December 06, 2019, 12:55:11 PM

Author Topic: City of Stairs:Dead language- Dangerously honest/ SECOND 20%  (Read 382 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
City of Stairs:Dead language- Dangerously honest/ SECOND 20%
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:46:33 PM »
Post your thoughts on this chapters here.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: City of Stairs:Dead language- Dangerously honest/ SECOND 20%
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
Only 30 % in but I want to talk about Sigurd

I’ve noticed a few mentions now about his supernatural talent at smelling scents , I also feel his overpowered. And what’s with the locket? Did he make a bargain like memories for power?

Also I was quite bored with Shara and Vohannes flashback to the school days.

Sigurd causing mayham at the party was fun to read but like I said a bit op for me.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:04:32 PM »
Looks like the restorationist have harvest the power from a divine to warp reality on to another reality.

Flying ships.. steampunk here we come.

Shara contact with a divine was a bit trippy.

Shara interview with Vinya I could feel the tension. Vinya one scary woman.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 09:39:41 PM »
I remember thinking of Sigrud as... like an object, more than a character. He was a magical sword that our heroine (...whose name I cannot remember. Shara?) wields to achieve her aims. In that regard, I didn't mind his overpoweredness, because it wasn't like his abilities could magically fix the problems that the book is about--those are political, and sociological, and religious and conceptual etc.

There is a lot more development of Sigrud--character and history and limitations and explorations--in the later books. I do understand your point here, I'm just noting that for me, he sat nicely within a particular role in this book.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »
I remember thinking of Sigrud as... like an object, more than a character. He was a magical sword that our heroine (...whose name I cannot remember. Shara?) wields to achieve her aims. In that regard, I didn't mind his overpoweredness, because it wasn't like his abilities could magically fix the problems that the book is about--those are political, and sociological, and religious and conceptual etc.

There is a lot more development of Sigrud--character and history and limitations and explorations--in the later books. I do understand your point here, I'm just noting that for me, he sat nicely within a particular role in this book.
What she said. And you'll get a very good reason for it in City of Miracles too.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 10:25:28 AM »
@isos81

How you getting on with the book?

Online isos81

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »
@isos81

How you getting on with the book?

@Eclipse

Halfway through second %20. I'll write about it tomorrow.

Reading a paperback book is really hard after reading countless ebooks. I'll kiss my ebook reader after I finish reading and never again buy a paperback :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online isos81

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:35:54 AM »
@Eclipse

Finished second part (reading a paper-back book is very hard, how can you that :) )

I agree with Cupiscent about Sigrud. I like OP characters :)

I always favored the idea that a God who is an overpowered being who can be killed. Otherwise, an allmight God seems paradox. I was expecting them not to be dead so the earlier they come aroung the better.

Sigrud's shock that he said "they shot me" was fun :) His killing a man with his thumbs in the man's eyes was very GoT-like (Mountain and the Viper).

BTW, if Sigrud is the lost prince, that would be a cliche, but I doubt that. I think Bennett is plotting a twist here.

I was not bored with the flashbacks. It was necessary for us to understand how Shara feels insecure around him.

Vinya is a such badass char that I love her, for now at least :)

Interrogation scene was interesting. I was not expecting that a Divinity to be held hostage or imprisoned. I thought they simply went ahead in order to avoid death. Her connection to Kaj might make her available to connect the Divinity.

Shara and Vinya converstations are always tense. I feel the tension in the air while reading :)

Overall, it was a very satisfying read. The writer is building events neatly.

Let's move on to the third part! :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Wow, we discovered so much!

I really enjoyed Shara's backstory - it could have gone wrong but I think it hit just the right note. I thought she was in her 40s, but aren't City Fathers supposed to be older? Or was Vo promoted young?

Meeting the Divinity was a wow moment, how it seems to be a prisoner somewhere. This and the fact that no-one knows how the Kaj killed the Divines, the weapon is a secret, makes me think that maybe he didn't actually kill them... Exile, perhaps?

Sigrud! A weapon by himself hehe

All the undercurrent politics with the Restorationists are quite interesting too: people who are worried about maintaining the status quo and want to return to a mythical 'glorified' time for the country.... now where have I heard this in real life? ::) ;D

I'm really enjoying this!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams