December 03, 2020, 10:55:26 AM

Author Topic: What Non-Fantasy are you currently reading?  (Read 6379 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What Non-Fantasy are you currently reading?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2020, 06:05:25 PM »
I like to read a non-fiction book in the background of my 'main' book.

I've finished Talking to stranger by Malcolm Gladwell: very intersting, about how we approach strangers, how we "default to truth" and other automatic techniques, and how that can cause many problems. Lots of examples, from Chamberlain meeting Hitler to Amanda Knox, ending with an analysis of american police that's all about this "handling strangers" position.

Now I started re-reading Richard Dawkins' The ancestor's tale - the only book on biology I ever liked, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline TypesWithHammers

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
Spinoza's Ethics
I need to better understand his philosophy and world view for a thread of my own novel.

I'm just curious, but what sort of thread are you using Spinoza's Ethic for?

I read and enjoyed it years ago, although I hardly understood anything for the first 7 or 8 pages, and then I started to understand some sentences and paragraphs. After about 20 pages it became clear.

My protagonist is a Christian, the antagonist is a demon. Spinoza's Ethics proposes an alternative view to orthodoxy of how we perceive God. This tests the protagonist's belief system. Not sure whether I will retain this device, but I need to write it through to see. 85% done on first draft, but it might go in the edits if I don't like it!  :)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
Spinoza's Ethics
I need to better understand his philosophy and world view for a thread of my own novel.

I'm just curious, but what sort of thread are you using Spinoza's Ethic for?

I read and enjoyed it years ago, although I hardly understood anything for the first 7 or 8 pages, and then I started to understand some sentences and paragraphs. After about 20 pages it became clear.

My protagonist is a Christian, the antagonist is a demon. Spinoza's Ethics proposes an alternative view to orthodoxy of how we perceive God. This tests the protagonist's belief system. Not sure whether I will retain this device, but I need to write it through to see. 85% done on first draft, but it might go in the edits if I don't like it!  :)

The antagonist of one book I have planned is an Objectivist so I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to at some point read 'Atlas Shrugged'. I've heard it can be a struggle to get through.