What do you like better

Dragon
3 (75%)
Wyvern
1 (25%)
Draconian
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Dragon Vs Wyvern Vs Draconian  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Phoenix

Dragon Vs Wyvern Vs Draconian
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
And, can someone help me understand he major difference between a dragon and a wyvern?
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: Dragon Vs Wyvern Vs Draconian
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
Draconian is an adjective describing very harsh laws and rules with rough penalties - nothing to do with dragons.

A wyvern has a different mythological background, and different physiology. Wiki them and you'll see.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »
Draconians are from Dragonlance :p

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
And, can someone help me understand he major difference between a dragon and a wyvern?

i want to say wyverns are dirty, less intelligent, more animalistic cousins of dragons.

aha!  boom!  quora to the rescue:
https://www.quora.com/Fantasy-genre-What-are-the-differences-between-Dragons-and-Wyverns

tho, technically, if it's your fantasy world, heck, they can be whatever you want!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »

i want to say wyverns are dirty, less intelligent, more animalistic cousins of dragons.

aha!  boom!  quora to the rescue:
https://www.quora.com/Fantasy-genre-What-are-the-differences-between-Dragons-and-Wyverns

tho, technically, if it's your fantasy world, heck, they can be whatever you want!
Yep, I would have said the thing with the legs too. And a Lind(w)orm is the same without any legs (but sometimes wings).

So:
0 legs: Lindworm
2 legs: Wyvern
3 legs: Crippled Dragon
4 legs: Dragon
6 legs: Antragon
8 legs: Spidragon
;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 06:42:59 PM »
Going from my Monster Hunter experience here and saying there are a number of ways you can tell whether something is a dragon or a wyvern. And it's simple, too!

Typically, dragons have four legs, a tail, and two wings.

Wyverns, however, have two legs, a tail, and two wings.

If the creature has less legs or wings, I believe it becomes a wyrm? I'm not a hundred percent on this last one, maybe someone else can help. But these general rules should be correct unless an author/franchise explicitly states that in their universe there are different rules.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:55:19 PM by AlmightyZael »
Up Helly Aah!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:09:48 PM »
3 legs: Crippled Dragon

ha!  i LITERALLY burst out laughing at that.

EDIT:
also -- could there be anything scarier than a spidragon?  especially a big, hairy one.

*shivers*

EDIT 2:

what.  the.  HELL?!?
http://wiki.fallensword.com/index.php/Spidragon_(Legendary)

thanks, xia.  'preciate the nightmares.

EDIT 3:
uh oh . . . the link is fixed!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:44:44 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
what.  the.  HELL?!?
http://wiki.fallensword.com/index.php/Spidragon_(Legendary)

thanks, xia.  'preciate the nightmares.
I didn't know!  :o

PS: Nice of you to make the link only work if you add the last ) in your browser bar to help click-happy people to prevent those nightmares. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:29:46 PM »
Just a random opinion of dragons - I like the Tolkien approach, where they're intelligent, prideful, malevolent spirits representing notions of greed, pride, and hate. Tying a creature like that to a person was great to me when I was a kid (Pern), but since then, I like my dragons sophisticated and aloof.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
PS: Nice of you to make the link only work if you add the last ) in your browser bar to help click-happy people to prevent those nightmares. ;)

man -- i tried, but i couldn't leave a broken link.  beware, people!  beware!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »

Wyverns and black and made out of 16-bit graphics on the Darksun Computer game from the 90s

Dragons float in the air, have mustaches and no legs and sort of a mane, unless they aren't from China in which case there's a ton of different kinds of all colors and leg combinations.  They all fly.

Draconians suck unless they're Sivaks b/c they can take your shape after you're killed by them or Auraks b/c Auraks are just badass and super sadistic. But sivaks have wings and can fly so that's way cooler than auraks.  Kapaks lick their swords with their poisoned tongues before they start a fight, which is sort of a cool image, personally I think they should make a winged sword-licking sivak (wings and tall and whatnot) with some of the aurak powers (but not looking like an aurak b/c they're ugly). The rest are pretty damn lame.