September 18, 2019, 02:58:00 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246910 times)

Offline RAK

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #870 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:15 AM »
Whoops!  Posted a couple of time already before I saw this thread!  Richard Knaak here.  I've  enjoyed fantasy and SF, especially SF, for as long as I could read.  I've been fortunate enough to have been published several times, but still enjoy finding other authors to read!

Looks like a great forum on a great site!

Offline Janaki

« Reply #871 on: July 21, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »
Hi, I'm new here ... ;)

Nickname Janaki
Age 47
SciFi-; Fantasy- and History-Fan (both real and alternate)
occasional chess player

more ... maybe later ;)
So now you are with the head through the wall - and what will you do in the next cell? (S. J. Lec)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #872 on: July 21, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
Hey there Janaki and RAK, and any others I missed. Kick back, have some fun, and enjoy your stay!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline shadowsherald

« Reply #873 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:54 PM »
Hey, I'm Jack, from the UK.

I'm a massive fan of epic fantasy and historical fiction, and have a few manuscripts at first draft stage, as well as one, The Shadow's Herald (hence the username :)) on the point of being sent out to literary agents.

Really enjoying the site so far, cheers!
'Throughout your life advance daily, becoming more skillful than yesterday, more skillful than today. This is never-ending.' - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, In the Shadow of the Leaves.

https://jackbeaman.wordpress.com/

Offline The Lily of Loch Lorinne

« Reply #874 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:51 AM »
Really? I do =really- have to do this? <sigh>

Fine.

I grew up with comic books, drama club and SF&F courtesy of older brothers. I read fantasy, paranormal, some of that not fantasy stuff and fantasy romance. I adore Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard Series. I write fantasy with rom elements and don't have writers in my local group who "get fantasy." So, I thought I poke around here and hopefully find some like-minded souls.

That's it for now.
Current WIP : Cards of Calling
                     Book I of the Arcana Chronicles

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #875 on: July 24, 2014, 04:11:36 AM »
Hey shadowsherald! Congrats on the books. Hope your querying goes well. That's the biggest thing I hate. ;)

And howdy TLoLL! Glad to have another Scott Lynch around here. (And I notice your username has the same initials as his debut. Coincidence? I think not!) :)
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Mytherea

« Reply #877 on: August 04, 2014, 02:37:09 AM »
Hi, everyone. I've been following the Fantasy-Faction website for awhile now, reading the articles and such. And I noticed there was a post about a book club here that was reading a book I just picked up and was intending to read. It's far more fun to read with others, so I figure, what the heck? Might as well join and have fun here, right?

Anyway, I've been reading Fantasy and Science Fiction for most of my life and it seems to have had an effect on my brain, 'cause now I write it. Still working on the whole "being published" bit. That might take awhile.

Happy to be here!

Offline Timothy L. Cerepaka

« Reply #878 on: August 30, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
'Sup, y'all. I'm Timothy L. Cerepaka, a fantasy indie writer and author of the currently ongoing "Prince Malock World" series of fantasy novels.

Besides writing fantasy books, I also love to read them. One of my favorite fantasy series is Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress series (though I haven't yet read the whole thing yet, sadly). Really funny and well-written. Great fun.
Visit my website: Timothy L. Cerepaka
Subscribe to my mailing list: Newsletter

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #879 on: August 31, 2014, 01:59:11 AM »
Hey Tim (and I suppose Mytherea, because no one ever responded to your initial post)! Great to have you on board - I'm sire you'll find many kindred spirits with whom you can discuss your various writing and publishing woes works. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline MadLogcian

« Reply #880 on: September 07, 2014, 03:01:51 AM »
'Sup, y'all. I'm Timothy L. Cerepaka, a fantasy indie writer and author of the currently ongoing "Prince Malock World" series of fantasy novels.

Besides writing fantasy books, I also love to read them. One of my favorite fantasy series is Rachel Aaron's Eli Monpress series (though I haven't yet read the whole thing yet, sadly). Really funny and well-written. Great fun.

Hi!  I'm Andrew, a fellow Monpress fan.  You have some story twists ahead of you!  You might also like to investigate the same author's SF trilogy, published under then name rachel Bach.

I'm still on a high from attending Loncon3!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #881 on: September 14, 2014, 04:33:07 AM »
Little late, but hey MadLogcian! And Timothy! (Really need to read Eli Monpress; love me some thieves). And Mytherea and SarahW. (Seconding the Book Club. They're awesome.) And all the new members! Y'all are awesome. Really.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #882 on: September 14, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »
Really? I do =really- have to do this? <sigh>

Fine.

I grew up with comic books, drama club and SF&F courtesy of older brothers. I read fantasy, paranormal, some of that not fantasy stuff and fantasy romance. I adore Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard Series. I write fantasy with rom elements and don't have writers in my local group who "get fantasy." So, I thought I poke around here and hopefully find some like-minded souls.

That's it for now.
Sorry I'm a bit late, you don't have to do it, but it's nice if you do. I'm another Scott Lynch fan. I was lucky enough to meet him, get him to sign my copy of Lies and hear him read the opening chapter of The Thorn of Emberlain at Worldcon. Tip, if you ever do meet him, don't get him confused with Jim Butcher. Not that I did, but he said it's been happening recently and he can't work out why, being that Scott is fair and over 6' foot and Jim is dark and dreams of being 6'. He thinks Butcher may be messing with him.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #883 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »
I usually don't write in threads like this, but I think here it might be appropriate.

I've grown up on sci-fi and fantasy, with my parents reading me and my brother The Hobbit and almost the whole Michael Ende canon even before I went to school, and I can't remember a time when we didn't watch Star Trek five days a week. I started reading sci-fi novels for grown ups when I was 10 and my brother even younger. A life without swords and spaceships is unthinkable, it's all I've ever known.
I've been working on fantasy stuff for about the past 10 years, however most of it being roleplaying game material in some form or another. However, it's a medium in which most stuff remains only in your own head with a very small audience only getting to see a small part of it. I am also not the type of person who can stick long to a single work without getting some relatively quick payback from it. A few years ago I first read Lovecraft and this year picked up Robert Howard for the first time, and their format of writing seems like something that might actually work for me. Writing novel-length was something I pretty soon realized wasn't going to work for me.
Since I know absolutely nothing about the formal categories of literature critics and the like, I was looking around for some quick and easy advice on what common beginners mistake not to make when writing fantasy stories. And I have to say, this one really stands out for not being just a brief list of common sense items for people who are completely unfamiliar with fantasy literature.
I am currently broadening my horizon a bit more by reading some Fritz Leiber and maybe Moorcock, and then I'll be diving in into the actual work of getting a first complete story written down. The writers advice section here seems like a great place to ask people when I get stuck on something.

Offline Boo

« Reply #884 on: September 21, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
Hello there! I'm a refugee from the SFX forum, which is due to have the plug pulled on it at the end of the month. Sadness! But hopefully I shall make a few new friends here :)

Intrepid Book Correspondent for GeekPlanetOnline