March 02, 2021, 02:42:34 PM

Author Topic: TBRcon21 - Jan 25-30  (Read 777 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
TBRcon21 - Jan 25-30
« on: January 10, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »
I discovered this online convention, it looks great!

https://fanfiaddict.com/tbrcon21/

I've already noted down 4 events that I'm looking forward to (with an extra 5th for the people in it, but less interesting because aimed at writers). Maybe more if I'm in the mood, maybe to discover new things.
I'm on holidays through most of that week so can attend the 3pm UK time events.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:39:40 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: TBRcon21 - Jan 25-30
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 02:56:04 PM »
Argh 11am EST is actually 4pm UK, I thought it was 3pm. Drats.
I could have done other things with friends but was always aiming for being busy at 3 :(

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 04:46:57 PM »
Gods, Goddess and Demigods sounds interesting!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 05:10:19 PM »
I'm watching the Experiential one and it's fab (mostly because I know all writers and they are SUPER entertaining) - the videos are available on the site later, too

Miles and Jeannette could speak for hours non-stop ;D

Offline HLTinsley

• Tribute
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
I've watched every panel so far and they've all been great. Anyone who missed Miles/Christian Cameron reclining on a sofa in a full suit of armour needs to catch up on Youtube. The discussions have all been great so far.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:41:01 AM »
I've watched every panel so far and they've all been great. Anyone who missed Miles/Christian Cameron reclining on a sofa in a full suit of armour needs to catch up on Youtube. The discussions have all been great so far.
And he was in a church basement room ;D

I updated the first post because they added a session on Friday on the Future of Fantasy - @isos81 see who's there ;D

Online isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
And he was in a church basement room ;D

I updated the first post because they added a session on Friday on the Future of Fantasy - @isos81 see who's there ;D

Ooooh, excellent news. Will definitely watch. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:32:23 PM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 08:41:19 PM »
@HLTinsley I enjoying hearing you!
I haven't seen it all yet, I interrupted to go have dinner hehe, but it was interesting.

However, I was a bit annoyed that many of the others put grimdark in opposition to an idea of fantasy that's a bit outdated, in my opinion... It felt they were just holding on to the extremes of each subgenre...

I'm currently watching the Future of Fantasy one, and I had no idea Devin was australian hehe

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 05:48:59 AM »
I'm currently watching the Future of Fantasy one, and I had no idea Devin was australian hehe
She is! I wandered up to her a few years ago at our local Melbourne con and had a lovely chat and bought her first book... and now she's taking off and it's great! :D

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 09:53:14 AM »
She is! I wandered up to her a few years ago at our local Melbourne con and had a lovely chat and bought her first book... and now she's taking off and it's great! :D
Do you think I'd like that one?

Offline HLTinsley

• Tribute
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »
@HLTinsley I enjoying hearing you!
I haven't seen it all yet, I interrupted to go have dinner hehe, but it was interesting.

However, I was a bit annoyed that many of the others put grimdark in opposition to an idea of fantasy that's a bit outdated, in my opinion... It felt they were just holding on to the extremes of each subgenre...

Thanks, it was so much fun and a great discussion. I had to keep quiet on that bit tbh purely because the majority of books I've read up until recently were pre-90s fantasy (Hobb/Donaldson etc.) so wasn't sure how much I could add to that bit. I was so happy Alan Moore got a mention though because I love his work!

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »
Do you think I'd like that one?

You might well! I DNFed it, but for reasons similar to why I stopped reading authors like Lawrence and Erikson, so Madson is in great company for you to enjoy her work! (This is Blood of Whisperers I'm talking about here - I haven't tried her new trad-published trilogy.)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:21:04 AM by cupiscent »

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
I really enjoyed the Writerly Advice panel with Stephen Aryan, RJ Barker, Nicholas Eames, Anna Stephens & Adrian Tchaikovsky :) I'll need to catch up with some of the others.

Devin is lovely! I met her properly in Dublin in 2019 and she was meant to be doing panels despite almost entirely losing her voice.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline HLTinsley

• Tribute
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »
The Writerly Advice panel was brilliant, it was so funny and interesting to hear what they all had to say. Anna Stephens was awesome, RJ Barker is hilarious, Adrian made so many good points and Stephen and Nicholas are both just really nice people. Stephen's podcast is great if you ever get chance to listen to it.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2021, 11:51:12 PM »
Hectic couple of days. Missed this. Are these recorded or in youtube or something?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6