October 27, 2020, 11:55:48 PM

Author Topic: Contest Theme Ideas  (Read 59155 times)

Online Ned Marcus

Re: Contest Theme Ideas
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
in our opinion it's best to not vote for yourself. If nobody does it, it's fair.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to state this in the rules? I don't think everybody would think of this.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »
in our opinion it's best to not vote for yourself. If nobody does it, it's fair.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to state this in the rules? I don't think everybody would think of this.
I thought it was in there but we only said "please vote", so yeah, I'll add it, thanks. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2019, 08:20:23 PM »

I thought it was in there but we only said "please vote", so yeah, I'll add it, thanks. ;)

In the voting thread there's always this:
We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.
I guess that kinda covers it...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »
Ah right, yes. That's what I was looking for but apparently I wasn't looking in the right place. Of course it makes more sense in the voting thread than the submission-thread. I'm tired...

Online Ned Marcus

« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2019, 06:56:05 AM »
Ah right, yes. That's what I was looking for but apparently I wasn't looking in the right place. Of course it makes more sense in the voting thread than the submission-thread.
I was looking in the submissions thread and discussions thread, so I didn't see it either.

Offline Bender

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2020, 08:19:40 PM »
May I suggest "twist at the end" as a topic for next writing contest. It'll be judged by story ofc plus how surprisingly unexpected the twist at end was.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
May I suggest "twist at the end" as a topic for next writing contest. It'll be judged by story ofc plus how surprisingly unexpected the twist at end was.

Was going to point out we already did plot twists... and checked. Sure enough it was my second entry ever... in 2015 though.

Whatever happens however, I think you best temper your expectations Bender, the contest seems to be on hold until things are decided, and usually there is a pre-arranged list. Looks like it might change, but please don't expect the next topic to be Twist at the end.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2020, 04:34:13 PM »
While I really like the topic (and when I wrote short stories myself, most had some kind of unexpected revelation/perspective change in the end), I'm not so keen on repeating themes as long as we have other cool ideas we haven't done before.

But yes, it has been five years, so we probably could do it again - when we have figured out how to proceed with the contest (no fan fiction, Nora, promise! ;)).