April 24, 2017, 04:31:21 AM

Poll

Should we try out anonymous submission next month?

Yes
6 (35.3%)
No
3 (17.6%)
Don't care
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: April 26, 2015, 02:46:31 PM

Author Topic: Anonymous submission?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Anonymous submission?
« on: April 05, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »
Is there any way for us to see how the votes are evolving? I can only see my own selections.
No, it's a secret since I believe it may influence the voting of others.
Have we ever thought about posting the stories themselves anonymously? Might be interesting to try once. But what I'd miss is knowing that someone new in the game, or someone who has posted a story in a while, etc.

I think the spread of the votes may influence other voters, not who posted which story.
Anonymous submission may still be interesting. What do you think?

We would handle it via personal message to me so that I'm the one posting all stories.
If you want to do this, we have to decide if I should post the stories when I get them or all in the end of the month.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
Re: Anonymous submission?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 03:15:53 PM »
If we were to try it, I would post them as they come. For me, it makes the contest feel alive rather than completely static.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
Don't really care either way, I'm not convinced it'd affect the voting at all. Might be too much hassle for what it's worth really, but I guess if you want to give it a go then that's no problem!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:14:12 AM »
I think it's worth doing. I'd personally prefer that all be posted on the one day as well, because that adds to the anonymity. People would also be on their honour to not tell others what they'd posted and to not vote for their own story. If xiagan doesn't want to handle it all himself we could share it around, I'd put my hand up for that. Personally I think it helps to preserve the integrity of the contest, and I think that's important as it seems to be becoming more popular.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
I voted 'don't care', because I vote for the best story, not my friends.

However, if it goes ahead, I second this:
If xiagan doesn't want to handle it all himself we could share it around, I'd put my hand up for that.
I also volunteer to be the 'master poster/organiser of stories', alternating months with others.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
If we were to try it, I would post them as they come. For me, it makes the contest feel alive rather than completely static.

It also gives people more time to read them. When I used to participate, if I didn't read them as they came in, I had a hard time "catching up".

But as I haven't had the time to join in in quite a while, don't weigh my opinion too heavily :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
Voted don't care, but more because I haven't been in this as long as you folks. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for all of us  :)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 03:32:49 AM »
Voted don't care, but more because I haven't been in this as long as you folks. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for all of us  :)
Same here -whatever you decide
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:49 AM »
I voted yes, for no other reason than, "why not?" I'm not convinced it'll effect (affect? I hate you word, please die) the voting, but we haven't done it in the time I've been on these forums, so why not give it a shot?

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:32:26 AM »
I voted yes, for no other reason than, "why not?" I'm not convinced it'll effect (affect? I hate you word, please die) the voting, but we haven't done it in the time I've been on these forums, so why not give it a shot?
Affect.

Happy to help.  8)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
OK, personally I voted "No" because I think it's an unnecessary hassle. How many new contributors wouldn't get through because of the odd proceedings?
Besides, I liked getting reviews and comments on my mini story and talking about it. I'd be sad to lose that potential.
Besides, people would then have to be nice and swear not to vote for themselves, but could we know they don't? Or that they wouldn't talk of their story via pm? Why make it a temptation?
Maybe I never realised how much of an issue friend-service was... is it really? Do people actually vote for their friends rather than their favourite story? I certainly wouldn't.
I think it would kill a lot of the fun. I like to evaluate who wrote what and have an idea of the style of everyone and would genuinely loath to have to re-read things while going up and down the forum to see who wrote each piece actually.

So yeah. I think it'd be a loss, I'm not up for it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Tags: