July 18, 2019, 08:39:43 PM

Author Topic: Robin Hobb on Writing Excuses Podcast  (Read 1406 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Robin Hobb on Writing Excuses Podcast
« on: October 14, 2016, 11:44:32 PM »
robin hobb showed up on the latest episode of writing excuses.

http://www.writingexcuses.com/2016/10/12/11-bonus-01-characterization-and-differentiation-with-robin-hobb/

she's wonderful.

mostly talking about writing nice characters and dialog.  i was fangirling that she starts stories like i do, with characters.  and i was loving all the solid thoughts -- again, that mirrored my own -- on how to write dialog and how each character has a unique voice.

my bubble of love was only a tiny bit punctured with the talk about her being a pantser after that.  but, if i was forced to guess, i probably would have called her as one.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Robin Hobb on Writing Excuses Podcast
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 05:53:37 AM »
I can't wait to find time to listen!!!!

(he says while at work at 10pm posting on fantasy faction instead of writing his quarterly report)

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:24:58 PM »
Just listened. It makes sense that Robin Hobb starts with characters because they are A+, but it boggles my mind that she doesn't do extensive planning for her books. They are so detailed and come together like she knew exactly what was going to happen the entire way.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:52:07 PM »
right?!

pantsers being able to get out a coherent story just boggles my mind in general.  to do it as well as she does causes my brain to lock up trying to think about it.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:43:15 PM »
Sounds like the kind of savant approach that Stephen King describes... it's like archeology for them, discovering the story as they brush it off. *frowns* Having talent greater than mine is just so tasteless!  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell