March 28, 2017, 05:17:43 AM

Poll

Should the stories for the October Writing Contest be submitted anonymously?

Yes, let's try this out! (Submit the stories when you get them.)
10 (47.6%)
Yes, let's try this out! (All stories should be submitted on the last day of the contest.)
3 (14.3%)
No, the contest is good as it is and the option to anonymously submit exists for those who want to.
8 (38.1%)
I don't care.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: September 29, 2016, 05:47:37 PM

Author Topic: Anonymous Submission  (Read 3566 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: Anonymous Submission
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2016, 03:56:16 AM »
Maybe we can agree that nobody is immune to (negative and positive) bias  but the impact on the contest is so small that it doesn't really matter (or balances out ;)).

There are thousands of factors like taste, current mood, author hit/missed the subject or formatting/typos that affect how one casts his vote more than who wrote it.

I still like to have anonymous submissions from time to time. :)

PS: Bradley, I'm a (cultural/social) anthropologist too! Not working in that field, though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:57:53 AM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Writing Group
  • Chrestomanci
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2016, 04:26:54 AM »

I still like to have anonymous submissions from time to time. :)

PS: Bradley, I'm a (cultural/social) anthropologist too! Not working in that field, though.

Really???? What do you do these days?

I usually work w NGOs but right now I'm just coming back from teaching an intensive course in applying anthropology to global problems-- tho my plane has been stuck on the tarmack in Denver w no un boarding in sight and my connecting flight left. They wanna send me to SF and then have a lay over there for 3 hrs... Heeeelllll naw

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2016, 06:26:30 AM »
There are thousands of factors like taste, current mood, author hit/missed the subject or formatting/typos that affect how one casts his vote more than who wrote it.
These are exactly what I base my votes on, not the author.

Maybe we can agree that nobody is immune to (negative and positive) bias  but the impact on the contest is so small that it doesn't really matter (or balances out ;)).
Yup.

Quote from: Saraband
We can sit here all day screaming why we are right and everyone else is wrong, or simply accept that there is no wrong or right here, it's simply a matter of personal opinion.
I'm getting to this point too. I think basically all arguments have been stated and we're now just kinda going around in circles, and maybe even getting upset :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:31 AM »

I usually work w NGOs but right now I'm just coming back from teaching an intensive course in applying anthropology to global problems-- tho my plane has been stuck on the tarmack in Denver w no un boarding in sight and my connecting flight left. They wanna send me to SF and then have a lay over there for 3 hrs... Heeeelllll naw
Getting sleepy, I misread that entirely. When I read "SF" I see "Special Forces", who employ a fair number of anthropologists and work with a lot of NGOs in rough places. Coupled with the "Heeeelll naw" I imagined an entirely different "they"  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
It looks like there's two camps 1) pro-Anonymous subs b/c bias and 2) anti-Anonymous subs b/c... don't care about bias. Maybe there should be a third camp... 3) Anyone else besides me not care about bias but still like Anon subs?

oooh!  oooh!  i think i'm a #3!

while i acknowledge bias, i don't care about it when it comes to the contest because i don't believe anyone here is manipulative about it -- i like the thought of an occasional, all-anonymous submission because it's fun.  but, if we do it all the time, it'll become less fun.

besides, i already know everyone here thinks i'm obviously the best writer ever and that i never miss big, glaring plot-holes or anything and they're only voting for other writers just to give them a chance.  and, i think that's really thoughtful of them.

[insert photo of me giggling like a schoolgirl here]

Offline Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
  we're now just kinda going around in circles

You being biased to circles there's other shapes you could use.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »
that being said, i've looked at a few as a qa step to make sure things were working correctly.  my favorite set of guesses?  the ones by "I'm so tempted to type m3mnoch here".

oh, yeah.  don't think i don't see you.

/squintyeye
Who on earth would do such a thing?

It looks like there's two camps 1) pro-Anonymous subs b/c bias and 2) anti-Anonymous subs b/c... don't care about bias. Maybe there should be a third camp... 3) Anyone else besides me not care about bias but still like Anon subs?

oooh!  oooh!  i think i'm a #3!

while i acknowledge bias, i don't care about it when it comes to the contest because i don't believe anyone here is manipulative about it -- i like the thought of an occasional, all-anonymous submission because it's fun.  but, if we do it all the time, it'll become less fun.
Same here - it's not a big deal either way, but anonymous is more fun. It'd probably get tiring if it was every time, so once every three months sounds perfect.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Writing Group
  • Chrestomanci
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2016, 05:35:46 PM »
Getting sleepy, I misread that entirely. When I read "SF" I see "Special Forces", who employ a fair number of anthropologists and work with a lot of NGOs in rough places. Coupled with the "Heeeelll naw" I imagined an entirely different "they"  ;D

Human Terrain Systems? Nooooooooooooooooo... not for me. What I do would be impossible if people thought I was connected to the US govt. (aaaand I'll do my best to be polite and keep my opinions of the quality of that work to myself), and I have had to spend way too many hours of my life convincing people I'm not CIA.

Much more harrowing that being a special forces anthropologist-- like the third flight I got put on was cancelled last night and I'm STILL stranded in Denver... no open seats on a flight until 10pm.  There's ice and snow and shit here, it's awful.  They're claiming it was the weather (and not the fact they had no deicer) so they didn't give us accommodation  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Peat

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
Since I was the most vocal/only member of camp 1, Bradley, I request a different phrasing: "pro-Anon subs b/c it's more objective."  This is in line with my original statement "I am not suggesting we are overrun by bias, I am suggesting we are not immune from it."

*shrugs* For what its worth, I was in camp 1 originally. I then switched to anti-Anonymous subs when it became clear that bias wasn't perceived as a big deal.

Insofar as I can tell, camp 3 is the majority view here.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
Oh well, after I got my master I decided against working in the field (reading about your job kinda makes me glad I did) and I'm the manager of a completely organic supermarket now. Has its downs too but is in general quite good.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Tags: