November 28, 2020, 02:43:04 AM

Author Topic: What Non-Fantasy are you currently reading?  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
Re: What Non-Fantasy are you currently reading?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
Read that one not that impressed there are so many better historical authors.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »
Andy Cope with The little book of emotional intelligence and Stephen Law with The philosophy files.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
I've just finished 'I Spy: My Life in MI5' and am now reading 'First Into Action,' a personal account of an SBS commando. Mostly this is research for the novel I'm writing now, but really interesting too.

Offline laughs

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »
Just began James Kalat's Biological Psychology last week. As the title suggests, it's an account of what it is to offer biological accounts of behavior. I was keen to find out how (if at all) this approach might differ from the behavioral approach. Interestingly enough, the approach draws from certain aspects of monism, which sets it apart from behavioral psych. Yet, we must remember that monism is a very broad concept--it ranges the whole spectrum from questions of origin to specific shared characteristics among given species, or even things. Interesting read so far. Looking forward to more of this during this week.

Stay safe, guys! :)

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »
I'm reading Invisible women, by Caroline Criado Perez.
It's a super interesting book, based on data (or lack thereof) about the impact that normal policies, planning and other stuff have on women, and how even the people with best intentions, if they don't have the right data and knowledge end up making things way harder for women (even when it's supposed to be gender-neutral).

It's not man bashing in any way, even I am learning new things, as even my life as a woman is biased by my own experiences.

For example, who knew that just by adding more entrances to a play area, and sub-dividing it in smaller spaces, hugely increases the proportion of girls using it?

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »
I'm reading Invisible women, by Caroline Criado Perez.
It's a super interesting book, based on data (or lack thereof) about the impact that normal policies, planning and other stuff have on women, and how even the people with best intentions, if they don't have the right data and knowledge end up making things way harder for women (even when it's supposed to be gender-neutral).

It's not man bashing in any way, even I am learning new things, as even my life as a woman is biased by my own experiences.

For example, who knew that just by adding more entrances to a play area, and sub-dividing it in smaller spaces, hugely increases the proportion of girls using it?

I've finished this one, and it made me feel better for having read it but also really angry for all the stuff that goes on.
From safety tests in cars not taking into account women drivers to the way doctors are trained (did you know that the usual heart attack symptoms are only valid for men?), to the fact that refugee houses are built without kitchens because nobody thought to ask women what was needed, and many other things fully supported by data... or not, because in some cases gender-disaggregated data doesn't exist because it's "too difficult"
People think of 'human rights' as different from 'women rights', as if 'women rights' are some sort of minority afterthought...

@J.R. Darewood, I think you'd really appreciate this book (at least a few chapters, they match what you normally talk about)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:22:07 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment, and greatly enjoying it; great lush detailed description, a Victorian-era voice, spooky happenings in large houses. Couldn't ask for more! :)
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2020, 02:41:26 AM »
Just finished 'The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious' by C.G. Jung. It's the kind of book that I need to read and re-read slowly. A lot in it, and still very relevant. He's interesting on how personal neuroses can play out on a societal level.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 10:34:00 PM »
I'd decided to take a small break from fantasy and read Bernardine Evaristo Girl, woman, other.
She's a nice person, book had so many praises...

I started. I should have taken a look at the shop.
For goodness sake, what's wrong with sentences and starting with a capital letter and paragraphs and punctuation? Why are these "award-winning" books so badly written? Is everyone really so bored that unless a book breaks the rules, it's not worth it? These people wouldn't know a plot if it hit them in the face ::)

Who was surprised at me getting a non-fantasy book? I'm afraid you were 100% right and I've learnt my lesson :'(
I'll also try to exchange the book...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 10:35:32 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 12:04:36 AM »
Read made things by Adrian Tchaikovsky, a short lovely read.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline TypesWithHammers

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2020, 08:07:50 AM »
For fiction: JA's Before they are Hanged.
Just finished Gregory Normington' s Ship of Fools (read it last 15 years ago!)

For non-fiction:  Spinoza's Ethics
I need to better understand his philosophy and world view for a thread of my own novel.

Always have one of each type on the go!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:48 AM »
I'm currently reading Infantry Warfare in the Early Fourteenth Century: Discipline, Tactics, and Technology
by Kelly DeVries - some fascinating stuff, and it really emphasises the role psychology and morale play in battles.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Cherie

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
I'm currently reading Bitter Falls a thriller type from Rachel Caine.

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 05:12:44 AM »
Spinoza's Ethics
I need to better understand his philosophy and world view for a thread of my own novel.

I'm just curious, but what sort of thread are you using Spinoza's Ethic for?

I read and enjoyed it years ago, although I hardly understood anything for the first 7 or 8 pages, and then I started to understand some sentences and paragraphs. After about 20 pages it became clear.

Offline Christopher C. Fuchs

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 04:09:35 PM »
Just finished...Philosophy: 100 Essential Thinkers, by Philip Stokes

A great introduction to a broad range of Western philosophers and their philosophies, from Thales of Miletus to W.V.O. Quine, helpfully organized in a table of contents by time frame (Presocratics, Age of Science, etc.) and schools (Rationalists, Empiricists, Evolutionists, etc.). Though lacking real depth on any one philosophy, the one-page profiles hint at that depth and convey a basic understanding of the evolution of philosophical thought on basically everything. Each profile also provides a quick view of what they were like as people, such as Schopenhauer’s “vain dislike” of fellow Berlin professor Hegel, or Kant’s personality as “a very unadventurous fellow.” The profiles are also pretty balanced in their assessment of each philosopher. For example, the positive principals behind Adam Smith’s The Wealth of Nations is followed by revealing the negative unintended consequences of Smith’s principals, such as exploitative labor practices and poverty. On the downside, there seem to be an unusual number of glaring typos in the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3575619723
"Top 5 Novel of the Year" --Liviu Suciul, former co-editor of Fantasy Book Critic, review for my debut Lords of Deception (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3016003847).