March 28, 2017, 05:17:09 AM

Poll

Should the stories for the October Writing Contest be submitted anonymously?

Yes, let's try this out! (Submit the stories when you get them.)
10 (47.6%)
Yes, let's try this out! (All stories should be submitted on the last day of the contest.)
3 (14.3%)
No, the contest is good as it is and the option to anonymously submit exists for those who want to.
8 (38.1%)
I don't care.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: September 29, 2016, 05:47:37 PM

Author Topic: Anonymous Submission  (Read 3564 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: Anonymous Submission
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 02:03:02 AM »
awww . . .  that makes me sad.

i think we, as a group, have mostly all moved on from fixing a broken contest to doing a fun experiment.  it started out with a worry about "the usuals" hoarding all the contest accolades and not letting anyone else get in on all the glamorous awards, but it feels like we're ending up in a place where we want to kind of gamify it for a month -- have fun with it and see what happens.

also, just in case you missed the sarcasm, eclipse was being funny about my comment.  i promise i never said i didn't believe people when they say they don't pick stories based on names.

it was actually this:
mostly, i was channeling my inner dialog over the last year when i would read jmack, tebakutis, or rukaio stories.  i'm like, "dammit.  that's in my top tier.  stop writing such good stories so i can vote for someone else!"

if anything, we're talking about unconsciously not voting for specific authors because they've already won so many times.  not the other way around.

*shrug*

Online Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 02:26:12 AM »
@m3mnoch, Grrrrr  of course I know you jest and that Eclipse was teasing, I read both threads through carefully. Fine to experiment and the democratic vote wins anyway.

My comment was because there must have been complaints or comments to make the need arise for either poll in the first place and that always sounds like sour grapes to me.  Raptori's super number fun shows those complaints are unjustified anyway.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 02:31:57 AM »
*whew*

i was terrified that i'd disappointed you.

really, that was it.

wasn't anything else.

nope.

nothing.

especially not all those toothy, firebreathing friends you have swooping around.

they weren't a concern at all.

*gulps*

*loosens collar*

*smiles weakly*

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 02:53:05 AM »
Is there something I'm missing about these contests? Is there a carrot involved? Or is it just all stick?  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 03:31:25 AM »
for you?  all stick!  hee-yah!

heh.

but, for reals, winners are posted on the front page of the main site:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2016/monthly-short-story-winner-known-title-unknown-story

we're currently a few months behind, but the website magicians are working their way through posting the winners.

so, the carrot is flagrant fame!

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 06:01:24 AM »
Glad I'm the poet and the world will never know it (HA!) Don't think I'd want all that attention.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Peat

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 06:14:52 AM »
Not voting yet but so far more convinced by Nora's arguments of it sucking fun out of the discussion thread than anything else.

Maybe the answer is two contests.

Offline Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 06:44:07 AM »
I think you trying to fix something which doesn't need fixing personally all this fuss from a throw away comment from the member nerf who couldn't be bothered to wait for the replies to his concerns.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
I think you trying to fix something which doesn't need fixing personally all this fuss from a throw away comment from the member nerf who couldn't be bothered to wait for the replies to his concerns.
Trying out anonymous submissions for one month is not "fixing" something in my eyes. It has no consequences and the relevance of different theme. It's just interesting to see what is different and why.

That comment would have fitted better in the other poll. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »
Ah, the two thread are very related, one springing from the other.

But yeah, I just hope people will realise our way of doing it right now works fine sooner than it took for the likes to come back.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Peat

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think my glib "Have another contest" answer might have mileage.

Lets say we add a Micro Fiction contest (100 words max) monthly with all entries anonymous.

We get

a) A better set of data for whether bias is affecting voting as we'd have an anonymous and non-anonymous vote every month (although not ideal comparables).

b) Another writing contest for experimenting in

c) The different format might sucker more people into the writing contests and people who start on the Micro might graduate to the current one

d) Another useful skill to learn

What we lose

A little focus I guess. That little bit more time. Possibly some other things.

Thoughts?
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 09:24:46 PM »
Hm. I think it's already hard to get one contest going (means: having enough stories and enough people voting for them to be fun), but finding a sufficient amount of people to write and vote in two contests a month?
My fear is that this would just mean that we get two contests with about five stories each and let's say seven voters each. Which isn't something I'd like to see...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Peat

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
Hm. I think it's already hard to get one contest going (means: having enough stories and enough people voting for them to be fun), but finding a sufficient amount of people to write and vote in two contests a month?
My fear is that this would just mean that we get two contests with about five stories each and let's say seven voters each. Which isn't something I'd like to see...

The writing contest hasn't dipped below 11 people since April. I'd be very surprised if having two very different contests cleanly split the contestant pool with nobody doing both. Its possible but would be a surprise. I think nobody doing the micro-fiction would be far more likely and I think launching it would require a decent show of interest. I'd be surprised if we couldn't find that here but if we can't, fair enough.

This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »

I think agree with xia. A lot of the folks submitting also have one or two other WIPs that they are working on. So making time to do both might be too time consuming and could result in someone submitting to one, but not both. Which would drop the steady number of entries. Just my opinion mind, but something to think about.

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:33 PM »
Buck up buttercups!

The Gem Cutter

Tags: