May 21, 2019, 08:02:34 PM

Author Topic: Contest Theme Ideas  (Read 31527 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Contest Theme Ideas
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2016, 08:00:29 AM »
Thanks Raptori, for bringing all that back up, and quoting me in an argument, then acting as if that was how I introduced the idea. And like an idiot I let you summon me back into this crap.
The second quote was not from an argument, it was from a post in which you introduced an idea. The other two were from replies to other posts, granted, but such a confrontational tone is not going to persuade others to come around to your way of thinking. It's often hard to filter out a percieved confrontational tone, especially in a forum where that kind of tone is extremely rare, and as such the content of the argument gets lost.

The fact that you saw it as an argument rather than a discussion is precisely the problem. That may have been influenced by the tone of the person you were replying to at first, but I think if you read back you'd realise that the rest of us were honestly trying to discuss your suggestions, but were then put off by how the tone was quickly going downhill. Your second suggestion post carried over some of that tone, and people naturally respond to that.

... just that in their opinion they're not the right fit for the contest as the general community here has come to enjoy it.   :)
Is that the general community that didn't bat an eye when Xiagan went with a 4th Wall exercise in January? Pretty much exactly what I was talking about - a writing contest that featured a technical challenge.
Yep.

You could have said: "The January theme was 'Breaking the Fourth Wall', which is exactly the kind of theme I was talking about. Did nobody enjoy that theme, or do you not think my suggestions are similar to that?"

That would've made your point effectively, and give people something to think about and discuss. I'm with Lady_Ty in that the suggestions you made in the first post she quoted are much more restrictive that the BTFW contest, though I think the ones in the second post she quoted actually parallel the BTFW contest pretty well, presuming the theme is the bit before the colon in each of the examples.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2016, 08:20:48 AM »
Please calm down, everybody.
I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding which is now blown out of size.

I'm a fan of themes like the breaking of the fourth wall, writing the most clich├ęd fantasy story ever or writing one with a surprising ending.

I didn't consider the kind of technical challenges TGC proposed but it's only one or two steps farther and not totally absurd.

I agree that it may be a bit too far from our contest as it now is towards an exercise/assignment people may perceive as a chore so I would be hesitant to do something like that. Hesitant but not opposed.

Thanks for your different views and new ideas, I'll consider them (like all ideas posted here) for 2020+. ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:04:04 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
Now that Xia settled things down, I can post an idea I had.

How about an annual contest with an increased word count, say 5k or 6k, with a free theme?
It would be open Jan, 1st to July, 1st and then the other semester to read and vote.

Considering some great stories we have each month, wondering if it would be interesting to see what people could do with a larger count.
On the other hand, maybe it could be difficult writing it along the monthlies as well, even with a 6 month deadline...
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
I agree with my boss (=xia ;D), but I'd also like to write down an idea I had last night (yes, that's broken down sleep for you hehe, you close your eyes and think of the forum)

What about we continue with the themes as we've been doing, but then, Gem, you set up an extra challenge just for you, on a technical point?
A bit like what Raptori & Saurus said they did a couple of times.
Then you can also write that extra in the intro to your story, and ask to be voted based on how well you managed it - or just mention it later in the critique, asking for that feedback.

For example this month: I'm going to write a story featuring corpses and I'll try to not have any description.

It just seems to me this would balance your technical needs with the current contest that everybody's comfortable with.
(unless you also wanted to compare yourself with others in that technical challenge - then this doesn't work...)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
For competition on such an idea, Bea, The Gen Cutter could simply start a thread of its own. A parallel exercise for people interested by the more technical writing. As far as I'm concerned it's what I aimed to do when I set up "who lives here" and had people describe the characters and stories taking place in a landscape picture. It was hot for a couple of weeks before falling to oblivion, but I assume it's a matter of managing the thread well.

@Lanko : I think it's a great and terrible idea at the same time. Because I'd be all hot to do it, but knowing my lame productivity, I'd be scared of doing that+monthly and not having any room for my personal projects. This being said, I'd still like it to happen. 5k isn't that hard to pull out in a month or two. It could be the occasion to expand on the universe of a beloved monthly short story.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »
I honestly have no desire to change anything. My emotion arises from wanting to be a part of the dialogue and failing. I am a technique-geek, and like all geeks, want others to geek out, too. I debate things out of habit. I see people trying to improve their writing, and I see that they could do that better/faster by getting out of their comfort zones and learning techniques. It's just my unique point of view. The contest is not the place for that. Got it.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2016, 10:26:27 PM »
I don't remember seeing it in the thread, and I'm not sure people would enjoy it, but what if one month we get a open ended/vague ending sentence we all have to use. One for poetry and one short stories. It would technically spoil the ending, but it could be interesting to see all the different journeys for the same destination.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »
Still waiting for the "Dragon" month with trepidation.

Aye, only waited 15 months for it to happen, but it did!  :D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty