September 21, 2019, 04:46:49 PM

Author Topic: Gollancz open to direct submissions 4th to 22th January 2016  (Read 8241 times)

Offline JRTroughton

Re: Gollancz open to direct submissions 4th to 22th January 2016
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »
More than one editor?

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 02:09:53 AM »
Could there be a second pile for later consideration? A "maybe" pile on first read, awaiting second perusal and final decision?

More than one editor?

Haha, apparently, there was an update on the AbsoluteWrite forums today where someone noticed the editors had posted (contradicting the earlier post) they were only 3/4s through their submissions. So ... eh?

I shrug and await judgment.

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 06:08:38 PM »

Haha, apparently, there was an update on the AbsoluteWrite forums today where someone noticed the editors had posted (contradicting the earlier post) they were only 3/4s through their submissions. So ... eh?

I shrug and await judgment.

There's a lot of fiction written on the Absolute write forums....

But seriously, you should start subbing Loose Circuit!!!!

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »

It's on my To-Do list! I'm going to be getting feedback from my DC writer's group on episodes 1 to 5 on May 22, then I'll be getting feedback on episodes 6-10 in late July some time. After that, it'll probably take me at least a few months to implement all the feedback.

At that point (probably around September/October) I'll start tossing Loose Circuit to agents. As for Supremacy's Shadow, my next step before I self-publish it is direct submission to Baen (they take unsolicited manuscripts and do a lot of mil sci-fi) but I'm holding off on that submission until I can talk to a couple of Baen authors I've gotten to know pretty well, at Balticon. I'm hoping someone will give me at least a cursory recommendation which might help me get out of the slush pile a bit quicker.

Not related to Gollancz, but I recently received a rejection from Ragnarok Publications (I submitted Supremacy's Shadow to their open door) and it mirrored the Angry Robot rejection. Basically "this is a great book, well written and interesting, but it's not right for us."

While it continues to be nice to hear that from an editor, it remains a let down. It would be nice if my "well-written, interesting" book is "right" for some publisher, eventually... :0

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 11:41:56 PM »

It's on my To-Do list! I'm going to be getting feedback from my DC writer's group on episodes 1 to 5 on May 22, then I'll be getting feedback on episodes 6-10 in late July some time. After that, it'll probably take me at least a few months to implement all the feedback.

At that point (probably around September/October) I'll start tossing Loose Circuit to agents. As for Supremacy's Shadow, my next step before I self-publish it is direct submission to Baen (they take unsolicited manuscripts and do a lot of mil sci-fi) but I'm holding off on that submission until I can talk to a couple of Baen authors I've gotten to know pretty well, at Balticon. I'm hoping someone will give me at least a cursory recommendation which might help me get out of the slush pile a bit quicker.

Not related to Gollancz, but I recently received a rejection from Ragnarok Publications (I submitted Supremacy's Shadow to their open door) and it mirrored the Angry Robot rejection. Basically "this is a great book, well written and interesting, but it's not right for us."

While it continues to be nice to hear that from an editor, it remains a let down. It would be nice if my "well-written, interesting" book is "right" for some publisher, eventually... :0

Conceptually, i think LC has a much stronger hook. (For my tastes at least-- I'm not really the military type)  But also I imagine that sometimes it's less about the book and more about the hook/package that can be sold as some sort of new and interesting flavor that readers will buy.  (again, no experience to back up my imaginary musings about how publishers make their esoteric decisions)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 02:38:29 AM »
Update: They're still going (80% done) and responding to nearly everyone!

Really impressed by this. It's a HUGE amount of effort on their part, not to mention super classy.

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/05/update-on-the-gollancz-direct-submissions/

Regardless of if I get a rejection or not, I have to say I appreciate how thorough and committed the folks at Gollancz have been through this process.

Offline Amaranth

• Coreling
  • The world's a stage and I've forgotton my lines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
Is this something they are planning to do every year?

Missed it this year but thinking i could be ready for next January. Of course this is assuming i have help from a couple of writing goblins that can work while i sleep.
If less is more, just think about how much more more would be!

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Scroll to bottom
https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/05/update-on-the-gollancz-direct-submissions/
also
https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2016/08/another-update-on-the-gollancz-open-submissions/

A year later and they still have not responded to everyone, though they said they would even if it was just a "No".
Instead in March 2017 they posted this
https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2017/03/open-submission-alert-weve-got-some-news/

The following titles remain on our list under consideration.

Collusion
    To Moor-Ocean Green
    The Widowers Song
    Higher Ground
    Hrimland
    Porta Coili, the Order of Saint Ceclina
    Bent
    Torn
    A Mars Cat and his Boy
    Kismet
    To End All Wars
    The Blue Magus
    Strawberry Girl
    Mind The Gap
    A Man Repeated
    Rough Diamond
    Timepump
    The Crow Knight
    The Sorrow Eaters
    State of the Mind
    The Golden Virginian
    The Company of Birds

If your book is here, it means we are still considering whether or not to call in a full.

We’ve already started calling in full manuscripts and haven’t listed those here as we’re contacting them separately.

Anyone not on here should have received a response, and if not, then with our deepest apologies we have to assume it was either lost in the mail or were some of the few in the beginning that did not receive notes. We would kindly request that you do not email querying your manuscript if it is not on this list.
Well, I'm not on that list, nor was I contacted, though I submitted.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:31:37 PM by Ray McCarthy »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Bummer. On to the next.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
I was introduced to SF in 1960s by my mum. I quickly discovered the best source was those yellow books in the library Adult Fiction section with a G, The Gollancz fiction. Then I realised not all were SF and discovered other Genres.
I was reading Biggles, Famous Five and loads of Greek, Norse, Celtic myths/legends at the same time. So partly I submitted to Gollancz out of nostalgia.

My first submissions were in 1991. Then people actually wrote back with nice rejection letters (I have maybe one from Penguin somewhere) AND returned the manuscript (which took forever to print on A4 tear off continuous stationary, in Near letter Quality dot matrix printer on my PCW8512). I have a nice cheap to run colour laser now, but I only "print" to Kobo and Kindle eBook readers. The saved paper alone, never mind toner, would have cost more than the Kindle and Kobo TOGETHER (From 3 to  15 copies for proof reading and markup, copy annotations back to laptop with Calibre, for 19 books now!).