November 21, 2019, 02:48:28 PM

Author Topic: #SFFPit tomorrow, 12/8/2016, 10am-6pm EST  (Read 4442 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: #SFFPit tomorrow, 12/8/2016, 10am-6pm EST
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 04:52:48 AM »
I follow a lot of agents on twitter - partly a relic of my own agent-hunt, partly that they have heaps of interesting things to say about the industry - so every time SFFpit and PitMad and the others come around, I see heaps of them go flying past. Agents definitely do read and flag things they'd like to see (which is great for researching agent tastes as well).

That said, I have never participated in one, mostly because I had enough trouble slimming my novels down to a 250-word pitch letter, let alone getting that down to 140 characters minus hashtags. (Which is another reason that I've never been too sad not to have an opportunity to do in-person pitching. Also bus tickets from Melbourne to New York are a bit pricey. ;) ) You don't have to do things like this. All the agents who read SFFpit also accept regular old queries, and regular old queries work fine. That said, an event like this has a much quicker turnaround than a regular old query. Get feedback on your concept in under 24 hours! That beats waiting months to get feedback on your query letter summary. (Mind you, it has the same problems. Did the agents not like your concept? Or did they just not read it? What went wrong? No one knows.)

The key to a good twitter pitch is the same as the key to a good query: honing in on what makes your book unique, being specific, and making every word count. To that end, I'm loving the "(dead?) wife" in the example from @tebakutis.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »
to me, it just seems like the digital version of "the one-line elevator pitch" that every author is supposed to have at the ready just in case.

This is the thing. Being able to do this is an incredibly useful skill, not just in terms of pitching, but also because I find it helps me with how I think about the book. If keeping an entire book inside my head at the planning stages is starting to get uncomfortable, I go back to my one line pitch and things feel manageable again.

I'm also pretty terrible at coming up with them, but Save the Cat by Blake Snyder helped me get my head around the idea. (It's an excellent book in any case - it's about writing screenplays but much of it can apply to books too. Highly recommended!)
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »
Why not dig Reddit then?

Gamergate

heh.  actually, it's because the community around reddit is homogenous.  (have you ever been to a reddit meetup?  *shivver*) twitter is a pretty broad cross-section of humanity.  like facebook, but with lots of interesting people to talk to -- not just your family and friends.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 10:03:37 PM »
Half-Han Solo, half-Deadpool, Hayden Cross fights to stop an interplanetary war while relentlessly mocking everyone involved. #A #SFT #SFFpit

FYI guys, this pitch got me THREE likes this morning (WHAAAAT?) from Sam Morgan of Jabberwocky, Lindsay Mealing at Emerald City Literary Agency, and Brooks Sherman at the Bent Agency.

So holy **** did I get lucky. Even if all three pass on a full request, at least I now know how I'm going to pitch my book if I take it indie. You can never go wrong with Deadpool.

Time to throw some queries together.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 10:44:53 PM »
aside from teb's awesome deadpool one, a quick perusal of the hashtag turned up a few of the other popular tweets of the day.
https://twitter.com/search?q=sffpit

TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE meets IF I STAY. Willow can be in 2 places at once but only keeps one set of memories. #YA #SFFpit— Roxanne Lambie (@roxannelambie) December 8, 2016

That awkward moment when you realize the new duke is the guy you met when lying low - for killing the last duke. #YA #FA #SFFPit— Rosanne Rivers (@CityJuliet) December 8, 2016

#SFFpit #MG #FA Dragons vs humans. But when crippled girl joins humanity's flying warriors, a mystery unfolds. Nothing is what it seems.— Becki Fornwalt (@novelarnia) December 8, 2016

this whole thing has been awesome to watch.  i need to finish my damn book so i can do cool things like this!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 11:14:50 PM »
The last one sounds opaque and confusing, but the one in the middle seems like great banter on the author's part.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:37 PM »
I agree, Nora, "a mystery unfolds" is ultra-generic. But I'm loving that second one.

Here are some more awesome ones that seem to be gathering plenty of likes:

#YA female ROBIN HOOD & her band of merry women steal to survive in a space opera setting. #SFFpit #SO #SF For fans of KILLJOYS + FIREFLY

Celia inks tattoos for a devil. To escape her servitude, she'll need ink, lies, & the help of a mad carnival troupe. #YA #FA #DF #sffpit
(love love love that one!)

To clear her name of murder, Jameelah must master star magic—taught by the true killer. WRATH & DAWN + GIRL OF FIRE & THORNS #SFFpit #YA #FA

FROZEN + STAR WARS: Reclusive princess forgoes freedom and joins exiled rebels to stop the cyborg army invading her empire. #SFFPit #YA #SO

It's interesting that all of these that we're finding are YA. A lot of the authors who participate in online contests like this are submitting YA spec fic. Possibly because a lot of the agents who are online active (twitter, blogging, contests) are YA / spec-fic agents. Or is the causative link the other way around?

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
"Can our charming heroine avoid the rocky road to mental breakdown her author penned for her? Probably not. #ManVsWriter"
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty