July 11, 2020, 09:07:18 AM

Author Topic: [JUL 2020] - Old Man's Tale - Discussion Thread  (Read 244 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[JUL 2020] - Old Man's Tale - Discussion Thread
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:15:37 PM »
JULY: An Old Man's Tale

UR A WIZARD HARRY by v-inks

An old man's tale... told in the small hours in a forgotten tavern, on the death bed or to the shining eyes of a child. Filled with unbelievable stories, wars or regret. Told by an old woman because why not? "Old man's tale" is just a catchy phrase, told, or sung or cried or thought. Listen to them, they might be wise or foolish but you'll learn something in any case.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:24:32 PM by ScarletBea »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
Re: [JUL 2020] - Old Man's Tale - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 01:18:22 AM »
I have my idea ready to go, can we get confirmation on if this one is also a 2000 word limit, or is it back to 1500?

(Praying for the former  :P )
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 04:28:55 AM »
Yep, we'll be doing 2000 these 3 months, then a little poll at the end for opinions :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »
Awesome, thanks for clarifying  :)
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »
Well, I have characters and a plot... even the prospect of an ending... so I'm gonna try and join this month.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 04:38:27 AM »
Nice one, hopefully we'll get more entries this month :)

I reckon I'll have this month's polished off in a few days. It's a bit different (for me), so will be interesting to see how it goes down.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 03:04:48 AM »
Nice one, hopefully we'll get more entries this month :)

I reckon I'll have this month's polished off in a few days. It's a bit different (for me), so will be interesting to see how it goes down.

Looking forward to how you pull it off, as I have just been halted in my tracks by the thought that what I'm going for is heading to be 3/4 tell don't show and I'm not liking that at all. Might have to change the concept completely.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 03:43:57 AM »
I'm sure you can work it so that the ratio is cleaner. Personally I think telling has its place, I love Edgar Allen Poe and I feel like he 'tells' a heck of a lot. Though you'd know best with what you have in front of you.

I ended up with 2500 words for this and thought it was going to be impossible to chisel down. Normally I finish first draft around the mark, certainly not more than 150 over. But I've painstakingly got it down to 2000 and just need to go over it a few more times to be happy with it.

Hope you can get yours to where it needs to be, I have faith  :)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:43 AM »
You have a lot of time though! I often feel it's best to leave it alone as long as possible, so I clear away these impressions of how important to the story such and such bits are. When I'm fresh off of finishing, everything feels perfect and uneditable  ;D

I think I'll try the second idea for change.

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 06:17:12 AM »
Yeah, I tend to get my idea and then just see it through while it's fresh. I'll return to it multiple times over the month to make sure it's right. I have changed story completely a couple of time too (or just given up, as happened with the Erotica challenge...).

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
  • Whisperer of Sweet Word Vomit Into Your Ear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 04:35:09 PM »
I think I have at least a concept down, and maybe a character or two. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain steam this month.