June 17, 2019, 08:04:07 PM

Author Topic: Gollancz open to direct submissions 4th to 22th January 2016  (Read 7475 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Gollancz open to direct submissions 4th to 22th January 2016
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »

Gollancz are opening to direct submissions 4th to 22th January 2016
http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/10/gollancz-direct-submissions-january-2016/

Exciting news for all aspiring writers out there!

At Gollancz we are proud of our continuing history of publishing the best debut authors each year. We see nurturing and promoting such talent as part of our role in the genre community. We know that it can be intimidating and difficult when you take those first steps with your manuscript, and we want to make it easier for you. And so, following on from the success of the Gollancz Festival 2015, which included the Festival of New Writers, we are excited to announce that we will temporarily be opening for direct submissions again in January 2016. We can’t think of a better way to start the New Year!

We encourage submissions from anyone, around the world, regardless of gender, race, religion, location, lifestyle or anything else. All we ask is that, if you have a manuscript you would like us to consider, you follow these guidelines:

Submissions will be open 4th to 22th January 2016. Only submissions with valid postdates will be considered.
We will only be accepting PHYSICAL submissions.
We will only consider SF, Fantasy, Horror or YA Crossover novels. They must be complete and more than 80,000 words.
We will consider previously self-published works.
We will not consider works we have previously rejected.
We will not consider works sent in by agents, or by authors who already have representation – they can be submitted in the normal way.
We are not currently looking for short story collections or anthologies.
Please send:
The first 50 pages of your manuscript
A cover letter outlining the scope and concept of your work
A full synopsis (no more than 1 page, can be single spaced)
Format:
Double-spaced
Single or double-sided
Please use standard fonts (comic-sans is liable to make our eyes bleed!)
Please address to:
The Gollancz Team
Carmelite House
50 Victoria Embankment
London
EC4Y 0DZ

All submissions will be considered by one of the Gollancz editorial team, and we will work through them as quickly as we can. We will only undertake to respond or offer feedback where we think there is a useful conversation to be had with the author, or we can offer sensible advice to the author. We will make an announcement when we have got through them all.

We look forward to reading your work!

Good luck!

Team Gollancz

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Gollancz open to direct submissions 4th to 22th January 2016
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:28:46 PM »
Physical printed and posted submissions only this time around, to make it easier and quicker for them to read through all the submissions I'm guessing.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Physical printed and posted submissions only this time around, to make it easier and quicker for them to read through all the submissions I'm guessing.

Yeah, so they can dump whatever looks funny or poorly made!  :P

Fair enough. I guess it discourages some people too.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 03:32:12 PM »
Wow physical submissions only, the ink and delivery cost alone makes me faint. :P

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »
I suppose it will cut out a whole heap of crap that people would submit just because it's free, without any real faith in the quality of their work. From previous comments I think they lock themselves in a room together, order pizza and get down to reading the printed-out submissions, so in the main I think this just makes it a whole heap easier for them.

At least you don't have to post the whole novel. I'd expect if they request the full novel then they would ask you to email it.

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:09 PM »
Wow this sounds like an amazing opportunity, not sure if mine will be finished in time  :o

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »
If you miss this submissions period I *think* they are planning on doing this for a little while every year.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »
This is motivating... but I'm nowhere near finishing a novel still. :(

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
I'll be taking advantage of this with my espionage SF or cyberpunk police procedural, I think. The question is which one? Fortunately, both are finished and I've got a month to figure it out.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:38:38 AM »
Reminder for folks that this opens tomorrow. io9.com just added a post about it, so I imagine the submissions will be numerous!

I'll be sending the first 50 pages of my espionage SF novel, Supremacy's Shadow, off tomorrow. Any other F-F folks planning to take the plunge?

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Reminder for folks that this opens tomorrow. io9.com just added a post about it, so I imagine the submissions will be numerous!

I'll be sending the first 50 pages of my espionage SF novel, Supremacy's Shadow, off tomorrow. Any other F-F folks planning to take the plunge?

I doubt they'll accept my collected F-F monthly contest subissions.  :-[
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:54:32 PM »
Still haven't heard anything regarding my espionage SF novel. Did anyone else on here submit, or do you know anyone who submitted? Have any of those people heard back yet?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:28 AM »
I know a handful of people who submitted-- they haven't heard back either but according to twitter some people have received hand-written rejection cards, sometimes with comments, while people getting a request for a full MS have been contacted by email.  It's not clear whether they're contacting everyone they reject or just making an announcement when they're done and if you didn't hear from them it means you're rejected.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 04:00:15 AM »
According to some folks over at AbsoluteWrite, one of the editors posted that they were done looking at manuscripts as of today. No response for me (one way or the other) which means they passed on Supremacy's Shadow. It was a longshot, regardless, and it's good to know at least.

Onto the next!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 04:05:15 AM »
According to some folks over at AbsoluteWrite, one of the editors posted that they were done looking at manuscripts as of today. No response for me (one way or the other) which means they passed on Supremacy's Shadow. It was a longshot, regardless, and it's good to know at least.

Onto the next!

Could there be a second pile for later consideration? A "maybe" pile on first read, awaiting second perusal and final decision?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty