September 18, 2019, 06:24:35 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246869 times)

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #675 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
Hi, I'm new. I've followed the blog for a while, though.

I'm married, got two children who are almost grown up and a St Bernard boy, Georg that we adopted last Christmas. Georg was a lonely, sad and very sick little() boy when he arrived. Spending months getting him well again and trained, did not only improve Georg's health and mood, it did wonders for mine as well. Living by the coast of southern Norway, we enjoy the breathtakingly beautiful nature every day, going hiking in the woods, or for walks down to the sea. Watching the sea on a calm, sunny day is great, but watching it on stormy day is downright spectacular.

Why did I join? I love stories. I love reading them, listening to them and writing them. If the story is good, I enjoy it regardless of genre, but Fantasy and Sci Fi are my favorites.

Welcome, Cara. That's really quite honorable, what you did for that kid. Really quite selfless. ;D

Hope you enjoy your stay 'round here. I'm loving my stay here so far. And uh, my sister is actually named Kara, though I've never actually called her by her name. (In my country, since she is my elder, I call her by the designated honorific, Manang.)

Anyways, once again, welcome. And enjoy.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Cara

« Reply #676 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
Just to avoid misunderstandings. Georg is a St Bernard dog. He's our tiny pup  ;)
Meet Georg:

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #677 on: October 08, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
Just to avoid misunderstandings. Georg is a St Bernard dog. He's our tiny pup  ;)
Meet Georg:

Aye, I figured. I can't imagine what size in years to come if that's actually tiny. xD

I had a Pekingese. Had to give her away. It was a real sad endeavor.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline ccrogers3d

« Reply #678 on: October 08, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »
Hi, I'm new.  :)

My name is CC. I'm a software engineer and a mom. My husband stays at home with our two kids.

I found my way here because I'm "hitting the streets" promoting the graphic novel I just finished, and my Google search turned up the thread where I can ask for reviews. Now I've checked out the rest of the place and am settling in because it looks like my kind of place!

I mostly read Fantasy and Sci fi, although recently I've started reading some Romance if it has good characters and a decent plot. I haven't had much time to read in the past few years (because of making my own book and raising two kids) but that will pick up now that my book is done.

Some of my favs include Chronicles of Narnia, Sword of Truth, Wheel of Time, Discworld, The Sandman, and Harry Potter. The most recent book I've read is American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

I also haven't had time to watch many movies lately, but saw The Avengers last weekend. I am a HUGE fan of Joss Whedon's storytelling and enjoyed Buffy, Angel and Firefly.

Glad to be here and looking forward to "meeting" folks!

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #679 on: October 08, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
Welcome! :) Hope you have a fab time here, and we look forward to getting to know you :D
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 08, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »

Why did I join? I love stories. I love reading them, listening to them and writing them. If the story is good, I enjoy it regardless of genre, but Fantasy and Sci Fi are my favorites.

If you like reading stories, would it be too much to ask for you to take a look at my Work in Progress, on the "Work to be critiqued section"?

If you want some feedback on your stories, you could post some of your work there. The ones who read and comment are extra nice, specially me! :D
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »
Glad to be here and looking forward to "meeting" folks!

Welcome, Mrs. Rogers, I hope you find your stay in this quiet, remote corner of cyberspace, quite enjoyable!
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Cara

« Reply #682 on: October 08, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes :)

I'll be checking out the stories and commenting. Maybe I'll add some of my short stories, we'll see :)

Offline Caroline Bott

« Reply #683 on: October 08, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
I'll be sure to check them out, though. I'm currently trying to find a new book to read. Any suggestions on which book from which author should I start with?
Arya was definitely featured in book 2. I remember because she was one of the three PoV's that I looked forward to when reading a Clash of Kings. Her, Jon, and Tyrion were my favorite characters among The Clash of Kings.

I really hated Cat Stark, though, the wife of Ned. Annoyed me to no end. ;D

OK Don't remember Cat.  There was a character I didn't take to (SPOILER WARNING) - the one in book 2 who hatches the dragon eggs.

Still getting my head around where to post things - so recommendations - should I put that in the review area of the forum?  Or answer you here?
(BTW - do you also read science fiction?  Several of the authors in my list write both.)

