October 17, 2019, 07:37:51 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 258447 times)

Offline Frog

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #705 on: October 18, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »
Wow, this thread is kind of tucked toward the bottom.

<adopt Alcoholics Anonymous mantra-repeating voice>

Hi, my name is Frog, and I'm a fantasy fan.

</end stupid joke>

I've loved fantasy books since I was in the sixth grade.  Now I'm in my mid-thirties.  By day, I'm a practicing attorney, by night I read and write fantasy.  My wife and I have our first novel published with Sky Warrior Books, and several short stories as well.  I'm happy to be here.

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #706 on: October 18, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »
Hey Frog, welcome to Fantasy Faction! You'll find that stupid-sounding jokes are really the norm here, so I believe you'll fit right in with the rest of us!  :D Here you'll find people to match your love of fantasy, and if you're interested, really help your writing. A book published is an achievement to be proud of, so congratulations!

I hope you find your stay enjoyable!
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline ja5p

« Reply #707 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:45 PM »
hey, im ja5p! found this website through google, and so far I'm excited to find what seems like endless recommendations of books to read.

Although lately I've become a UF/PR junkie (butcher, harrison, briggs, hunter, among others), it's cool to find fans who love the fantasy/scifi genre. I'm not as hardcore as ya'll, but maybe ya'll will sway me further down that path!

well that’s me spiel, later :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #708 on: October 20, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »
Welcome ja5p, if you like UF and PR, we have a dedicate UF forum that you may find of interest.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 21, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
hey, im ja5p! found this website through google, and so far I'm excited to find what seems like endless recommendations of books to read.

Although lately I've become a UF/PR junkie (butcher, harrison, briggs, hunter, among others), it's cool to find fans who love the fantasy/scifi genre. I'm not as hardcore as ya'll, but maybe ya'll will sway me further down that path!

well that’s me spiel, later :)

Hi Ja5P! You like Ben Aaronvitch?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

</end stupid joke>

I've loved fantasy books since I was in the sixth grade.  Now I'm in my mid-thirties.  By day, I'm a practicing attorney, by night I read and write fantasy.  My wife and I have our first novel published with Sky Warrior Books, and several short stories as well.  I'm happy to be here.

Hi Frog.  Nice to have a wife and husband writing team here! Who are your favourite writers?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #711 on: October 22, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »
Welcome to all our new members! We hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Offline ja5p

« Reply #712 on: October 22, 2012, 05:25:56 AM »
Hi Ja5P! You like Ben Aaronvitch?

never read any of his work, but rivers of london is on my list after hearing good stuff about it on this site

& thanks for the welcomes :-)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #713 on: October 22, 2012, 05:58:27 AM »
Give Aaronovitch a look ja5p, he's very good.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline K.Trian

• This user has been banned
  • Night Angel
  • I shop for soft drinks mostly at night... mostly.
    • View Profile
    • T. K. Trian's Literary World
« Reply #714 on: October 22, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »

</end stupid joke>

Hi Frog.  Nice to have a wife and husband writing team here! Who are your favourite writers?

Hi Frog! That sounds awesome. So you and your wife collaborate on your novels and stories? I happen to be writing with my husband too (granted, the ever-sweet the_hound there has doubted the authenticity of our marriage which sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside), he's under the name T. Trian here. Anyways, nice knowing there are other wife&husband writing teams around!

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #715 on: October 22, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »

</end stupid joke>

Hi Frog! That sounds awesome. So you and your wife collaborate on your novels and stories? I happen to be writing with my husband too (granted, the ever-sweet the_hound there has doubted the authenticity of our marriage which sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside), he's under the name T. Trian here. Anyways, nice knowing there are other wife&husband writing teams around!

You know all other parties have put this incident behind them, yes? Stop bringing it up if you don't want to appear like silly little children and get yourselves in more trouble.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline K.Trian

• Night Angel
  • I shop for soft drinks mostly at night... mostly.
    • View Profile
    • T. K. Trian's Literary World
« Reply #716 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:06 AM »

</end stupid joke>

I've loved fantasy books since I was in the sixth grade.  Now I'm in my mid-thirties.  By day, I'm a practicing attorney, by night I read and write fantasy.  My wife and I have our first novel published with Sky Warrior Books, and several short stories as well.  I'm happy to be here.

Hi Frog.  Nice to have a wife and husband writing team here! Who are your favourite writers?

You know all other parties have put this incident behind them, yes? Stop bringing it up if you don't want to appear like silly little children and get yourselves in more trouble.

Oh, too early to joke about it, yes? It takes down to live down some hilarious things, sowwie  :'( (I posted it before we PMed about forum rules and stuff, I apologize)

EDIT: also, the situation was just too juicy so I couldn't help myself. We're all humans right with our flaws and all that ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:31:37 AM by K.Trian »

Offline T.Trian

• Shadow Op
  • Overly Pompous Bastard
    • View Profile
    • T.K.Trian's blog
« Reply #717 on: October 22, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »

</end stupid joke>

Hi, Frog, and welcome!

It'd be fun to compare notes on how we write as couples and how having another person collaborate on joint stories affects the writing process.

Welcome to all the other new folks as well!
Oh my God! I care so little, I almost passed out!
-Dr. Cox

Some reading for ya folks!

Offline davefelger

« Reply #718 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:04 PM »
thank you ever so much for the very warm welcome,fallen one and elfy. i have read some of the return of the reaper and have enjoyed it a lot, terrific writing!

i'm not being cheeky but to tell you the truth i haven't just felt comfortable posting my thoughts here yet because i've been reading a lot and the atmosphere has been just a little bit on the mental side. to be frank,i feel really uncomfortable when i see a clique of older members hassle newer members. no apologies given. the welcome some folks have gotten here have made me think if i say one wrong word, i'll have the whole bloody gang chewing me up. i'm telling you, if that happened to me, i'd just leave because i came here to find a nice community. being depressed it's very hard for me to connect with others and now i'm afraid even i'll be ridiculed for saying these things.okay, i said it, come what may.
'To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.'
William Shakespeare

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
thank you ever so much for the very warm welcome,fallen one and elfy. i have read some of the return of the reaper and have enjoyed it a lot, terrific writing!

i'm not being cheeky but to tell you the truth i haven't just felt comfortable posting my thoughts here yet because i've been reading a lot and the atmosphere has been just a little bit on the mental side. to be frank,i feel really uncomfortable when i see a clique of older members hassle newer members. no apologies given. the welcome some folks have gotten here have made me think if i say one wrong word, i'll have the whole bloody gang chewing me up. i'm telling you, if that happened to me, i'd just leave because i came here to find a nice community. being depressed it's very hard for me to connect with others and now i'm afraid even i'll be ridiculed for saying these things.okay, i said it, come what may.

Not cheeky at all.  It was a bit more complicated than that.  Let's just say there was a bit of a culture clash?  A good thread to start on is What Are You Currently Reading, and then look for your favourite authors on the author section or your favourite book on the Book Specific section.  And please join in with the Book Club, a great way to settle in.  Hope you can get past the mad week that just happened and enjoy your time here!
The Real Powers That Be