September 18, 2019, 06:23:41 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246868 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »

@Elfy - thanks.   Not yet seen the show, vaguely on my to-look-out-for list.  Will put it on my active list (so to speak).  Seeing fencing done well is always pleasing.  (On which subject, have you seen the Princess Bride?)
Both read the book and seen the film. It's one my wife's favourite films, she can quote entire slabs of it. Reading the book is a vastly different experience to see the film, and if you haven't done it, I'd recommend it. If you like fencing you could give Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves a try, the author is a fencer himself and his descriptions of the fights are excellent.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:55 AM »
Actually, I've been meaning to read some more science fiction, so I'd be cool if you recommended some to me. You could just Private Message them or just post here, btw. ;D

Everything Isaac Asimov ever wrote. That should keep you busy for a few years.
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Wulfen

« Reply #692 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
Hello, new guy here! My name is Chris, I'm 41-years-old, been married for the past 17 years, and we have two boys. I've been writing on and off ever since I was about twelve or so, and now that I'm getting older I realize the time is now. Currently working on a novel project, although I also love jumping into contests and writing prompts. I'm not sure how I missed this place, to be honest!

I of course also love to read fantasy and science fiction; my favorites include: pretty much anything by Joe Abercrombie, Armor by Jon Steakley, Game of Thrones, Mark Lawrence's excellent Prince/King of Thorns, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, and The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. There's many others, but wanted to give a taste of what sorts of books I like.

I work in IT, and on my off-hours I do lots of family stuff, and also game a bit. Not so much RPG's any more, but many tabletop miniatures, board and card games.

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »
I work in IT, and on my off-hours I do lots of family stuff, and also game a bit. Not so much RPG's any more, but many tabletop miniatures, board and card games.

Unfortunately, every time someone says "IT", I automatically think "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :(

Congratulations on your initiative, and welcome to our humble corner of cyberspace! If you want people to comment on your work, feel free to post excerpts at the "Work to be critiqued" section. If, on the other hand, you wish to comment on other people's work, feel free to do so, everyone here appreciates some feedback!

Offline Wulfen

« Reply #694 on: October 11, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »

Unfortunately, every time someone says "IT", I automatically think "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" :(

Congratulations on your initiative, and welcome to our humble corner of cyberspace! If you want people to comment on your work, feel free to post excerpts at the "Work to be critiqued" section. If, on the other hand, you wish to comment on other people's work, feel free to do so, everyone here appreciates some feedback!

Ah yes, the fun we have in IT. I'm a network and system engineer, but I know what you're talking about. :)

I absolutely plan on contributing to the forum for both critiques and feedback. Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #695 on: October 11, 2012, 11:32:15 PM »
Welcome Chris, I'm also an IT worker, and The IT Crowd has a lot to answer for. It is however stunningly accurate. I used to work with a guy who I am convinced they modelled the character of Roy on.

Offline K.Trian

• This user has been banned
  • Night Angel
  • I shop for soft drinks mostly at night... mostly.
    • View Profile
    • T. K. Trian's Literary World
« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »
Hi, everyone! We're T.K.Trian, a pseudonym for two writers, Katri and Toni, and we're here to find new info, "meet" new people, and generally have a good time.

We've both written since we were kids but it wasn't until about after a year or so after we'd started dating that we attempted writing a novel together. I, Toni, was hesitant at first because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and my band mates (jokingly of course) call me Führer because I sometimes drive them pretty hard to get all the parts perfect but as it turned out, Katri and myself were a perfect match not only as a couple but as writers; our strengths complement and fulfill each others' weaknesses and together we almost make one half-decent author. ;D

We've finished around a dozen books of about 100 000 - 150 000 words each. We realize it's more than many authors produce over their entire careers but writing is what we live and breathe, we write a few hours every single day simply because, well, you know the urge when you need to get something out, some new idea, concept, even a character? It doesn't matter that we don't get paid, it's just something we have to do and so far the stories just keep coming.

Presently we're proof-reading our flagship called Solus, a mix of military sci-fi and space opera, so as to smooth out the inevitable wrinkles one finds with every single reread. Please feel free to check out the first part at our blog.

Anyway, that's all about I can think of right now so it's time for us to go roam the pages of Fantasy Faction. Later, gals, guys!

