August 23, 2019, 02:35:03 PM

Author Topic: Contest Theme Ideas  (Read 35212 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Contest Theme Ideas
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2016, 07:02:51 PM »
Did someone suggest "Cheesy Erotica"? No? What a pity.  ;D

Cheese erotica? Kinky
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »
Did someone suggest "Cheesy Erotica"? No? What a pity.  ;D

Cheese erotica? Kinky
Roquefort on the Floor
Foot Feta-ish
Ricottaging
Gorgeousonzola
Brieding in the Woods
Giving Cheader
Red Hot Leicester
Bashing the Stinking Bishop

My work here is done.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »
oh.my.gawd.
 ;D
king of the puns... not?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2016, 04:12:25 AM »
I wonder how many of these he already had prepared on his laptop.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2016, 07:59:22 AM »

As AVI files? All of them.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »

As AVI files? All of them.
Hey now, give me some credit that I thought all of them as I saw the post - hardest part was trying to think of cheeses :P there are so many types.

But I did nick the feta one from Bob's Burgers - Bob's pun on his burger of the day was 'Never Been Feta', and Louise writes 'Foot Feta-ish' instead.

Love that show.

Oh um, context of the thread. Burger theme?  ::)

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »
Btw Evil Magical Weapons should totally be a writing contest theme at some point.
Quoting myself from another thread like the massive ego maniac I am.

Still think it would be a good idea though. :)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
I reckon it's a good albeit simplistic idea. All magical weapons are dangerous - they're weapons. What makes them evil is the hand that wields them, unless they are the perverting type, like the Ring.
Who is evil depends on point of view. I'd be happy with a magical weapon theme and our own interpretation of the side using them!
 :P
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
I reckon it's a good albeit simplistic idea. All magical weapons are dangerous - they're weapons. What makes them evil is the hand that wields them, unless they are the perverting type, like the Ring.
Who is evil depends on point of view. I'd be happy with a magical weapon theme and our own interpretation of the side using them!
 :P
Oh I meant literal evil weapons, like the One Ring. The thing itself is evil. But yea you're right probably a bit too generic. Although we are doing 'Potions' atm so maybe?

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »
But well... If you want to get into philosophical details, do you remember Galadriel's rant about her using the Ring, saving them though becoming a beautiful, terrible queen? It might be evil, but it does things differently depending on who uses/carries it, so just like a gun, it depends still on the hand that wields it.
Of course though in the end you must be right about the Ring, since it was made with Sauron "poring his malice" inside of it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »
You might consider some technically focused contests. For example, provide a short video of someone doing something complex with their fingers, a cat being spooked and jumping in a distinct way, and then setting the task at describing those motions in a very short space. These kinds of talents are, imho, just as worthy of study and arguably even more foundational to writing than the use of the broader brushes and landscapes of theme, plot, setting, etc.

With a little discussion I am sure you could gather a handful of similarly technical challenges that would stretch peoples' specific skills.

Food for thought.

-Gem Cutter
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
I don't think that is something for the writing contest. The contest is for stories or poems, not technical paragraphs.
However, working on description and all that is always good and nothing really stops you from starting a thread in the writer's corner with such a plan. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
One minor point of order: the line between technical paragraphs and storytelling is imaginary - understanding whose hands hold what is central, not peripheral.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Deads

« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
I'd love to see some outside the box ideas.  Gem Cutter's idea is cool, and doesn't have to be totally technical.  Having to include a description of a certain action or motion in a story might be a fun way to see how others perceive  things in writing... 

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »
Beg to disagree. A topic where everyone writes about the exact same thing in different manners is a style exercise contest, not a creative writing contest. Describing something short and similar would soon make the reading boring and fastidious, with no plot and world to separate one from the other. Entertaining and good in its own category, but it remains different.
In writing a short story you are of course meant to work on your descriptions. Yes they are central. And yes they'd make a good exercise on its own. But just because one contains the other, and that other is vital, does not mean that a "technical paragraph" contest is the same as a free theme short story contest.
In so far that a contest is concerned I do believe the line is very real.

I'd love to see some outside the box ideas.  Gem Cutter's idea is cool, and doesn't have to be totally technical.  Having to include a description of a certain action or motion in a story might be a fun way to see how others perceive  things in writing... 

Well, when the themes are actions or types of things, the stories all contain descriptions of such actions and things, don't they? Battles, magic systems, rogues, abandoned places... There was even a month where "X meets Y", so everyone wrote about the same characters meeting.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:00:09 PM by Nora »