March 06, 2021, 05:35:50 AM

Author Topic: Likes in the writing contest  (Read 26453 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: Likes in the writing contest
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2015, 10:08:51 PM »
This could be easily fixed by leaving the story out the spoiler tags, but that does mean we'll end up with some super page of text, so is it not possible to limit the number of posts per page on this part of the forum to 3-5 rather than 15?

Maybe I am missing something, but I'm not sure how leaving it out of the spoiler tags would make a difference in this case. The number of likes is still visible and just as likely to be seen before reading. Having been around since before the writing contest used the spoiler tags, I have to say I love that submissions are handled that way now. Many members use the 'View Recent Posts' feature from the first page, and it made it too easy to miss posts when they were in the middle of long writing contest entries.

I'm not trying to discourage discussion here, just wanted to point out that I see real benefit to the forum overall in using the spoiler tags. And that in this case I am not sure I see how it would impact a users recognition of likes on the post.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »
Could you not just have a standalone submissions forum where all the submission threads are consolidated, and then create a post with a link to the submissions post for that month in the monthly contest subforum? That way somebody looking for a quick read (or a masochist!) could access all the submission threads at the click of a mouse without needing to go into each subforum to do so.
Yeah I guess that'd be possible too, pretty much what I suggested but without moving the submissions thread at the end right?
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
This could be easily fixed by leaving the story out the spoiler tags, but that does mean we'll end up with some super page of text, so is it not possible to limit the number of posts per page on this part of the forum to 3-5 rather than 15?

Maybe I am missing something, but I'm not sure how leaving it out of the spoiler tags would make a difference in this case. The number of likes is still visible and just as likely to be seen before reading. Having been around since before the writing contest used the spoiler tags, I have to say I love that submissions are handled that way now. Many members use the 'View Recent Posts' feature from the first page, and it made it too easy to miss posts when they were in the middle of long writing contest entries.

I'm not trying to discourage discussion here, just wanted to point out that I see real benefit to the forum overall in using the spoiler tags. And that in this case I am not sure I see how it would impact a users recognition of likes on the post.
The like thing is at the bottom of the post, so you wouldn't see the number until you've read the whole thing. If the submission threads were in their own subforum maybe they could be hidden from the recent posts page...?

Seems like we're getting further and further from any simple solutions though.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
Thanks all :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 10:32:07 PM »

As Raptori said, for most entries the story is so long that you can't see the likes at the bottom until you get there. Obviously you can still scroll down and look anyway, but for those who don't want to see them before they've read they don't have to when it's not glaring at them in red bracketed writing just beneath where they have to expand the spoiler bar.

This is just a suggestion though to try and appease both sides. I won't pretend I know anything about forum structure and didn't even know of the view recent posts feature. I guess one advantage of submissions all being kept in the same forum is that you could cater the forum rules specifically to those types of posts. Heck, I don't know, could you even change the styles of that section so that the text comes out easier to read?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:34:21 PM by D_Bates »
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2015, 10:33:48 PM »
Just off the top of my head, but I've had a thought for a potential solution. How about, once the submission period is over, in the voting thread, we have a master post (or posts if there are a lot of entries) with every single entry reposted on it in spoiler tags, like so.

Jmack's Story Title by Jmack
Spoiler for Hiden:
Jmack's story

Elfy's Story Title by Elfy
Spoiler for Hiden:
Elfy's story

Raptori (and Saurus)'s Story Title by Raptori (and Saurus)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Raptori (and Saurus)'s story

That way, people like Bea will have a way to read all the entries without being led astray by the likes (since it'll be impossible to tell which likes are for which stories.) Certainly, that may be a touch more work for xiagan, but even if he doesn't want to do it, I'm certainly one of us would volunteer to set up something. Heck, I'd be willing to do it.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »
I considered something like that as well, though I was more thinking that the author posted something in the discussion thread for people to like instead.

Copying and pasting every story into one huge thread at the end of every month would be a huge task for anyone to undertake though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:54:42 PM by D_Bates »
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »
Just off the top of my head, but I've had a thought for a potential solution. How about, once the submission period is over, in the voting thread, we have a master post (or posts if there are a lot of entries) with every single entry reposted on it in spoiler tags, like so.

Jmack's Story Title by Jmack
Spoiler for Hiden:
Jmack's story

Elfy's Story Title by Elfy
Spoiler for Hiden:
Elfy's story

Raptori (and Saurus)'s Story Title by Raptori (and Saurus)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Raptori (and Saurus)'s story

That way, people like Bea will have a way to read all the entries without being led astray by the likes (since it'll be impossible to tell which likes are for which stories.) Certainly, that may be a touch more work for xiagan, but even if he doesn't want to do it, I'm certainly one of us would volunteer to set up something. Heck, I'd be willing to do it.
With that we could even try out the anonymous submissions idea, which I think at least @Elfy was in favour of. Could be worth considering I guess! What's the character limit - isn't it 20k characters? Wonder how many stories would fit per post that way... though I suppose if someone is copying them all anyway it wouldn't be much more effort to spread them across multiple posts.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 10:47:13 PM »
@xiagan, do not listen to these rocket scientists.  ;)  We need to keep named submissions, especially if we don't have likes.

No on the other hand, I'd keep Likes and drop names. That might actually be pretty cool.

But, really? Let's just keep things as they are.
Though the mad scientists do seem to be having a lot of fun.   ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
Come on people! We need two more votes for Yes!
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2015, 06:26:59 PM »

Or one no vote to switch sides...

How many likes are you willing to pay?  ;D

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »

I will give you 77 of Jmack's.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Justan Henner

• Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »

Perhaps, but I'm going to need some assurances.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »

If you need a court order, I can help you with that. But don't make me bring out the blackmail folder.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Justan Henner

• Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »

If you need a court order, I can help you with that. But don't make me bring out the blackmail folder.

*Ahem* I'm still sitting at 125 likes over here... Clearly you're not seeing how this phishing scam works.