know, in the middle of a brutal invasion.... but then he uses it twice when it's really not necessary on people inside Charra's circle of influence: the smile gang girls on the street, and the bouncers outside her brothel.  And in both cases, he seemed to be using it to make lifelong enemies by threatening people with their secrets, a price that doesn't really seem worth the minor inconveniences he's evading. I'm not saying this is something bad about the book, I'm just saying Walker strikes me as kind of a dick and doesn't seem to make the smartest choices. I'm getting a very detective-noir vibe from him. He's got that sort of slinky threatening macho PI thing going on, and he's actually trying to solve a murder mystery! When he speaks I sort of imagine a hard-boiled grovelly 1950s detective but way better dressed. If someone asked if this was grimdark I'd be like no it's grim-noir.  (ok fantasy noir makes more sense but grim-noir is more fun to say)

I'm really looking forward to learning more about the gods, where they come from, what they are, and seeing if they deserve to die.

@Lady Ty the magic shit really stood out to me too! :) there's a lot of intriguing things to explore here.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:01:44 PM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »
(without reading the previous posts)

I finally finished chapter 7 today, and the plot is really picking up, I'm quite enjoying it.
At first I found it a bit hard to understand everything, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, hehe

I'm not sure I liked much the way of introducing worldbuilding when you're writing first person POV, but maybe that was just because it was the beginning.

I know there was lots of discussion on the other thread about brothels (and I'll read what you said here afterwards), but I thought that was a magnificent building ;D And I guessed the young woman was their daughter way before silly blind Walker ;)

Edit (after reading): yes, I really like the way magic works in this world too!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:40:02 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 06:49:21 AM »
After having an epic wrangle with my bookstore to actually lay hands on a copy, I feel very sheepish to be saying: I'm going to be setting this one aside. It is just not my thing. (Sorry, Cameron!)

But I persevered further with this book than I usually would with something that felt not-me (all the way through to the end of this first section), and I thought about it a lot more as a consequence, so I thought I might note down some of those thoughts.

Broadly, it boils down to something that I've been observing in a lot of books that have me putting them down somewhere in the first one to one-hundred pages: they're focusing on things I don't find particularly intriguing. Which is no fault of the book's; it's just written for an audience that isn't me, and I wish much joy to both them and the author. To be precise:
  • Things that interested me about the first seven chapters: the hole in Edrin's memory, the bond with Lynas, how both of those things shape him as a person; what happened with killing the god and that memory-hole; Charra; sentient murderblade.
  • Things that didn't: viking attack; Edrin dickslinging his way through the slums.
(I vividly remember the first mention of the hole in Edrin's memory being the bit where I literally sat up and was interested for the first time in reading, heh.)

But mostly, at the end of the first seven chapters, I'm quite happy to say that this looks like a rollicking revenge tale of mystery, consequences and badasses in ridiculous coats, but the character and emotional stuff has really just been tucked offhand into the nooks and crannies, and I prefer books where that stuff is more central and explored.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 10:41:01 AM »
Aw, thanks for giving it a shot @cupiscent - definitely go read something that's more you than trying to persevere!  It's such a chore when you try and force yourself.