January 28, 2020, 01:42:05 PM

Author Topic: Voting  (Read 12363 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Voting
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 07:31:09 PM »
I used to give karma for story submissions and just switched to likes. I haven't read them yet.

Having/not having likes is a board thing and default is off. So new monthly contests don't have them anyway unless activated. (The discussion topics are included of course.)

It is a problem to have a "like-voting", I can see that. But submitting something and not getting likes for it is a shame too... Meh.

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Voting
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 11:56:18 PM »
I'm currently reading through the March Rogues submissions, and at the moment what's bugging me are the 'likes'.
We have the vote results hidden throughout the month, so that people voting don't know what the current status is, yet now with the 'likes' I can see stories with 1, or 3, or 6 likes, and even if I try to ignore it, I can't help but notice that in my brain :-\
I'd prefer if people didn't use 'like' for the submissions... is it possible?
It does kind of grate on me, too, but it doesn't necessarily tally up. Just because a story gets 3 likes doesn't mean it will get 3 votes, it may get more or even less.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 01:50:08 AM »
I've been putting in like almost every time  because I enjoy them, but doesn't reflect in any way how I vote. There is big difference to enjoying a story and choosing some above others for the writing, plot, characters and relevance to given theme.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 04:04:06 AM »
Yeah, same as @Lady Ty I liked the stories I voted for, but I liked others that didn't make it to my cut. However there are stories that I didn't catch on at all... I guess it's the disparity that is the real problem. Maybe the stories with the least likes/votes in the end are the one who should get the most and more detailed reviews of what didn't work for people, and what did? I don't know really. I don't really care, I'd wish reviews whether or not my story has good votes. I'm expecting little love of my upcoming April story already haha
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »
I'll say this, for all that's worth (prob not much): I really hate spelling and grammar errors. So unless the plot/idea is top notch, stories with errors go straight down in my scale :-\

This is my greatest fear when it comes to writing. I try to be very careful, but as you all know by now English is not my first language, so I'm well aware that an occasional grammar mistake may creep in unnoticed (by me). I understand that it gives the impression of carelessness, I feel the same when I see it in others, but I guess there's nothing I can do besides continuing to write and hoping my grammar keeps improving.

As for the number of voters, I understand Xi's dilemma. If we had more people voting, it would also feel more gratifying for the winner - but it is a great commitment to ask someone to read more than a dozen short-stories, by people they don't really know. I always vote for the ones I like the best, but I understand people who don't have the time to do so. I prefer that they don't vote, rather than voting randomly just for the sake of voting  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 07:41:58 AM »
Another question on voting: since we each get several votes but don't have to give them all out, is it considered bad form to vote for fewer than the maximum? I don't think this has been the case for me yet (though I didn't even realise that we could tick fewer than the maximum), but for example if there were one or two stories that you felt were brilliant, then several that were decent but not quite at the same level, would you vote for only those two or would you add two more from the ones you didn't like as much?

Personally I think that it'd be a good idea to just vote for the two that you thought stood out, since it makes vites more valuable, and it is a better reflection of what you thought of the relative quality of the stories.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
This has been the case most of the time.

voters x allowed number of votes =/= given votes in total

I think it depends on personal preference and that's okay

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 08:42:18 AM »
I didn't use all my vote on the rogues or best of the 2014 contest. I think I only use two votes for the best of 2014 contest as two really stood out for me  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 09:42:49 AM »
Usually there are some stories I find 'outstanding', and they're less than the number of votes allowed. However, I do then go on to vote for the 'second best' as well,  because I think it's important for the writers.
If I felt strongly about certain stories I would send a private message to the writer, but for me it's important to use all my votes.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 02:37:06 AM »
@xiagan how much control do you have over the graphs that show after the voting?

I take it the percentages shown are out of the total even when people can vote for multiple entries. It'd be more useful to have the percentage (and the bar) based on the number of people who voted, so for example Rukaio's story was voted for by 10/24 people so in a way it got 42% of the votes. The graph on the Rogues one looks a bit weird since it says that even the winner only got 12% of the votes...  :P

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not possible to change that kind of thing, just thought I'd mention it! :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 02:43:13 AM »
@xiagan how much control do you have over the graphs that show after the voting?

I take it the percentages shown are out of the total even when people can vote for multiple entries. It'd be more useful to have the percentage (and the bar) based on the number of people who voted, so for example Rukaio's story was voted for by 10/24 people so in a way it got 42% of the votes. The graph on the Rogues one looks a bit weird since it says that even the winner only got 12% of the votes...  :P

Wouldn't be surprised if it's not possible to change that kind of thing, just thought I'd mention it! :)
I definitely looked at it your way. I thought, wow! Ten votes out of 24. Not too shaky!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
None at all.  :-\

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »
None at all.  :-\
Ahh well, never mind - I'm sure we can manage the maths ourselves!  :P