August 22, 2019, 01:45:32 AM

Author Topic: #SFFPit tomorrow, 12/8/2016, 10am-6pm EST  (Read 3935 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
#SFFPit tomorrow, 12/8/2016, 10am-6pm EST
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:54 PM »
EDIT: Corrected capitalization on the hashtag

For any authors on the forums with completed SFF manuscripts that also have Twitter.

#SFFpit (like another similar idea, #PITMAD) happens twice a year on Twitter. You post a Twitter-sized summary of your completed (but unpublished) SFF book on Twitter with appropriate hashtags to classify it, found here.

http://dankoboldt.com/sffpit/#sffpit-rule-changes

You get up to 10 pitches for the whole day, and can pitch only once per hour. You can also pitch the same book more than once, but you have to word each pitch differently.

Agents will read pitches posted between 10pm-6pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) tomorrow (12/8). If they are interested in your pitch, they will "Like" it using Twitter. This is your invitation to send them a full pitch for your completed manuscript with whatever information they typically request (cover letter, synopsis, sample chapters).

As an example, here's the pitch for my espionage sci-fi book (which I'm tagging as sci-fi thriller, or SFT, since my category isn't listed).

24 meets Star Wars. A sardonic counterterrorism agent searches for his (dead?) wife while trying not to get shot by everyone. #SFT #SFFpit

If you don't include an age tag (such as #YA) they will assume your book is for an adult audience.

The #SFT tag shows my book is a sci-fi thriller.

And the #SFFpit tag flags it for agents who are reading tweets under that tag.

It's a quick and easy way to practice your pitch, summarize your book, and (possibly) get an agent to look at it who is actually excited to see it.

For those who decide to participate, good luck!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:48:36 AM by tebakutis »

Offline m3mnoch

Re: #SFFPit tomorrow, 12/8/2016, 10am-6pm EST
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:32:04 PM »
that is totally freakin' cool.

n my guest post on #PitMad numbers for Brenda Drake, I estimated that the odds of success (having your pitch favorited by an agent or editor) were around 6%.

super interesting.

i totally dig the agent-favoriting as an invitation to send manuscripts.  i'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:53:02 PM »
I find it more sad than cool. What do we get to, seriously? Tweet sized pitches? How unfair is this to people who don't have twitter anyway?

"Darkity stuff happens! #PresentTense #Depression #CannibalismIsFashionable #publishMe"

"MC with complex problems-but-sweet-personality goes full YOLO when dragon shit hits the fan #JustSFFstuff #SoundsUniqueRight?"

"Chicks discovers she's immortal and thinks it sucks, mopes and kills ghouls #BadassWithIssues #GoldenEggStoryWaitingToBePublished #NoticeMeSenpai"

Get real.

Edit, let me add this :

"Lady with Death-Eyes can see from the pov of dead people and goes rubbing elbows with the FBI and alllll the bad mofos they're after. #UselessSuperPower #PeakInTheMorgueDrawer #MentalBreakDownWaitingToHappen"

My fav.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:59:47 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:25 AM »
sure, sad i suppose.

but --

how unfair is it to people who don't have physical access to agents?

how unfair is it to people who don't have relatives in the business?

how unfair is it to people who don't have writing groups?

how unfair is it to people who don't write in english?

seems like you can either complain about fairness, or you can work as hard as you to do as many things as you can to increase your luck surface.  like you can either actively chase your dreams, or sit around waiting for them to land in your lap.

*shrug*

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
I had meant to redraft my Fantasy manuscript before submitting but might go for it anyway.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:30:43 AM »
I just think twitter is stupid in general, so nothing on it appeals to me. I'm only stupefied that it makes the Holy Pitch go from a painstakingly assembled chunk of text that is meant to explain your work intelligibly, to a single sentence. It's even harder for our genre since it means we can't explain the setting much, and any cliche word will have to be seen as cliche as it comes. But hey! Whatever works.

People who don't write in english access the publishers who speak their own language. Believe it or not, many foreign countries have a striving publishing life in their own tongue.
People who want physical access to a professional can buy a bus ticket to the closest office.
People who don't have a writing group can find one on meetup or the internet, and people who don't have the internet won't feel sorry over this argument.

I'm not interested in making a point about fairness at all, believe me. I'm just mildly irritated at another example of things getting dumbed down.
This "public access" thing could be perfectly well executed otherwise in an environment without such a word limit, and where the entire world won't have access to your pitch to make their own work out of it if they want.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Quill

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:31:12 AM »
I've never used twitter, and I don't think this will make me, but I like the idea nonetheless - anything that will give people a chance to be discovered. Also, it was kind of a fun exercise to try and write a pitch in 140 characters (though not knowing twitter, I don't know if those hashtags also count towards the character limit; if they do, I am way above 140 and also terrible at this game). This would be my pitch for an old sci-fi story I used as writing practice before going full frontal fantasy:

Humanity engulfed civil war across stars when alien enemy strikes, forcing divided families to reconcile. Yet the worst enemy lurks within.
The Eagle's Flight - Free ebook for fantasy fans at www.annalsofadal.net

Latest blog post - 7 Ways to Help Indie Authors: www.annalsofadal.net/blog

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:39:46 AM »
I just think twitter is stupid in general, so nothing on it appeals to me. I'm only stupefied that it makes the Holy Pitch go from a painstakingly assembled chunk of text that is meant to explain your work intelligibly, to a single sentence. It's even harder for our genre since it means we can't explain the setting much, and any cliche word will have to be seen as cliche as it comes. But hey! Whatever works.

