November 25, 2020, 05:45:47 AM

Author Topic: Announcement of the next three themes  (Read 683 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Announcement of the next three themes
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »
June, July, August - our next three themes

Hello all!
So what we're doing now is announcing the next three themes and look how this works out. This gives us plenty of time to decide together about the winner's announcement, word count lengths and other stuff.

On we go!

JUNE: Track Marks

Track Marks by EyesofOdysyeus

The first theme is an image prompt. For those who don't know them, it's about writing a story inspired by a picture. For the sake of fantasy, we ignore that the track marks are made by car wheels. Every kind of wheel is allowed.

JULY: An Old Man's Tale

UR A WIZARD HARRY by v-inks

An old man's tale... told in the small hours in a forgotten tavern, on the death bed or to the shining eyes of a child. Filled with unbelievable stories, wars or regret. Told by an old woman because why not? "Old man's tale" is just a catchy phrase, told, or sung or cried or thought. Listen to them, they might be wise or foolish but you'll learn something in any case.

AUGUST: Dialogue

This month's theme is not a theme as you know it but a writing exercise. We want you to tell a story only in dialogue form, with no descriptions at all. All kinds of Fantasy or Science Fiction are eligible.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The stories content must fit to the month's theme.
3. Prose must be 500-2000 words long [NEW!]
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close at the first day of the month that comes after the month the theme was for and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months if we get this system running again.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Discussion or questions can be posted here [June], here [July] or here [August].
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:13:29 AM by ScarletBea »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Announcement of the next three themes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:45 AM »
Well, this is a cool surprise!
Thanks, @xiagan (and @ScarletBea, of course).

Plenty of time to talk about story length, huh?
I’d love to see either June or July at 2,500 words.
August (dialogue), meh, keep it brief  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:09:52 AM »
Xiagan is now on holidays abroad and not easily accessible, so I'm making an executive decision and changing June's limit to 2000 words - that was part of the initial proposal as well.
We'll see about the others later.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »
Oooh, I already did August's topic once before... Dang, should have saved it xD
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty