January 18, 2021, 10:05:01 AM

Author Topic: Where is your name from?  (Read 279 times)

Offline fantasybyrd

Where is your name from?
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:59:02 PM »
Hey there,

So I’ll go first and look forward to hopefully finding out more about some of you 😊

I write by the name Joel Byrd and love anything fantasy, hence fantasybyrd. Simple, I grant, but the pen name might have a better story. Joel is the name of a close but late relative, and Byrd, a composer who famously completed his work in isolation, something that may reflect our current time perhaps! And fantasybyrd seemed like a good Instagram handle to help me get off the ground with marketing my debut novel. Where does your name come from?

Perhaps unoriginally, Avatar: The Last Airbender sparked my fantasy interests many years ago, and my desire to watch and read anything fantasy has snowballed in the best way ever since. I love to read it, watch it, talk it but mostly write it 😊 many short stories down the line now, I’m currently working on my debut novel - a blind fantasy action adventure, The Song of the Spirits. I’d love to hear how all of you came to be a part of this community 😊

Offline Bender

Re: Where is your name from?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 01:40:25 AM »
Welcome Joel!

My username is name of an "alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler" robot from the series Futurama.

Earliest books I remember are Enid Blyton's Famous Five, Secret Seven and the like. Then Hardy Boys, Perry Mason and moved to Crichton, Clancy, Forsythe etc before moving into fantasy and sci-fi. Raymond Feist, Gemmell.....and ended up a reading addict.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:24:47 AM »
Mine comes from the graphic novel High Society, one of the many novels that makes up Dave Sim's massive Cerebus work. One of the characters in that is the Regency Elf, a mischievous elf who inhabits the Regency Hotel in the city state of Iest. I quite liked her, so I adapted/adopted her name.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline isos81

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 05:56:10 AM »
My name is combination of my real name and birth year.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:31 AM »
Welcome to the forums!
I'm glad you already started posting, feel free to post anywhere, even older threads. We've got a very good section for writers, and ask at will.

Also, you might like to participate in our monthly contest, hehe

My name is a combination of my favourite colour (and what I used as my colour in the (very old) Suede chatroom) and my name.

My username is name of an "alcoholic, whore-mongering, chain-smoking gambler" robot from the series Futurama.
So totally like your real self, right? ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »
My name is from the twilight series as I’m a huge fan of supernatural love triangle romances.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 09:22:53 AM »
My username sprang up onto the insides oy my eyelids one day in glorious brown playbill font, so I just ... went with it. It sounds kind of writerly, I think.
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Cherie

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
Er... mine's my actual name!

Offline Bender

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »
So totally like your real self, right? ;D

I haven't whore-mongered....yet.  ;D
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Bridgeburner
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 07:12:30 PM »
My name comes from my name!  ;D

When I started taking my writing more seriously I went out and dug up some book/writing forums to hang out on. I decided to register with my real name because it's the one I wanted to use for publishing, and I felt it made sense if people knew me by that name in these circles.

Offline fantasybyrd

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! It’s great to hear from a few of you. Gotta love Bender the alcoholic whore-mongering robot especially 😄