September 17, 2019, 02:15:45 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246776 times)

Offline Charlemagne

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #810 on: August 08, 2013, 02:57:50 AM »
Hey Manticorine! Welcome to the forum, and we hope you enjoy your stay! FF is really the best genre forum out there, if you're looking for people interested in SFF... there's really no better place! :D
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Bloody Nine

• Seeker
  • You can never have too many knives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 08, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »
Hello everyone.

Somewhat fresh fantasy reader here(if you don't count the LOTR and Dragonlance days way back), thanks GOT and Mr. Martin I guess.  :D

Currently munching through Abercrombie(just about finishing the trilogy) and I absolutely love it. It's probably just the enthusiasm of a first read, but at times I think, man this is so good, it beats ASOIAF.

Anywho, nice to have found this place and cheers!  ;)
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

Offline spoonofmilk

« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
Howdy all

Finally signed up after seeing the book club threads appear on Twitter via various follows. A lover of both fantasy and sci-fi, I'm always on the lookout for something new to fill the void between regular author releases.

Currently on the Eagerly Anticipating List are Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch and Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding... and whatever Neal Stephenson is going to release next!

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #813 on: August 19, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »
Welcome! Glad you found us and hope you to see you join in the book clubs.  ;D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Emzilyn

« Reply #814 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
Hello all!

Like spotofmilk, I found out about Fantasy Faction from twitter. I only joined a few weeks ago, but finding this place is worth it! :)

I like both science fiction and fantasy. I'm currently inundated with books from the library and friends, and cannot decide whether to read Dust by Elizabeth Bear, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, or reread Perseus Spur by Julian May first...

See you on the boards!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 27, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Oh those lucky days when I had only three books to decide from what to read next... ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rebekah Loper

« Reply #816 on: September 01, 2013, 11:40:50 PM »
Hi! *waves shyly*

Er... I'm new here, obviously. Been following the Fantasy Faction blog for quite a while, and decided that I should hop in at the forum, too.

I adore fantasy, and have been reading it for as long as I can remember. I enjoy sci-fi, too, but where with fantasy I can read almost anything (with the exception of urban fantasy - I can't stand that for some reason), I'm much pickier with sci-fi.

I'm looking forward to getting to know some new people!
Surviving with a cup of tea in one hand, and a book in the other.

Offline Midn8fox

« Reply #817 on: September 03, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
Hi everyone.

Pretty much also been reading the fantasy faction site for a few months now and decided to join in on the forum side.

Only started reading fantasy books last year and have been on a non-stop rollercoaster since then. Working through all the amazing authors and hope to discover even more by listening to all your recommendations.

Cheers

Offline JoeBrewing

« Reply #818 on: September 16, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Wow, I really thought I had already registered on these forums and introduced myself. I guess I hadn't. Well here I am now. My name is Joe Donahue. I work a day job as a computer programmer. I own a small brewery that I'm currently in the process of finding a new home for. I also am a wannabe writer and getting ready to self publish a fantasy novel I've been working on involving angels and demons. Don't worry, I don't plan on just using this community as a medium to push my novel. I don't believe that would be fun for either of us and highly doubt it would lead any of you to wanting to read my novel. I did, however, stumble upon this site in the search for places where I could broaden my web presence in the fantasy writing community. I hope to be able to partake in all manners of discussions and get to know each and every one of you. Unfortunately, my time to interact on forums such as these with a day job, business, wife and almost two year old daughter is quite limited. None the less, I look forward to hopefully becoming a valuable asset to this community.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 21, 2013, 01:57:36 AM »
Hi everyone
I was born and grew up in UK but now I live in Australia. Just found this amazing forum through Twitter and am thrilled to find so much to explore. Grew up loving fantasy from LOTR, David Eddings, Raymond Feist, Dragonlance etc and all the quest classics. Now hooked on urban fantasy, especially Ben Aaronovitch, Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne. Just now reading The Name of The Wind and loving it.    Good to be here. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #820 on: September 21, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »
G'day Lady Ty, always nice to have another Aussie based poster here. I have to say as a fan of Ben Aaronovitch's Folly books, I love the name. We have an urban fantasy section here, you'd be a welcome visitor to it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
G'day Lady Ty, always nice to have another Aussie based poster here. I have to say as a fan of Ben Aaronovitch's Folly books, I love the name. We have an urban fantasy section here, you'd be a welcome visitor to it.
Thanks for the G'day, Elfy, also pleased to see another Aussie and an Asterix fan around. :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2013, 01:48:39 AM »
Thanks for the G'day, Elfy, also pleased to see another Aussie and an Asterix fan around. :)
Oh yes the avatar. There's a story behind that. I used to be a tiger after the Mighty Richmond Tigers, but in the end decided an old pirate suited me better.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Geckomayhem

« Reply #823 on: September 22, 2013, 03:32:19 AM »
Greetings, my name is Tim and I've wanted to become a writer for many years. I've planned all sorts of things but never put aside any real time to actually start writing the few novels I have in mind. I came across an article on this site that mentioned the possibility of writing 500 words a day in 10-20 minutes, and turning that into 150K words in less than a year.

Well, I'd like to try and put my mind to it in amongst my busy family/study schedule. It's hard enough finding time to do any reading, but if I intend to be serious about this, there's no time like the present to start really fleshing out my first novel.

So, here's to letting the creative juices flow as I aim to type 500 words a day (after I've made digital and correlated my planning thus far). I just have to remember that no matter how poorly my first work turns out, it's all part of the journey towards becoming a published novelist. ;)

My first step: deciding which story to tell first!

Offline steve harvey

« Reply #824 on: September 22, 2013, 05:17:18 AM »
Hi. I just joined the site, mostly to promote my newly revised novel "A Conspiracy of Wizards," now re-published in e-book form and available for Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F07YZOK). While I grew up as a fantasy and Sci-Fi fan, my novel is in many ways more informed by classical and world history and classical and world mythology, along with an interrelated set of academic paradigms across several disciplines.

I lived my life as if I were in training to write the kind of novel I wanted to write. The short version is that I spent most of my 20s drifting around the world, most of my 30s studying and teaching sociology (but also developing the novel, the world and underlying theme and characters and basic plot), a year in my late 30s living alone in a cabin in national forest wilderness by a small river in the mountains of Northern New Mexico writing the first draft of the novel (and the rest of my late 30s in Albuquerque teaching and studying some more), my early 40s in Mazatlan Mexico writing the final draft, and the last eleven years in the Denver area teaching high school, going to law school, running for office, doing public policy research and analysis, and revising my novel one more time for re-release as an e-book.

In many ways, the novel is me and I am the novel (even though it also has a life of its own and is, I believe, far bigger than me). Though I married while in Mazatlan and now have a ten year old daughter who is the center of my universe, the novel remains another kind of progeny more closely bound up with my own identity, that trace we leave that is uniquely our own to weave itself into the tapestry of the future, of ongoing human history and the growth of human consciousness.

I hope many of you --all of you-- will buy and read my novel, which I described at length in the forum for self-published authors. It truly is very special. Thanks.