Failure to Connect - Alex Hormann
1 (9.1%)
A High Magic - Nora
5 (45.5%)
Heading Out - NightWrite
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 26, 2020, 04:07:41 PM

Author Topic: [AUG 2020] - Dialogue - Voting Thread  (Read 706 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
Re: [AUG 2020] - Dialogue - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:34 AM »
Uwah, thanks a lot guys. I voted for Jake too. I can't help but feel it's a sneaky win, because I felt no inspiration this month and really struggled birthing this story. I think Jake's is better and ought to have had the upper hand, but I already did my all by voting for him, so I'll take it :-p

@Alex Hormann you really wrote in a type of world I love. You story reminded me of the game Control, and while I appreciated the paranormal, haunted element, I felt some of the lines felt a little forced or on the nose. Aka, would a person really monologue to the empty screen in such a plot-expositionary way? I was torn because I love the idea of the world, but it rendered in as crisp a way as the trio of voices in Jake's. But good work any way, fun world!

@NightWrite I'm surprised you kept it this short! Was a little saddened by the lack of tension/realisation. It felt like an opening chapter to a good story. The world and character were intriguing, but there was no plot to really speak of. I liked the voices, the banter, but a couple places I lost track of who was speaking, as the way they expressed themselves was too similar. If I remember, you picked the one you weren't feeling hot for right? I'd like to read the fuller version of the story where you put in the world building. I'm curious.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:35:19 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2020, 04:10:57 AM »
@Alex Hormann  I felt some of the lines felt a little forced or on the nose. Aka, would a person really monologue to the empty screen in such a plot-expositionary way?

@NightWrite I'm surprised you kept it this short! Was a little sad by the lack of tension/realisation, It felt like an opening chapter to a good story. The world and character were intriguing, but there was no plot to really speak of.
I'd like to read the fuller version of the story where you put in the world building. I'm curious.
Nora, I really agree with you here, the above bits are almost the same as my notes!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2020, 04:34:48 AM »
Wow thanks Bea you made me re-read myself. Hey guys, I get published on the main site! Yes me, the great author of famous lines such as :

Was a little sad by the lack of tension

lolololol
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2020, 04:47:00 AM »
At this rate the stories will be on the main site in 2033 :'(
(you guys can't imagine the pain I've been, constantly asking... ::) ;D)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2020, 09:15:40 AM »
This is nice news to log-in to, thanks to those who voted for me  ;D

Happy to share the win with Nora, I enjoyed your story, it had a couple of nice twists and got my vote :)

Actually really enjoyed this theme, I mulled over a load of ideas from the moment the 3 themes were announced but nothing seemed to work as 'dialogue only'. Somehow, adding a '3rd character' actually made things a lot more workable!

Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2020, 11:17:47 AM »
Congrats, both of you! I was surprised how well only-dialogue worked in all the stories. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2020, 12:46:39 AM »
Congratulations to both, great having a double win. @Jake Baelish you got my vote because it is hard to do 'show' not 'tell' with dialogue and your story showed beautifully. Also I had no idea what was happening for ages- so well done.
But all good stories in a hard theme and enjoyable reading. :D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic