February 18, 2020, 01:30:23 AM

Author Topic: Penguin is looking for writers (sorry, UK only)  (Read 1834 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Penguin is looking for writers (sorry, UK only)
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
I saw this on the newsletter, is anyone interested?

We want to find, mentor and publish new writers with different stories to tell. Writers from communities under-represented on the nation’s bookshelves.

Books and publishing do not reflect the society we live in. That's why we've set up WriteNow in partnership with writer development charities Spread the Word, Writing West Midlands and Commonword.

Together we will host 150 writers at one of three insight days in London (Saturday 1 October 2016), Birmingham (Saturday 26 November 2016) and Manchester (Saturday 4 February 2017). During the day you'll hear everything you need to know about getting published, from authors, literary agents and Penguin Random House staff as well as getting one-to-one feedback on your book from one of our editors.

After getting to know you and your work, we'll ask 10 exceptional writers to join our new year-long mentoring programme.  While there are no guarantees, ultimately we would love to publish these 10 writers.

More details here: http://www.write-now.live/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:45:40 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: Penguin is looking for writers
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:57:17 PM »
Just so it's clear to all who they are looking for:

•We're looking for new writers - so you won't have published a book in the last 10 years through a commercial publishing house. You also won't have a literary agent or publishing contract at the moment.

•We would love to receive applicants who are writing either fiction, non-fiction, or stories for children and young adults. Please note that we're not looking for cookery writers, graphic novelists or poets this time around.

•You'll come from a background that is currently under-represented in books and publishing. We'll ask you to tell us in your own words what this means for you. For example, you could be a writer from a socio-economically marginalised background, be a writer from BAME (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic) or LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer) communities, or have a disability.

•You'll also be at least 18 years old and resident in the UK. We'll also ask you to submit your manuscript in English.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »
Interesting. Too bad I can't do a convincing British accent.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
•We're looking for new writers - so you won't have published a book in the last 10 years through a commercial publishing house. You also won't have a literary agent or publishing contract at the moment.

yes!!

•We would love to receive applicants who are writing either fiction, non-fiction, or stories for children and young adults. Please note that we're not looking for cookery writers, graphic novelists or poets this time around.

yes!!

•You'll come from a background that is currently under-represented in books and publishing. We'll ask you to tell us in your own words what this means for you. For example, you could be a writer from a socio-economically marginalised background, be a writer from BAME (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic) or LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer) communities, or have a disability.

•You'll also be at least 18 years old and resident in the UK. We'll also ask you to submit your manuscript in English.

oh.

so, speaking as a straight, healthy, middle-aged white dude in the united states with all the standard, built-in privileges, you're saying this isn't really for me?

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:57 PM »
Humph. We'd actually qualify - I mean come on, how many books have you read which were written by dinosaurs - but we're not moving back to the UK until next year at the earliest. Hopefully they'll run it once a year...  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Amaranth

• Coreling
  • The world's a stage and I've forgotton my lines.
    • View Profile
Re: Penguin is looking for writers (sorry, UK only)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
Well, i found about this on the day of the deadline after i got in from work.

Don't think i'll stand much of a chance because I rushed the entry, but it's the first time i've sent my writing out there for someone other than my friends to read so thats a step forward at least.

Of course the bit where they ask you to answer how you meet their criteria was a bit awkward, theres just no casual way to say 'Well you asked for gay people so y'know...hello sailor.'
If less is more, just think about how much more more would be!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: Penguin is looking for writers (sorry, UK only)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »
Of course the bit where they ask you to answer how you meet their criteria was a bit awkward, theres just no casual way to say 'Well you asked for gay people so y'know...hello sailor.'

Bwahaha! That made me giggle. :)