-Toni & Katri

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #697 on: October 13, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
Welcome to FF forums, you two. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline JakeTheCyborg

« Reply #698 on: October 16, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
Hey I'm JakeTheCyborg (Just call me Jake or Borg.) ! :)

Ever since I've been in a wheelchair, I've been reading Fantasy and Science Fiction. For me, reading speculative fiction helped me stave off the sadness I had for not being able to run and play. My readings eventually inspired me to write, and I've been writing since the tender age of ten. (I'm currently working on a novel, and I've had one short story published in Fantasy Short Stories Issue 1.)

As for my favorite authors, this would be a very long post if I mentioned them all, lol. I like Tolkien, Brooks, King, Herbert, Howard, Moorcock, McKiernan, Stoker, Burroughs, Salvatore, Weiss & Hickman, Goodkind and many more. :)

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #699 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »
Hey I'm JakeTheCyborg (Just call me Jake or Borg.) ! :)

Ever since I've been in a wheelchair, I've been reading Fantasy and Science Fiction. For me, reading speculative fiction helped me stave off the sadness I had for not being able to run and play. My readings eventually inspired me to write, and I've been writing since the tender age of ten. (I'm currently working on a novel, and I've had one short story published in Fantasy Short Stories Issue 1.)

As for my favorite authors, this would be a very long post if I mentioned them all, lol. I like Tolkien, Brooks, King, Herbert, Howard, Moorcock, McKiernan, Stoker, Burroughs, Salvatore, Weiss & Hickman, Goodkind and many more. :)

Welcome to the site. That's a really great story, man. I've also been writing since I was 10 to alleviate the boredom and to do something with my time since, I, too, was not able to run with the other kids. (Lived in a foreign country and was not allowed to go outside without any supervision.)

Of course, that is nowhere near the same as your situation, and it's really quite admirable that you aren't depressed like some of the other people I've met that were on the wheelchair.

I hope you enjoy your stay, Mr. Cyborg. ;D
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline B R Sanders

« Reply #700 on: October 17, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »
Hi! I'm Bandrs. I'm 28 and in Denver, CO. I've got a kid and an awesome family.

I've been writing consistently for the last 7 years and have a handful of unpublished fantasy novels completed, some of them even revised. I feel like it's time to start putting myself out there and making connections to other writers. The vacuum starts to get lonesome after awhile.

I would LOVE to get involved in some group writing projects or trade manuscripts for critiques!

The last awesome spec fic book I read was The Shadow Speaker.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #701 on: October 17, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
Glad to have you, Bandrs. I would recommend the Work to Be Critiqued board. It helped me immensely as a writer. Makes some friends over there and you might be able to get them to review your whole manuscript. Good luck to you and hope you have a great time on here. :)
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline davefelger

« Reply #702 on: October 18, 2012, 12:53:40 AM »
good day all. my name is david felger but please call me dave. i write as a hobby to help with my depression. i used to sell home appliances, mostly hoovers but since i got depressed i had to quit the job and go on the dole. so now i live alone in my flat with my pet budgie, jeeves and spend most of my days watching telly (especially soccer on espn, i am something of a lions fan though i don't go to the games in person but i watch them all on my telly) and writing fiction. i love tolkien and eddings but my favorite author is still ol' willie. his writings have kept me going through some hard times. my favorite play is the tempest.

my doctor recommended i find some social hobby and my mate paul recommended internet forums. i'm rubbish with computers but paul was gracious enough to help me set up my old computer and create this profile (he even found a nice picture for me!) and all that for a fiver too! i was looking for a community like this to talk about books and find some friends and so far this seems like a capital place, spot on! really happy to have found my way here. i'm still trying to suss out how to use the internet so please be patient.

time for a cuppa! (probably the reason i'm still up at this hour)
dave
'To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.'
William Shakespeare

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 18, 2012, 01:16:29 AM »

Welcome Dave, I hope chatting with the loonies here helps you alleviate the symptoms of your depression :)

If you wish to read new fantasy by not-yet-published authors, I'd suggest taking a look at the "Work to be critiqued" section, specially my novel :P

Nah, any comment you make on any of the threads there will be surely welcome, whether it's positive or negative ^_^.

If you need any help whatsoever, be it with recommendations on books (not only fantasy!) or with other, internet-related stuff, please don't hesitate to ask. While I'm quite new at this wonderful community, I get the impression they're all most wonderful folks!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #704 on: October 18, 2012, 01:18:10 AM »
Welcome Dave. I hope the good folks can help you with your writing and reading pleasure.