June 05, 2020, 11:09:45 PM

Author Topic: Shogun!  (Read 3663 times)

Offline shep5377

Shogun!
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:08:59 PM »
I saw Jian had started reading this earlier, and since it's in my top 3 books of any genre I thought I'd see if anyone else has read it.

I've long been a fan of the Samurai culture and lapped up books like 'Musashi', The Bushido Code' and 'Taiko', so when I was about 18 my dad gave me a very battered and dog eared copy of Shogun. That copy is still on my shelf, and I think I've read it 6 or 7 times in the decade since then.

Offline Idlewilder

Re: Shogun!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:13:07 PM »
I've never actually read it, but the TV mini-series is probably my favourite film/tv show/mini-series ever. I've probably seen it 20-30 times over the years. Can't really say why I've never read the book though. Which is weird.
Make Another World.

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:01:05 AM »
I read it years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was certainly a change from the Japanophobic novels like Rising Sun by Crichton and Dragon by Cussler that were doing the rounds back then, or the stereotyping of east Asian culture that went on in von Lustbader's novels, although in fairness I read the von Lustbader ones anyway.

The only other Clavell I've read is his POW novel King Rat (that title gets about, doesn't it?) and I enjoyed that one too.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:32:01 AM »
I've read it, many moons ago now, I quite enjoyed it. I also read King Rat. I tried to read another Clavell (Moghul?), but couldn't get into it and abandoned it. Raymond Feist seemed to channel Clavell when he wrote about Kelewan.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »
I've read a bunch of Clavell's eleventy-million years ago - Mum had a whole shelf-full, and really, the only one I remember much of is Shogun, but that also could be because of the mini-series.  It was also the only one I "borrowed" when I moved out of home.  I eventually returned it though (I moved back home & it "mysteriously" reappeared on the shelf...  ;D)

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline shep5377

Shogun!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »
I read it years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was certainly a change from the Japanophobic novels like Rising Sun by Crichton and Dragon by Cussler that were doing the rounds back then, or the stereotyping of east Asian culture that went on in von Lustbader's novels, although in fairness I read the von Lustbader ones anyway.

The only other Clavell I've read is his POW novel King Rat (that title gets about, doesn't it?) and I enjoyed that one too.

I read a few van lustbader as well, but really didn't like the stereotypes. Taipan by Clavell is another good book, but not on the same level as Shogun. I loved the fact it showed the Japanese culture as a wonderful thing compared to the grease and grime of Europe.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »

I read a few van lustbader as well, but really didn't like the stereotypes. Taipan by Clavell is another good book, but not on the same level as Shogun. I loved the fact it showed the Japanese culture as a wonderful thing compared to the grease and grime of Europe.
Taipan! That's it! I did read that, and yes it was good, but not up there with Shogun.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
The cover has fallen off my paperback copy. I've read it three times, and seen the mini-series twice. Love it. One of my all time favourites in any genre.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:18:50 PM by DDRRead »

Offline RocknRollnWrite

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
Shogun is in my top ten of all time books, I think. I've lost count of the number of times I've read it. I picked it up originally because it was about feudal Japan, but I couldn't have imagined the scope.

If you want a masterclass on character-building and internal motivations, that's the book to read, whether or not you're writing SFF
One does not simply walk into the free weights area...