July 19, 2019, 09:13:10 AM

Author Topic: Reddit's 2016 Top Fantasy Books of All Time  (Read 2038 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Reddit's 2016 Top Fantasy Books of All Time
« on: April 16, 2016, 07:05:42 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/4f1jfj/the_2016_top_rfantasy_novels_poll_results/

I think that's a fair list. Not all my favorites made it as high as I would've liked, but that's to be expected I guess. Thoughts?

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit's 2016 Top Fantasy Books of All Time
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
I know this is a link but I think it get more people in the Fantasy Book & Author Discussion

Quite amazing how many of those novels I've read  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:57:59 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »
Damn Pat Rothfuss does really well in things like this doesn't he? Definitely deserves it, a classic already it seems?

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 12:34:42 AM »
I am not going to bother with griping about the order as you will never have a list that tallies up with your opinions.  But what the heck is Worm by wildbow? And Mark Lawrence and Michael J Sullivan are surprisingly high as I suspect their sales are way below the other books around them.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:55:05 AM »
Worm is a web serial that's been around for several years now. I would read it, but I'm waiting for the published version to come out, after it's been editting. Plus, reading in my browser is uncomfortable.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »
Worm is a web serial that's been around for several years now. I would read it, but I'm waiting for the published version to come out, after it's been editting. Plus, reading in my browser is uncomfortable.
And it's way over a million words, let's say about 15-20 standard novels - that's serious commitment, so I'm a bit surprised that it did that well.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »
And it's way over a million words, let's say about 15-20 standard novels - that's serious commitment, so I'm a bit surprised that it did that well.

What happened with Worm is that someone posted in /r/parahumans asking people to vote for it. I don't think it's placement on the final is a good indication of its actual popularity but rather of its campaigning. It may have still made the list, but not at number 14.

I am not going to bother with griping about the order as you will never have a list that tallies up with your opinions.  But what the heck is Worm by wildbow? And Mark Lawrence and Michael J Sullivan are surprisingly high as I suspect their sales are way below the other books around them.

What's funny is there was surprise they didn't rank higher. There are a lot of fans for both those authors at r/fantasy.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:48:18 AM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 12:08:59 PM »
I also like Various KJ Parker novels as a choice.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »

What's funny is there was surprise they didn't rank higher. There are a lot of fans for both those authors at r/fantasy.
Yeah, I'm really shocked about riyria the most. I thought that would've been a few higher. Awesome series, and super popular.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm really shocked about riyria the most. I thought that would've been a few higher. Awesome series, and super popular.

Really?  More popular than series like Feist's Riftwars, and LeGuin's Earthsea which have been around for decades, and have sold millions of copies?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
I honestly have no idea what Riftwars is. I think I've heard someone mention the name once or twice, but that's it. And it's not in the top of the list, so that's not what I was trying to say. Based on that list, I would put it either above or below The Broken Empire. Seems more natural there.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 05:35:21 PM »
I honestly have no idea what Riftwars is. I think I've heard someone mention the name once or twice, but that's it. And it's not in the top of the list, so that's not what I was trying to say. Based on that list, I would put it either above or below The Broken Empire. Seems more natural there.

I guess it shows that your average Reddit poster is in their 20s, and only really aware of fantasy that has been published in the last 10 to 20 years, or been in a film or tv series.  God, I sound as old as @Jmack

Get off my lawn and go and read some Raymond E Feist!  *shaking fist*

The Real Powers That Be