People who don't write in english access the publishers who speak their own language. Believe it or not, many foreign countries have a striving publishing life in their own tongue.
People who want physical access to a professional can buy a bus ticket to the closest office.
People who don't have a writing group can find one on meetup or the internet, and people who don't have the internet won't feel sorry over this argument.

I'm not interested in making a point about fairness at all, believe me. I'm just mildly irritated at another example of things getting dumbed down.
This "public access" thing could be perfectly well executed otherwise in an environment without such a word limit, and where the entire world won't have access to your pitch to make their own work out of it if they want.

i can understand the sentiment you're rolling with, for sure.

to me, it just seems like the digital version of "the one-line elevator pitch" that every author is supposed to have at the ready just in case.

but, then again, i like twitter.  it's like a giant, chaotic conversation, where anyone can talk to anyone, all piled together in a heap.  i'm kind of a chaos-loving mess like that, tho.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:53:37 AM »
Why not dig Reddit then?

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:55 AM »

Haha, I totally see where you're coming from as well, but remember this is just one more way to pitch agents, not the only way. You can still pitch them normally and should. It's like a lightning bonus round of the "getting published" game where you can think about your book in its simplest terms and possibly get super lucky.

That's how I think about it, anyway.

I've never used twitter, and I don't think this will make me, but I like the idea nonetheless - anything that will give people a chance to be discovered. Also, it was kind of a fun exercise to try and write a pitch in 140 characters (though not knowing twitter, I don't know if those hashtags also count towards the character limit; if they do, I am way above 140 and also terrible at this game). This would be my pitch for an old sci-fi story I used as writing practice before going full frontal fantasy:

Humanity engulfed civil war across stars when alien enemy strikes, forcing divided families to reconcile. Yet the worst enemy lurks within.

Sadly, the hasttags count toward your 140 characters. It's tough!

I had meant to redraft my Fantasy manuscript before submitting but might go for it anyway.

What have you got to lose? You can still pitch these agents independently, later, when you're ready. Unless they actually Like your tweet (in which case, send it to them!) they probably won't remember it. :p

Feel free to have fun with your own books as an exercise. Here's what I've got so far (I might come up with one more, or just do these five). Remember, only 140 characters, including hashtags!

Loose Circuit
A rookie cybercop faces pro-gamers, algorithmic orgasm dealers, and the Russian mob to stop a man from hacking people's brains. #SFT #SFFpit

After his fiancé erases her own mind to save him, a reformed hacker goes corporate and discovers a plot to brainwash the world. #SFT #SFFpit

After a cybercriminal puppets people into murder, a rookie detective must stop him without revealing he's a cybercriminal, too. #SFT #SFFpit

Supremacy's Shadow
24 meets Star Wars. A sardonic counterterrorism agent searches for his (dead?) wife while trying not to get shot by everyone. #SFT #SFFpit

Half-Han Solo, half-Deadpool, Hayden Cross fights to stop an interplanetary war while relentlessly mocking everyone involved. #SFT #SFFpit

If you're bored, feel free to fool around with your own, even if you don't plan to tweet it. I think it's actually a good/fun exercise.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:49:04 AM by tebakutis »

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 01:12:11 AM »
"FBI consultant freaks out as her life becomes a fan letter to Harris' Red Dragon. #IHateMyAuthor #PleaseReviewMyCharacterArc"

"Does Immortality suck? Young immortal raised human sees all her beloved age and die. Yes immortality sucks. #NoraWritesPositiveStuff"

"Immortal gunslinger looking for a quiet life gets drawn into stuff. At least curiosity ain't ever gonna kill that cat. #NoBloodSucking #ReverseDatTrope"

"Guy gets a new phobia every day. Today it's doors, and of course he's gonna need to open a lot. #SadistWritersUnitedPresent"
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:44:01 AM by Nora »

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 01:37:12 AM »
nora.  you need a twitter account.  if only so the world can witness those hashtags.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 02:53:39 AM »
"Guy gets a new phobia every day. Today it's doors, and of course he's gonna need to open a lot. #SadistWritersUnitedPresent"

Oh my god, that's perfect.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:57 AM »

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 04:46:12 AM »

I'm going to pitch a novel about Nora writing her pitch....

"Author condenses intricate 700-page masterpiece into 140 characters on a platform for narcissistic millennials w/ environmentally-induced ADD and a penchant for misinformation."

#hashtagsareevenworse #ifyourthoughtsdontgobeyondasinglewordthatsdepressing  #literatureisdead
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:47:53 AM by Bradley Darewood »