Caroline, just a comment on the bolded comment about A Song of Ice and Fire. That description sounds like Arya Stark, it doesn't fit any other PoV character. Arya is actually the ONLY PoV character to feature in all 5 of the books thus far. She only had small roles in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, but she was most definitely in them.

Elfy - thanks, hadn't realised that now there were sequels to the Hedge Knight, must go and look for them.

Regarding Arya Stark - I think it was probably Arya.  Certainly was one of the younger Stark daughters.  Its some years since I read the two Song of Ice and Fire books (shows how vivid they are that I remember them).  Just remember being disappointed that the fencing character didn't continue or maybe it was only appeared a little.  So has the fencing stopped/been stopped?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:41:49 PM by Caroline Bott »

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #684 on: October 08, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
There are two Stark girls, Sansa is the older and Arya the younger. She's basically taken what Syrio taught her and channeled it in different directions. I'm being rather vague because I don't wish to spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet read the books. I'd recommend you watch the show if you like the Arya character, though. The girl who plays her; Maisie Williams, is brilliant in the role. She even learned to fence left handed, because Arya in the book is a lefty. The female character, the one with the dragon eggs, that you didn't take to is Danaerys (sp?) Targaryen, one of the claimants to the Iron Throne. Cat Stark, who appears on many readers 'don't like' lists is the mother of the Stark kids (Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon).
Welcome to Cara, I can imagine adopting a St Bernard is much the same as adopting a child. I remember seeing one take it's owner for a walk one day.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #685 on: October 09, 2012, 07:19:57 AM »
Actually, I've been meaning to read some more science fiction, so I'd be cool if you recommended some to me. You could just Private Message them or just post here, btw. ;D

Offline Cara

« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »
Welcome to Cara, I can imagine adopting a St Bernard is much the same as adopting a child. I remember seeing one take it's owner for a walk one day.

Thanks :) Yes, a pup needs a lot of care. Oh, I've seen that too. Georg would certainly take me on a fly-ride if he so decided. Luckily, he believes I'm the bosslady  ;) He's true to what some people call these monsters; A gentle giant.

As for Sci Fi, one of the best books I've read is Iain Bank's "The Algebraist" I also enjoyed China Mieville's "Ambassytown". Brandon Sanderson has a series that is rather Sci Fi "The Stormlight Archives". The first book "The Way of Kings" was great.

Offline Caroline Bott

« Reply #687 on: October 09, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
Hi to Cara from another newbie

We used to live opposite to people with a St Bernard.  As it grew it learnt to get out (until they really upgraded their fences).  The first time it wandered round our house into the back garden I thought somebody's calf was on the loose.  Very amiable dog, not a problem, just a little startling.

Seeing someone take a large dog for a walk while they ride on a push bike, holding onto the dog's lead is interesting.  Best done on a very quiet road.  ;D  (Not a St Bernard, think it was a Great Dane - I can understand why you'd want to be on a push bike but.....)

Oh - and have you seen or read James Herriot?  There is a "tow" scene with a bullock in a field with cow pats.

@Jian - will have a think and come back on that.

@Elfy - thanks.   Not yet seen the show, vaguely on my to-look-out-for list.  Will put it on my active list (so to speak).  Seeing fencing done well is always pleasing.  (On which subject, have you seen the Princess Bride?)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #688 on: October 09, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »
(On which subject, have you seen the Princess Bride?)

Inconceivable!

On that note, Welcome to the Forums!  ;D
Make Another World.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #689 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

Thanks :) Yes, a pup needs a lot of care. Oh, I've seen that too. Georg would certainly take me on a fly-ride if he so decided. Luckily, he believes I'm the bosslady  ;) He's true to what some people call these monsters; A gentle giant.

As for Sci Fi, one of the best books I've read is Iain Bank's "The Algebraist" I also enjoyed China Mieville's "Ambassytown". Brandon Sanderson has a series that is rather Sci Fi "The Stormlight Archives". The first book "The Way of Kings" was great.

Read Way of Kings. Loved it. Mieville's hard to get into, and Embassytown is most notorious for being the most "difficult" yet brilliant of his books. Might give it a try sometime. I'm already reading a bit of Banks, so I'll check that out some time.