July 17, 2018, 02:40:07 PM

Author Topic: I need more Pantheons ....  (Read 135 times)

Offline michaelramm

I need more Pantheons ....
« on: July 06, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
I have been on a tear reading through the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. I had known about them for quite awhile...but judged the books by their cover (is that Fabio on the covers?!?!) and dismissed them. Then a few weeks back, a co-worker convinced me to try Hounded....an boy did I LOVE it!!

One of the things that I love most about it (besides Oberon's "inner monologues") are the reliance on the Norse and Celtic pantheons/mythologies. I just finished The Viking Spirit: An Introduction to Norse Mythology and Religion, and I am currently reading Celtic Mythology: Tales of Gods, Goddesses, and Heroes. I have The Mammoth Book of Celtic Myths and Legends on tap afterwards, as well.

Are there any other good resources for expanding my knowledge of the Norse, and especially Celtic pantheons out there? Also, any other fiction series with a focus on either of these pantheons would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Currently Reading: Hunted [Iron Druid #6]
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline Peat

Re: I need more Pantheons ....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
Re Celtic

Lady Augusta Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men is still probably the single best collection on Irish myth. Not always the easiest read but worth a look at anyhoo.

For the Welsh, probably best to go straight to source and pick up a copy of the Mabinogion

I'd also recommend Proinsias Mac Cana as an author if looking for more background knowledge.

If you want to get very scholarly, Georges Dumezil's books on Norse mythology are very interesting, and Jaan Puhvel has a decent amount on both in Comparative Mythology.

As for fiction based on the mythology -

There's a lot out there. But maybe look at American Gods, the Black Cauldron chronicles, The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson, and the Dresden Files as a start.