November 18, 2018, 08:51:15 PM

Author Topic: Best Non-Fantasy Book you have read?  (Read 34818 times)

Offline Shay_Fox

• Builder
  • I am me loving and caring.. I love to making since
    • View Profile
Re: Best Non-Fantasy Book you have read?
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »
Big fan of the already mentioned: Catch 22, Fight Club, and 1984.

Roddy Doyle - The Commitments
James Clavell - Shogun
Aldous Huxley - Ape and Essence
Marge Piercy - Woman on the Edge of Time
Jeanette Winterson - Oranges are Not the Only Fruit
DH Lawrence - The Rainbow
Mary Renault - The King Must Die
Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe's Rifles
Bernard Cornwell - The Last Kingdom
Bernard Cornwell - The Winter King
Colleen McCullough - The First Man in Rome
Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
Hermann Hesse - Siddhartha
Nick Hornby - Hi Fidelity
Kazuo Ishiguro - An Artist in the Floating World
Stephen King - IT
John King - The Football Factory
Irvine Welsh - Trainspotting

That's a great collection you have.

Offline MammaMamae

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »
* I'm a sucker for Russian lit, big fat epics from the 70s and 80s, and literary works shaped around fairy tales.  Love Brothers Karamazov, War and Peace, and The Thornbirds, Shogun, and anything by Angela Carter or AS Byatt.

* Contemporary realist lit fic, though I tend to prefer shorter books or collections of short stories in that genre.  Alice Munro and Colm Toibin are particular favorites.  And though their works are much longer, I'm obsessed with Elena Ferrente and Karl Ove Knausgaard.

* Non-fiction literary essays!  Ursula K Le Guin is FABULOUS as an essayist, and I also like James Wood's collections.

* Finally my old academic love, Theology.  Favorite theology classics are Pavel Evdokimov's Women and the Salvation of the World, and the work of Elizabeth Johnson, Elizabeth Behr-Segel, and Vladimir Lossky. 

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »
The Stand by Stephen King is one of my all time favourites.

If that is still 'too fantasy', then I also love 'The Last Kingdom' by Bernard Cornwell. Historical fiction based on the viking invasions of England.

In Non-Fiction, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins has made a pretty massive impression on my life and views, so that has to be up there.
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Steve S

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »
A few of my favourites would be:

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
The Lord of the Flies - William Goulding
Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

The list is always changing though!

MASTODON

« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
Really dig James Ellroy. Black Dahlia, Big Nowhere, LA Confidential, White Jazz, American Tabloid, Cold Six Thousand, Blood's a Rover, Perfidia, My Dark Places... take your pick, they are masterpieces.

Don Winslow is another wordsmith who's work is as addictive as heroin and hits you like a liver shot. Power of the Dog, The Cartel, California fire and life, Winter of Frankie Machine, Life and death of Bobby Z, Kings of Cool, Savages.

Benjamin Whitmer writes prose that can hit you deep, wriggle beneath your skin and stay there. Pike and Cry father are particularly fantastic.

Tom Franklin, William Gay and Donald Ray Pollock are, IMO, essential reading. Absolutely beautiful prose, the kind of story telling that amazes you with their craftsman ship and visions. Take your pick from their novels, each are beautiful and dark in equal measure.

Stephen King ...need more be said?

Same goes for Clive Barker and Robert McCammon.

Joe R Lansdale delivers a wild ride with each novel. Funny, violent, grotesque, mysterious, thrilling, chilling, spooky, drama. . . you name it, it's in there.

John Connolly's Charlie Parker series is superb. A mixture of thriller, murder mystery and horror all blended into one class act like James Lee Burke with his fantastic Dave Robicheaux series.

Peter Straub delivers novels that have inception-style-layers of intricacies wrapped up in gorgeous prose and chilling horror-mysteries.

Dennis Lehane is another author who's work should be checked out. Mystic River and The Given Day are 'perfect' books.

....um... I'd better stop now. Some books for those looking for something new to read. Hope you enjoy them :)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:39:06 PM by MASTODON »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2016, 05:51:33 AM »
Not sure if other people had similar tastes, but I personally like horror stories by Edgar Allan Poe. The tell-tale heart is just pure perfection, as well as The Fall of the House of Usher. The Raven poem is rather macabre and intriquing as well.

Offline ctrandall

« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2018, 12:16:29 AM »
A recent great read for me was Peter Godfrey-Smith's Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Alien Intelligence. It's non-fiction but it's incredibly interesting. Godfrey-Smith examines the conditions under which octopuses evolved their particular kind of intelligence and, in the process, reveals how remarkably alien their minds are when compared to ours. He draws on the fossil record, current scientific research and his own experiences to illustrate just how intelligent octopuses really are (you will be amazed) while also pointing out the limits of their intelligence (they won’t be taking over the world for at least another 100,000 years or so).

The book deals with topics like perception, communication and aging (yes, current theory suggests the aging process plays a role in the evolution of intelligence) but never falls into dry academic-speak. Amongst his clear and cogent arguments, Godfrey-Smith intersperses tons of humorous, and even touching, anecdotes about octopuses refusing to cooperate with researchers, figuring out how to short-circuit lights and escaping their aquariums to go on nocturnal hunts in neighbouring fish-tanks.

Overall, I found it both highly enjoyable and informative.

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »
A recent great read for me was Peter Godfrey-Smith's Other Minds: The Octopus and the Evolution of Alien Intelligence.

This caught my eye in the bookshop recently. Sounds really interesting. It's going on the to-read list.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2018, 04:40:31 PM »
I couldn't narrow this down to one book. If I could, it would probably be a history book. Almost all non-fiction I read is history. I have read some non-fantasy fiction, but right now not much springs to mind. 1984 is an obvious choice, but only because it is widely known to be excellent, and I certainly agree there.

With regards to non-fiction, Robert Harvey's 'The War of Wars', Peter Fronkopan's 'The Silk Roads', Richard Bassett's 'For God and Kaiser' and really anything by Michael Axworthy are the first books I would think to recommend.

I'm also very much into philosophy, but I would hesitate to recommend some works because they required serious editing. I read 'Thus Spake Zarathustra' and it ended with a hundred pages of notes where the translator struggled to explain everything. I now know why Nietzsche is at once so influential and yet so misunderstood.

Offline Skip

« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2018, 03:39:39 AM »
Well that was a fun read, all the way back to 2011!  Here's a few of my favorites.

Marc Bloch, Feudal Society
Albert Camus, The Plague
Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep
G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday
Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim
John Dos Passos, The U.S.A trilogy
Graham Greene, Brighton Rock
Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest
Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls
Richard Hofstadter, Goedel, Escher, Bach
Richard Hughes, A High Wind in Jamaica
John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany
Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Jack London, The Call of the Wild

Aw geez, I'll stop there. Not even halfway through the alphabet, and I left off all the excellent history books (except for Bloch, of course)
Visit Altearth