April 11, 2021, 11:31:54 PM

Author Topic: Contest Anthology 2016  (Read 23413 times)

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
Re: Contest Anthology 2016
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »
I gave my opinion already!!

You shouldn't be so quietly reserved be a loudmouth like umm m3m  ;D

LOUDMOUTH WHO'S A LOUDMOUTH I'M NOT A LOUDMOUTH!!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
Loudly assertive!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 12:55:17 AM »
Like what m3m's done very much, happy to be included as long as parodies give no offence but my 2 illustrations were taken from the google  real radio station so should not be used and the cat was from google  images so maybe should not be there either anyone's  big bossy cat would do. F-F can have my story gladly but not for Amazon at all.

Sorry to be brief but Christmas and  visitors have left me with exhaustion and flu but am indulging in audiobooks between drifting on and off to sleep today. waves weakly  :)
Asking you to give me equal rights implies that they are yours to give.  Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights all people deserve"  ~Elizabeth Peratrovich~

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2016, 01:07:25 AM »
Loudly assertive!

Not loud enough, he didn't increase font size.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 02:18:43 AM »
I don't feel like I need to strongly assert anything, so I'm happy with what I said, and too lazy to repeat myself.

I don't feel that strongly about the whole thing.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2016, 08:34:21 AM »
I don't feel like I need to strongly assert anything, so I'm happy with what I said, and too lazy to repeat myself.

I don't feel that strongly about the whole thing.

Lol you so funny!

Spoiler for Hiden:
you did realise I was joking I don't  think you reserved at all, I think you very confident in letting you views be known which is great.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:41:58 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
Oh I never doubted that. I thought you wanted more fire on this very topic, that's all!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2016, 12:32:41 PM »
I like it.

But:
- we need to know what @Overlord thinks and if he wants it or not
- we need to proofread/edit the stories. They have rough edges (that's in the nature of the content and to be expected) and need to be polished.
- we need to know if and what legal issues are or could be

There should be a small bio of every author and maybe a small description of our contest and of FF.
I like @Eclipse's idea with the old fashioned illustrations.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nestat

• Terry Goodkind's Biggest Fan
  • Ambient Mage
  • The world needs more ginger heroes!
    • nothingtree.wordpress.com
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
I don't mind FF using a story I published here in an anthology, as it's already publicly available on the site. I might want to edit it a bit though.

The US & UK are both signatories to the Berne Convention, which will cover copyright issues.

The issue of "free for prestige" is moot, because all the work has already been written for fun. We've already consented to its free publication... by publishing the work ourselves for free on the site.

As good practice, I think an author not being paid for the work should retain all rights to the work.

If all the authors agree to have their work included, can agree on whether it's free or paid-for, and who gets the money then there's no problem. I think the money can either go to support FF or to charity (my preference). We could even donate it somewhere like Cool Earth and contribute to supporting the important Amazon.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this." - Terry Pratchett

Offline SugoiMe

• Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 02:23:45 AM »
I'm just seeing this now @m3mnoch, so sorry for late reply (but is it so surprising I'm lagging in my replies? Seems to be a bad tend of mine. I'm not even gonna use busyness has an excuse). I like the anthology, don't mind my work being showcased.

My only comments, which you and some other people may have said already, is to edit the stories for little grammatical/spelling errors and fixing up formatting. When you're doing the formatting, double check to see how different sections between scenes look. Some have a funky design, and I spotted one with just an "*". If we're putting those scene breaks in there, they should probably be consistent (I like the little design).

Those are my two cents.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 02:36:14 AM »
Well said about the *

I'm one who uses them in stories because I have no idea if two Enters will have the double line break desired effect in formatting, so I just make it sure with an *

Actually, that's a good question to ask @m3mnoch ...

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
oh, absolutely.

when we for real assemble the book, we'd make sure everyone gets all the edits they want in there and the scene breaks are all consistent.

/thumbsup

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
It's a long thread, so pardon me if it's been considered and discarded, but has there been any talk of building the winning stories out? How much would be an issue, and I assume overall space is limited and perhaps only the top stories would fit. But I thought that many stories could be greatly enhanced with even a small (10-15%) extra space. Most of the critiques point to things the writer just had no room for. Just a thought.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
@The Gem Cutter,
For me, it would be too much to do that for this particular publication. I have a number of my T-F stories that deserve a build-out, and I'm starting to work on one of them. And mostly they aren't ones that would go in this snook.

Your overall point is right on the money. Writing for the 1,500 limit is a wonderful but often frustrating exercise. And one I plan to keep doing  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • About Me
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
yeah.  i think the most effort we can ask of folks would be some light editing.  expanded stories aren't as much an issue about space as they are about coordinating longer re-writes with half a dozen different authors and getting it done in a timely fashion.

personally, i would LOVE to see the custom monthly illustrations.  but, again, we're back at that dreaded triangle:  time, money, or quality -- pick two.