May 26, 2017, 05:42:08 PM

Poll

Should the stories for the October Writing Contest be submitted anonymously?

Yes, let's try this out! (Submit the stories when you get them.)
10 (47.6%)
Yes, let's try this out! (All stories should be submitted on the last day of the contest.)
3 (14.3%)
No, the contest is good as it is and the option to anonymously submit exists for those who want to.
8 (38.1%)
I don't care.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: September 29, 2016, 05:47:37 PM

Author Topic: Anonymous Submission  (Read 4315 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Anonymous Submission
« on: September 21, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
We have discussed this in the past and we do so now again in the other poll.
I'd like to try this one month to see what kind of effect it has. We can discuss and theorize as much as we want but we won't know until we try.

How would this work?

You would send your story formatted as you like in a PM to the Anonymous account. Writing/formatting a PM is the same as a post, so there are no big changes for you.

I will post all stories from the same account. I favor posting them as I get them (for more speculation fun and to see some progress in the contest), but if you think different you have the chance to vote for that above.

After voting expires, I'll edit the voting table and add the names to the stories IF you didn't write in your submission that you want to remain anonymous.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: Anonymous Submission
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
nice!  that was FAST!

oh, hey.  can we add another option?  "either a or b works for me!"?

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »
Was about to say this! Vaguely lean towards b myself, but it's not a major difference.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 05:56:04 PM »
Was about to say this! Vaguely lean towards b myself, but it's not a major difference.

you know what they say about great minds!

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
A or B work for me, but I'm leaning towards A on the basis that it'll be nice to have something to read every few days rather than a heavy dose at the end. (In theory )

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »

What, that m3mnoch has one?  :P

A or B work for me, but I'm leaning towards A on the basis that it'll be nice to have something to read every few days rather than a heavy dose at the end. (In theory )
Actually that's an excellent point. Big advantage for A there.

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »
I think it's insulting m3m that you don't believe people just vote for stories that there think are best so I'm never going to vote for you again  :P

I'm voting no but I don't mind the occasional Anonymous monthly contest just to see if my guesses are right about who wrote the tale
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:07:15 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
Shweet. Voted. Muahhahaha

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »
I think it's insulting m3m that you don't believe people just vote for stories that there think are best so I'm never going to vote for you again  :P
It wouldn't be that surprising if people took the author into account when voting. For example, say they could vote for three stories, and liked four entries equally, but one of them was from a writer who had won several times in a row. Even if it's not a conscious decision, they might be less likely to vote for the regular winner.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »

What, that m3mnoch has one?  :P

hahah!  cheater!

i've got no workable comeback for that!

nothing other than this, i guess:

Spoiler for Hiden:

no -- that they're delicious!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 06:20:38 PM »
Forgot to add that if I'm going to post them as they come every contestant would have two jokers to send me edits and I'll replace them in the submission.
Doesn't help if you want to do lots of minor edits but should catch the big typos.

I'm not adding the A/B works both for me-option. I want to have definite results and not something that will result in another poll. ;) If you are leaning to something, choose this and if you absolutely don't care just pick one.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 06:57:01 PM »
I'm voting no but I don't mind the occasional Anonymous monthly contest just to see if my guesses are right about who wrote the tale

funny enough, i'm super-excited about this part.  my plan is to read them, vote, then write up the handful of which ones i think are from whom, then computer-algorithm-ify them to try and detect who they actually were.

so much fun!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »
funny enough, i'm super-excited about this part.  my plan is to read them, vote, then write up the handful of which ones i think are from whom, then computer-algorithm-ify them to try and detect who they actually were.
so much fun!
I'm also excited. This sounds fun!

Having not composed a short story in more decades than some on this forum (and thread) have lived, I like the idea of an anonymous submission. Short form is hard for me, so I would like to not be associated with it if it sucks the big 'un.

I REALLY think that post-as-they-arrive is the way to go, as it forestalls instances of forgetting to submit, and doesn't shove a potential mountain of submissions into the PM's all at once. Fewer moving parts it seems to me.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 12:09:59 AM »
It wouldn't be that surprising if people took the author into account when voting. For example, say they could vote for three stories, and liked four entries equally, but one of them was from a writer who had won several times in a row. Even if it's not a conscious decision, they might be less likely to vote for the regular winner.

In which case this would make it even worse on the complaints that the same people always win?

I voted No, and I'm not excited: I dislike the idea of having to hide which story is mine for weeks, and don't see the point of it all. I don't mind trying it out but I believe it'll dampen a lot of the excitement, at least as far as I'm concerned.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 01:30:12 AM »

This ^

Rather sorry these two polls were needed.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Tags: