April 12, 2021, 08:49:05 PM

Author Topic: Let's Refresh the Writing Contest!  (Read 8086 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Let's Refresh the Writing Contest!
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2020, 04:10:05 PM »
I'm also not comforatble with a monthly monetary prize.
The "year's champion" is a different thing, that we might then consider.

Hmmm we haven't had puns as a theme before, have we, @xiagan?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »
December's theme: "I'm dreaming of a write Christmas: Puns, Dad jokes and other forms of good humour."
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »
Another 6 months or so since we last talked about this.

What do you think about the contest?
Lately it seems we've only had 2-3 entries each month - and that includes a few newbies (but they seem to be a one-off, so it's not even as if the contest is bring new members/blood to the forum).

Is the advance theme announcement making things predictable?
Has real life got in the way, and was that temporary or expected to continue like this?
Do you, writers, like to have it running ("in the background", so to speak) and you dip in and out depending on theme?
Should we stop votes and just have readers writing a small comment about the stories (voluntarily, of course)?
Or is it finally time to accept that it's basically dead and we should pack it up?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:48:51 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Night Angel
  • used to be a kender...
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »
Just caught up on this. As this is the first month I've been about for years it's a bit rich to give my tuppence... but of course I'm going to :)

One of the things that drew me back was the constraints of the contest. I liked having to reduce down the word count, it was good practice. 2000 was nice for my return effort, but the devil in me craves 1500.

I also liked giving feedback because by working out what I liked in other stories it helped with my own. That feedback became a bit of a task when there were a lot of entries. Not sure I'd have the time to do it now. If numbers tick up it's probably good to say what you liked about the one you chose and maybe point out any bits that didn't hit the mark for you.

Anyway, I don't think it's about a money prize. Being on the site as a winner would be great, but even just Tweeting out the winner would be nice. Hell, you give me a badge saying 'Writing Contest Winner' and I'm set for life. I'd wrestle a manticore for a coffee mug.

Not that plussed about the whole topics in advance myself... I either have the time to write a story that month or I don't. I doubt I'd check the topics until I knew I had that time.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2021, 12:37:39 PM »
Thanks, waka, it seems you're the only one who replied...

@xiagan and I are actually feeling a bit demotivated and wonder if we should continue the contest - although February did have 4 entries, which sounds high compared to the last couple of months hehe

We haven't exactly talked about March theme...

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Mistborn
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
In my experience, it's hard to drum up participation in a community this size, particularly month after month. We really don't have all that many writers here, and we're a notoriously fickle and procrastinating bunch. Don't beat yourselves up about it.

A suggestion: instead of holding a competition, call it a writing challenge. Then once or twice a year, the editors can pick their favourites, and perhaps put it up to a public vote. The stories chosen get to go on the site. That way it's all a bit more chillaxed, but it can still lead to some recognition outside of the forums.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2021, 01:06:06 PM »
Unfortunately we need to get new members here who stay not just for the contest but the forum as well.

Seems everyone’s on Twitter,Facebook,Instagram instead of forums in general.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »
> Is the advance theme announcement making things predictable?

No.

> Has real life got in the way, and was that temporary or expected to continue like this?

Yes. Between this entry the last one I did, I wrote and published 100 000k words of fanfiction. Sue me, I fell in the deep end of Star Wars. Unlike here, my wips in fanfiction have active subscribers expecting a posting schedule, so every last minute of the day I spend on writing I spent on forwarding these stories. I'm still not even done with the first one I started in October. I can't promise I'll return to being a regular.

> Do you, writers, like to have it running.

Definitely. If it weren't there, I would lose the only place I ever wrote original fiction for. But I can't expect you to keep something going for my convenience.

> Should we stop votes

A better option would be a return of the publication on the website. What does the challenge offer to a writer joining today? No significant effect from winning, no concrit, at least not on the scale of what use to be there in the olden days... I feel like there was a goal (to win) and a benefit (to get good feedback), but with both more or less gone, it is not too motivating.

> is it finally time to accept that it's basically dead and we should pack it up?

I don't know. I don't participate often enough that my opinion should matter that much, I think. Is it a pain to maintain? Then maybe yes. Is it effortless? Then maybe keep it running? I'd love to be able to come and go and drop in on short notice. But I can't promise I'll be here every month, so, again, probably not my call.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2021, 01:23:13 PM »
Thanks all.
I think you confirmed my idea that the contest is a good thing to have around, and I like the idea to change from "contest" to "challenge".

We'll still try to issue a different theme each month, but not so constrained by dates and I won't be locking the threads, so that people can still write a story about a particular old theme.
I ask that readers write their comments as they read (no need to wait for the end of the month), hopefully this will create a stronger conversation.

As for your comment about the main site, Nora, I really wish we could do that. Unfortunately after almost 2 years, nothing's happening and I've lost hope.
We tried posting a few on the facebook group, but it didn't work, as that post quickly disappears down the list.
I've got a couple more ideas, and will share if they come to happen.

Offline wakarimasen

• Night Angel
  • used to be a kender...
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »
Does this mean we get mugs?

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »

You can choose ;D

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2021, 01:24:06 AM »
So I thought I'd let everyone know Bea's asked me to host winning stories on my blog as a little 'something' for a reward. I'm planning to start doing that this Thursday.

The main reason I'm posting this is so that if people want a little profile or link to other work for their stories, they can let me know and it'll go on! I'm tagging the first three winners going up so they know @Alex Hormann @Jake Baelish @OnlyOneHighlander
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Online Alex Hormann

• Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2021, 01:59:41 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm happy to be tagged on Twitter @HormannAlex, and if you're throwing in links I've got my science fiction blog At Boundary's Edge. The link for that is in my signature here and my Twitter bio.

Always happy for free publicity and hope it gets some hits.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »
Yay it's happening!
Who needs the main site* when you can have @Peat's blog? :D
Thanks!

* tried to get there for over 2 years...

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2021, 12:22:22 PM »
Oh very interesting! Kind of you too, Peat!!

When you get to me, I don't really do the social media thing, but I do keep a tumblr active to drum up traffic for some fics and in case readers want to reach me (they don't so all's good lol) and I have a page for the forum's stories :
https://bluedaddysgirl.tumblr.com/tagged/original-story

I don't ever use my twitter so no point linking anything like that.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty